Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2017, 10:36 PM   #1
New Camper

Pop Out Problems

Anyone have this problem?

I go to put the pop out sliders in, one on each dude of the kitchen and Livibg room, and the landing gear retracts. The sliders don't start moving until the landing gear is fully retracted. I had to use the control module for leveling to raise trailer up.

Then wife puts slides out, no oroblem. But when we went to slide back in, same problem landing gear retracts. Push slides out, landing gear extends. Have not touched the system at all, worked flawless up till this point.

I should also note that when sitting the system makes a cracking noise periodically. Like it's bleeding off. Here lately more than usual. No keaks anywhere though.

Any help would be appreciated.
rbellew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 07:06 AM   #2
Gone Traveling

If its a trailer (we don't know what you have unless you list it in your signature) hook it up to the tow vehicle & operate slides & jacks several times, sounds like there's something in the valves sticking open, operating them should clear it.
Once all slides & jacks are in/retracted check the hydrsulic fluid level, it should be within 1/4-1/2" from the fill opening, if it's low add 15w motorcycle fork oil to stop the popping/creaking.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 07:52 AM   #3
New Camper

Pop Out Problems

Thankyou. I'll do that and the fluid is well below the fine so I'll add. You pretty sure the motorcycle fork oil won't mess up the oil that's in there? Always heard some oils break down each other.

It's a 2015 Elevation Brickyard Toyhauler, 5th wheel. 42.5' not sure exact model number at this moment.

Rick.
Old 08-20-2017, 01:15 PM   #4
Gone Traveling

The motorcycle fork oil was put in mine by the guys at the factory service center & no hydraulic issues in over 4 years. They actually removed 1 quart of existing fluid a replaced with the fork oil to stop the popping/creaking I was experiencing. So yes I'm fully confident it will be fine to mix these oils. Also your Elevation was built on the same assembly line by the same folks as my Redwood.
As I mentioned, be sure ALL slides are in & ALL jacks are up before adding oil to the reservoir or you'll have an oily mess due to overfilling.
Old 08-21-2017, 07:14 AM   #5
New Camper

Pop Out problems

Hello,

Thanks travelin Texan. Although I didn't do anything, but operate the slides back and forth, all seems to be functioning fine now.

I did have a small amount of fluid leaking from the adjustment knobs. I tightened each about 1 turn.

I did discuss the fluid type with the dealer, they said automatic transmission fluid. I'm more comfortable with the fork oil!!

Cross my fingers his will be the last problem.

Another topic, at the 9 setting on a dometic fridge, what temp should fridge be? I get 37 using a laser temp gun. 20 in freezer. Should the fridge be colder? One open of the door and that 37 drops to 41 for an hour, sometimes longer.

Rick
Old 08-21-2017, 07:33 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

A small circulating fan helps, if you dont have one. Also, we rotate frozen bottles of water from the freezer to the fridge, and thawed back to the freezer.
Helps stabilize temp changes.
2015 ST270BH
https://burgpath.us/photos/index.php?cat=13
Burgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 07:38 AM   #7
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbellew View Post
Hello,

Thanks travelin Texan. Although I didn't do anything, but operate the slides back and forth, all seems to be functioning fine now.

I did have a small amount of fluid leaking from the adjustment knobs. I tightened each about 1 turn.

I did discuss the fluid type with the dealer, they said automatic transmission fluid. I'm more comfortable with the fork oil!!

Cross my fingers his will be the last problem.

Another topic, at the 9 setting on a dometic fridge, what temp should fridge be? I get 37 using a laser temp gun. 20 in freezer. Should the fridge be colder? One open of the door and that 37 drops to 41 for an hour, sometimes longer.

Rick

Glad that worked out on your slides.
Can't help with the Dometic Dometic fridge, mines a Norcold. But mine is set on 6 & with the fridge thermometer hanging in mine the fridge is always in the normal range (the thermometer just has a green section for normal, no numbers) so I'm guessing 34-38 & the freezer stuff stays frozen.

Tags
2015 ekevation brickyard, landing gear, lippert, pop out problems