Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2014, 01:27 PM   #1
New Camper

Worst Unit ever! Elevation Toy hauler

My husband and I bought a 2014 crossroads elevation January of 2014, and it has been a nightmare. The service company we use have been great but the maufacturer is aweful and do not stand behind their units. It has been in the shop since we bought it for problem after problem. I beleive this is the 7th time. It has been malfunctioning slide-outs, at seperate occations. Roof leak on a brand new unit. The A/C does not cool the back of the unit. The heat wouldnt work at all. The molding was peeling away in multiple locations inside the camper. If you have lots of money to waste or dont really want to use the unit than this may be for you. The company takes their time sending parts for repairs and thats if you can get anyone on the phone. Oh and it does not come with a ladder to access the bunk that is too high to reach in the back, if you buy an RV ladder for a bunk it cant be installed because there is not a solid frame to attach it to, just facia. Hope this helps anyone in the market looking to purchase a toy hauler because they sure got one over on us.
Crissy595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 02:47 PM   #2
Family Vacation Member

Hello, and welcome to the forum. It is too bad that your experience has been so poor. We pay good money for these expensive units and save up to afford them. They should be a source of relaxation and enjoyment, not frustration.

That said, every manufacturer and every model have some minor flaws. These are complicated units and there is often a repair or two needed under warranty. The same goes for new cars and trucks. However it would seem that your unit is not typical and has some sort of plague. Maybe it was built on a Friday near the end of the shift.

2013 Sunset Trail 31BH
TrainSafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 03:45 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Sorry to hear about your troubles, but like Ted said everything has its issues unfortunately, and it sucks when your hard earned money is spent and you don't get to enjoy it. I for one have had a good experience with dealing with CR directly. If it was me I would keep calling CR and going up the chain til my problems were resolved. With it being under warranty they should make things right. I hope you guys all the best with getting everything fixed to your satisfaction.

Chris & Karen- Heyworth, Illinois
2009 CF32BL pulled by a 2011 RAM 2500 CTD 4x4
PullRite Superglide 18K hitch
2015stats:
Nights: 28
Miles: 3245
longhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 06:30 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Have you talked directly to crossroads or is that what your dealership has told you? Many have thought the dealership was great and crossroads was the problem until they talked to crossroads directly. Do not email them, you need to call crossroads directly. I would ask them to take the unit back to the factory for repairs on their dime. Most who have had the repairs done at the factory have bern pleased with the results. Good luck getting things fixed.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:56 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Sorry to hear about your issues,

I've called customer service about half a dozen times since April of 2013 and have waited around 2 minutes on hold and spoke directly with a service rep.

I agree with Anaro that you need to go up the chain in Crossroads. They've bent over backwards for me every time I've called. I understand that's not of help to you but after the 3rd or 4th time, they should be sending this back to the factory.

I've spoke to Terry about half the times I've called. If he takes your call, don't forget to wish him a happy birthday (20th).

I'm sorry, but your experience is not consistent to most other forum members, I don't want to point fingers here, but you may want to completely bypass the dealer at this point.

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 08:27 PM   #6
Gone Traveling

I would contact Crossroads directly. I have had a couple of issues and they sent me parts directly to accomplish the repair myself. They were good to work with for me. Disappointingly, it has been my experience over the last 9 months that the dealers can not be trusted and make stereotypical used care salesmen look like choir boys.
Chateau Duke To Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 11:58 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Crossroads has alway responded when I have called them. I have found that the dealer sometimes will tell me things like they are waiting on Crossroads, then when i call Crossroads to see what the hold up is, The dealer never actually sent the request. Like others have said call Crossroads...

Jason & Wendy
2014 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L PSD
2015 Keystone Montana 3711FL
B&W Patriot 16K Fifth Wheel Hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 03:29 PM   #8
New Camper

Crissy, On the elevation toy hauler, I have one that I just bought yesterday. One thing I have noticed in the manual is that the bed in the back can be adjusted. There are little black stoppers inside the rails that can be unscrewed, adjusted to the right hieght and screwed back in. haven't done it yet though. Have you tried?
321mti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 11:16 AM   #9
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crissy595 View Post
My husband and I bought a 2014 crossroads elevation January of 2014, and it has been a nightmare. The service company we use have been great but the maufacturer is aweful and do not stand behind their units. It has been in the shop since we bought it for problem after problem. I beleive this is the 7th time. It has been malfunctioning slide-outs, at seperate occations. Roof leak on a brand new unit. The A/C does not cool the back of the unit. The heat wouldnt work at all. The molding was peeling away in multiple locations inside the camper. If you have lots of money to waste or dont really want to use the unit than this may be for you. The company takes their time sending parts for repairs and thats if you can get anyone on the phone. Oh and it does not come with a ladder to access the bunk that is too high to reach in the back, if you buy an RV ladder for a bunk it cant be installed because there is not a solid frame to attach it to, just facia. Hope this helps anyone in the market looking to purchase a toy hauler because they sure got one over on us.
Not sure I saw the model of the Elevation you purchased...

I've not had to call CR yet, my dealer has been great about getting my unit IN and OUT for repairs where needed.

I purchased a 3912 Nov 13. For one reason or another it's been in the shop for 5 of the 7 months I've owned it. That said, not all the problems were CR's fault..but about 15 issues were.

My dealer (Southern RV in GA) has been excellent. When we decide to either upgrade or change our unit, we will work with Southern RV. I expected issues, albeit my expectations are on the edge of dissapointment. We are a younger RV family (40, 35, 15 and 13) so liked the Elevation of a number of reasons over the Raptor, Voltage, Road Warrior...the list goes on.

I've had a entirely NEW roof (most major) and other weird issues like the black tank flush valve being installed backwards...and I couldn't flush it.

I had various pieces of trim come loose and start to separate both internally and externally, the dealer took care of these issues and it looks better now that it did from new.

I've had the LED strips replaced in the main awning and the speaker brackets replaced in the garage because they ripped out the walls.

I too noticed the heat in the living area was nonexistent. It turned the main bedroom and the bathroom into a sauna though. Dealer cut out about 50% of the heating ducting to make a straigher route to the register and it's fixed the issue somewhat.

BUT...I AGREE that one of the most annoying thing is that the garage area doesn't come with a ladder. Very frustrating kids that I have to provide a step ladder or stack my coolers for them to climb on.

All that said, I've not written off the Elevation yet. If I can go through 2014 problem free...I'll be on the way to recovery.

I hope you're Elevation get better and you guys can start enjoying it.

Matt.

2013 Elevation 3912
2017 Dodge RAM 3500HD Dually with AISIN
2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R
englishmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 03:06 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

Have not used my upper bunk yet, and knew going in that a regular ladder would not work as the sides will not support the ladder. The material under the mattress is plywood, and perhaps a pair of pipe fittings like a galvanized iron floor flange screwed into the plywood (at the foot end of the mattress) would allow a ladder with a 180 degree bend at the top to anchor the ladder. Ladders are not cheap and the reasons there are none provided are not given, however I'm going to explore this option with an old motorhome exterior ladder I have. Thinking the ladder would need to be sized correctly to not tip the upper bed, so it may not work. If it works I'll post some pics.
Denny
President, Susquehanna Valley Chapter Shelby Dodge Auto Club (SDAC).
denviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 04:35 PM   #11
Seasonal Camper

I dont believe him. 1st post with no replys. Could be a plant. Seen it before.

2020 Ram 2500 Bighorn 6.7 Diesel
2014 Zinger 27RL (Traded)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
markandkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 05:02 AM   #12
Seasonal Camper

See, I told ya! A plant.

2020 Ram 2500 Bighorn 6.7 Diesel
2014 Zinger 27RL (Traded)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
markandkim is offline   Reply With Quote