Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2016, 11:28 AM   #1
Seasonal Camper

Stereo speakers wired wrong

I like the speakers in the garage and outside where I grill. I noticed something sounded weird the other day though. I scratched my head and finally realized that both of the outside speakers only playing one channel (left or right, I can't tell). I thought that was odd and made a mental note to mention it to my dealer. Then when I was working in the garage Light My Fire by The Doors came on and it occurred to me that this song has very distinct left/right channels, so I stopped and listened in the garage and sure enough there was no organ. I flipped on the outside speakers and walked out there and heard the organ channel. So evidently they wire both of the inside speakers to one channel and both of the outside ones to the other channel.

I spent about twenty minutes looking for the stereo removal tools. I knew I'd seen them around and finally found them in a drawer. I pulled the stereo thinking it would be a simple fix and I compared the wiring diagram from the documentation to the actual wiring. Sure enough only one set of left/right were used and the others were taped into an unused bundle.

I started to fix it myself, but I couldn't figure out which wires were which without pulling things apart more. The fact that the lines go into the Speakers A & Speakers B toggle switch complicates things, because they used the same color wiring and nothing was labeled.

I decided I didn't want to futz with this on Father's Day and just put it all back together and put it on my growing list of warranty items for the dealer to fix.
dedmiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 12:08 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Inside and outside should be wired to FRONT and REAR, keeping the left and right sides proper for each. Then you use the FADE to move between sets, not Balance.
Mark my words, you'll be better off doing it yourself.
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 05:13 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

you're not the only one. I noticed on the day we brought the unit home that I had no outside speakers at all and my inside was wired incorrectly as well. So I just popped out the head unit and a couple of the wires for the outside speakers had completely come loose and like you said they wired the speakers all to one side. long story short I just cut it all loose and redid the inside and outside speakers correctly with some crimp connectors and taped them up real well so I don't have to worry about it popping loose bouncing around going down the road. Fortunately so far this is the "biggest" problem I have run into with the trailer. Hopefully it remains that way

.... Everyday is a good day for Camping....
Poppabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 06:01 PM   #4
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppabear View Post
you're not the only one. I noticed on the day we brought the unit home that I had no outside speakers at all and my inside was wired incorrectly as well. So I just popped out the head unit and a couple of the wires for the outside speakers had completely come loose and like you said they wired the speakers all to one side. long story short I just cut it all loose and redid the inside and outside speakers correctly with some crimp connectors and taped them up real well so I don't have to worry about it popping loose bouncing around going down the road. Fortunately so far this is the "biggest" problem I have run into with the trailer. Hopefully it remains that way
I'm glad you fixed yours and I'm even more glad that this was the only defect. I've had a longer list, but we're knocking the issues out.

So yeah, I wimped out. I should have fixed it myself, but:

* It was in the high 90s
* I can't get the AC in the garage to come on, no matter which other ACs are or aren't running in the coach
* The unit is up over my head and all I had was a step stool
* It was Father's Day and I didn't feel like it
Old 06-22-2016, 09:21 PM   #5
Gone Traveling

Yep. They daisy chained the speakers in my 5er. The only fix is to run new wire and I haven't gotten there yet.
Chateau Duke To Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 10:57 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau Duke To Go View Post
Yep. They daisy chained the speakers in my 5er. The only fix is to run new wire and I haven't gotten there yet.
It turns out that's what they did on ours too. Somebody at the factory should get his butt kicked for that. The dealer got approval to rewire ours, but it's going to be a big job. It would have been so much easier/faster to just do it correctly at the factory.
Old 10-13-2016, 12:57 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

Good info as we pick up our unit tomorrow and this is on our PDI list. Appreciate the info, sorry to hear about the troubles.

Thanks,

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedmiston View Post
It turns out that's what they did on ours too. Somebody at the factory should get his butt kicked for that. The dealer got approval to rewire ours, but it's going to be a big job. It would have been so much easier/faster to just do it correctly at the factory.
Old 10-13-2016, 01:12 PM   #8
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxr515 View Post
Good info as we pick up our unit tomorrow and this is on our PDI list. Appreciate the info, sorry to hear about the troubles.

Thanks,

Mike
Go through it with a fine toothed comb and don't take any lip from the dealer. The shoddy workmanship, low quality materials and the shady dealers pemiating Crossroads and the RV industry as a whole is astounding and infuriating. If anything big is wrong, don't close the sale. That is your biggest leverage over the dealer to get it fixed to YOUR satisfaction.
Chateau Duke To Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 01:22 PM   #9
Seasonal Camper

Good advice.

Also get all your "Due bill" items in writing and make sure you get a copy.

Check for a fresh water drain valve.

Have them show you how to manually operate the slides and level-up jacks in case something goes wrong. Our tech showed me and it went in one ear and out the other.
Old 10-13-2016, 01:25 PM   #10
Seasonal Camper

Ooh - One other item. It might be too cool by now back in NJ for this to work, but run all the air conditioners long enough for the condensation to run off so you can see that the rain gutters are working. We have a gap in one of ours and it leaves a streak down the outside wall.

Also bring a fuel jug with you so you can test the fuel station.

Make sure your wife has a notepad and can take notes for you.

HAVE FUN!
Old 10-13-2016, 02:12 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

PDI

Thanks guys, all added to my list and I put together a lengthy PDI document and my wife and a good friend of mine will be going through it all with me. I'll bring some gas to be safe but will be pushing to make sure they have fueled and tested the generator already. Weather forecast is showing 50 degrees at 9am tomorrow so we'll get to test the air to ensure it's working as well as the controls but not so much for how well it cools etc. They already had a short list from us which they were working on but minor things.

Appreciate all the advice,

Thanks again,

Mike
Old 10-13-2016, 03:47 PM   #12
Gone Traveling

Use an IPad or tablet to record the complete PDI, guarantee due to the excitement you'll miss/forget 50% & this way you'll have it recorded to refresh your memory. You will still be asking questions here as most dealers don't know how to operate 50% of the systems on the units their selling, but will try to baffle you with BS.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 06:36 PM   #13
Weekend Camper

My wife will be taking notes on my laptop so we can capture anything we find and taking pics or videos as needed along the way. I could always use my sons GoPro, I'm sure they would get a kick out of that. They told us that they alot 2 hours for the PDI and schedule 3 per day but I'm not rushing through..

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Use an IPad or tablet to record the complete PDI, guarantee due to the excitement you'll miss/forget 50% & this way you'll have it recorded to refresh your memory. You will still be asking questions here as most dealers don't know how to operate 50% of the systems on the units their selling, but will try to baffle you with BS.
Old 10-14-2016, 07:18 AM   #14
Seasonal Camper

I also suggest inspecting the roof while there.
2015 ST270BH
https://burgpath.us/photos/index.php?cat=13
Burgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 06:44 PM   #15
Weekend Camper

PDI

I started a new thread with our completed PDI as I don't want to clutter up Dave's thread anymore than I already have.

Thanks everyone