Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2014, 08:48 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Transverse Dragging of tires in turns

Hi everyone,
I am towing a three axle fifth wheel. I noticed the other day while I was turning around in my cul-de-sac, that when turning sharply (not 90 deg, but probably 70-75 deg), the forward axle wheel on the inside of the turn was basically being dragged sideways as the trailer pivoted on the center axle. The drag seemed like it would pull the tire off the rim, or at least unseat it from the seal. The aft axle inside wheel had a similar issue in the opposite direction. I presume the front and rear axle tires on the outside of the turn were in the same situation. The fifth wheel is rated at 18,000lbs, but I am only towing it at 15,700lbs.
Have any of you experienced issues like this, and have your tires ever been damaged?

2014 Elevation 3616 5er
2015 F350 6.7L Diesel 4X4 - long bed, dually
Jerry Pinkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 08:56 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

All multi axle trailers will do that if turned tightly, why they suggest you not do it any more than necessary

our g614 tires outboard ridge actually are 'bald' (no tread or siping)
bet it's to allow easier sliding when turning..

but it still 'twists' the wheels out of alignment when twisted...

http://www.goodyeartrucktires.com/ti...rodline=160007
Old 12-09-2014, 09:37 AM   #3
Site Team

jb2 is correct
It's also hard on all the suspension when the turns are real sharp.
It's a good practice to remember when you've had to crank it off real sharp, To pull ahead some when you get it straightened out then back up to where you want to be. This will take the stress off the wheels, tires, axles, and springs.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:40 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Thanks guys. I had heard about this before. I just never saw how extreme it can be..
I live on a cul-de-sac, so every return trip will involve this turn, followed up by a fairly sharp backing turn into my driveway.

2014 Elevation 3616 5er
2015 F350 6.7L Diesel 4X4 - long bed, dually
Jerry Pinkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 06:29 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

You can also minimize the stress by taking more time making the turn. What I mean is don't do a single forward turn, instead stop part way thru the turn, reverse steering and back up a few feet, and repeat this several times. Since you live on a cul-de-sac, the extra time shouldn't cause any difficulty for others. As already stated, there is risk of suspension damage with severe turns. And I believe hidden damage to tire casings with these sharp turns also contributes to blow-outs later with expensive repairs.

Rarely is it necessary to make a near 90 degree turn. A little jockeying back and forth will also get the job done, so I use this technique with tight camp sites as well.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote