Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2013, 02:16 AM   #1
New Camper

I just purchased a 2014 Elevation 3912 and I am experiencing a severe jerking front to rear (pushing and pulling motion). Iused a goose neck adapter initially and then replaced it with a more robust one and i'mstill having the jerking front to rear . I pulled the camper with another truck and still had the same issue. I'm wondering ifanyone has had the same and is this is normal for the 3912, or if I have an issue with the pin box frame mount?

thanks, billy
tracybilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:59 AM   #2
New Camper

Just wanted to say thanks to the 80 plus people who read this thread with no feedback . I figured out that the vertical leverage of a goose neck adapter causes flex in the frame wing box. Lippert Components Inc. (who makesmost allframes) only endorses the Reese "Goose Box" as an acceptable solution for those who want to use a goose neck hitch without voiding the warranty.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:27 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

As a matter of fact they will not honor the warranty if a goose neck is usedI would think I might go with a BW turn over and change the pin to A Demco glide rite or another style of pin. What you are experiancing is called chucking And that is caused by the highway surface truck length and the RV length.Look for a pin box that will take up that action.... There are a bunch out there that will work
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:15 AM   #4
Site Team

I'm sure if the 80 plus who looked at this had an answer they would have answered. Don't know a lot of people on here that use a goose neck, sorry. I think your answer is to go like fhenn said or try posting on the rv.net open roads forum. A lot more people there.

Good luck.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:19 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracybilly
Just wanted to say thanks to the 80 plus people who read this thread with no feedback . I figured out that the vertical leverage of a goose neck adapter causes flex in the frame wing box. Lippert Components Inc. (who makesmost allframes) only endorses the Reese "Goose Box" as an acceptable solution for those who want to use a goose neck hitch without voiding the warranty.

Not many onthe forumhave Elevations and very few people use gooseneck adapters on trailers this size - I wouldn't be upset that 80 people viewed this and nobody could comment on it. Personally, I wouldn't use a gooseneck adapter with that length and weight of unit, but that's just my preference. I assume that most of us who read this post initially couldn't comment because we don't have experience with a gooseneck adapter and more specifically your model/type of trailer.
Saskatoon, SK
WildWildWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 11:12 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWildWest
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracybilly

Not many onthe forumhave Elevations and very few people use gooseneck adapters on trailers this size - I wouldn't be upset that 80 people viewed this and nobody could comment on it. Personally, I wouldn't use a gooseneck adapter with that length and weight of unit, but that's just my preference. I assume that most of us who read this post initially couldn't comment because we don't have experience with a gooseneck adapter and more specifically your model/type of trailer.

X2. M arks suggestion</span>rv.net open roads forum may be more helpful. Good luck.</span>
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:00 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

I have a Husky articulated hitch - never used a goose neck.

I was one of the "80" - wish I had the solution too.

Our unit will do it when I hit a very uneven section of the road or going on and off bridges that do not have a level entrance or exit.

I have air bags inflated to 45 lbs. I replaced the OEM shocks at 22,000 miles and that helped some. Letting off on the accelerator when it starts does seem to help to get rid of the jerking. When the jerking stops I re-apply the accelerator (I do check to make sure my action dies not cause someone to rear-end the trailer).

It all could be how well the trailer is balanced and how much weight is on the truck. A tow hauler may be affected more because the weight is taken off the pin/truck as you load up the tow hauler.

I do not think the problem can be eliminated. Have you checked to see if it makes a difference loaded or unloaded? Also water/fuel in the tanks or the tanks empty?

Another cause may be "loose" jaws on a hitch - allows for for and aft movement - I know mine has some slop - they are not adjustable.

I did a "google search" - fifth wheel jerking front to rear. Allot of folks have the same problem. Some reduced the problem but never eliminated it.

Edited by: NorskeNY

2012 Cruiser Patriot CF335SS.

2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

https://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...ailerKeuka.jpg
NorskeNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:27 AM   #8
New Camper

Thanks for the feedback. I understand the nature of hauling something so big. In the last few days I have become much more educated. There are several viable options to reduce the jerking. I just have to figure out which oneis next for me. I need the bed of my truck and my physical condition will not allow me to move in and out a 5th wheel hitch.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:54 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Some folks remove rail pins and raise hitch from bed and leave it attached to king pin. Trailer jacks do the lifting. I have never done it others with more info may post.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:42 AM   #10
New Camper

UPDATE!

Crossroads and Lippert both endorse the "Reese Goose Box" as the only solution for those who wish to pull their 5er with a goose-neck hitch and not void their warranty. My dealer should have known that before selling me the adapter he did.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:35 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

Thanks for updating the post. Sorry to hear they recommended the wrong adapter. Is your dealer going to give you a terrific deal on the correct one?
Saskatoon, SK
Old 10-06-2013, 01:46 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

Hi Billy,
Better that 80 people read your post and don't respond because they have no knowledge of the issue than 80 people read it who know nothing about it and give you some inaccurate answer. I read a lot of posts but only respond to the very few that I feel I have some knowledge concerning the question. We are a good bunch so please don't give up on us.

Bruce
bandb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:43 AM   #13
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWildWest
Thanks for updating the post. Sorry to hear they recommended the wrong adapter. Is your dealer going to give you a terrific deal on the correct one?
Actually Crossroads is re-imbursing me for the Reese Goose Box and the dealer is issuing a refund for the adapter they sold me. BRAVO CROSSROADS!
Old 10-06-2013, 02:51 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

Great news. Seems more and more that CrossRoads is starting to step up again and work with the customer. Hope it continues.
Saskatoon, SK
Old 10-06-2013, 09:02 AM   #15
Full Time Camper

Good news.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:23 AM   #16
Full Time Camper

glad to hear you are being taken care of

Chris & Karen- Heyworth, Illinois
2009 CF32BL pulled by a 2011 RAM 2500 CTD 4x4
PullRite Superglide 18K hitch
2015stats:
Nights: 28
Miles: 3245
longhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:02 PM   #17
Full Time Camper

Send a message via MSN to tator447

Glad to hear all is well. I took my fifth wheel down to my dealer for winterizing and storage, and the installation of the new couch that CR's sent me. My dealer tells me that he believes things are going to be getting better with the new people that have been brought in. He says, but don't quote him, they may even bring the 2+5 warranty back. It won't help me much, or others who have already purchased new units...it is not in their best interest to do it retroactively, but if they do bring it back that would sure help with those that look forward to buying new units.

Travel well,
Jim

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
2013 Crusier CF34SS GMC 3500 8.1L Dually
154 nights in 2013 - 4,370 miles
178 nights in 2014 - 5,082 miles
365 nights in 2015 - 6,040 miles
tator447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:08 PM   #18
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandb
Hi Billy,
Better that 80 people read your post and don't respond because they have no knowledge of the issue than 80 people read it who know nothing about it and give you some inaccurate answer. I read a lot of posts but only respond to the very few that I feel I have some knowledge concerning the question. We are a good bunch so please don't give up on us.

Bruce
X2
Reese DC
hondavalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:59 PM   #19
New Camper

Update

The Reese GooseBox is highly recommended. Coach pulls like a dream.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:54 PM   #20
Family Vacation Member

FWIW I have the trail air king pin (with air bag) with a curt 20K hitch in a 2013 Ram 2500 SRW.

I have quite literally ZERO chocking effect and other than the weight, the 3912 pulls like a dream.

Hope you get your's figured out.

2013 Elevation 3912
2017 Dodge RAM 3500HD Dually with AISIN
2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R
englishmatt is offline   Reply With Quote