Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2015, 08:09 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Exclamation 2015 Z-218TD weight info

Throwing some weight info for others since there has been very little info on the web for any true readings. This is off of an agricultural scale nearby. I spent some time with it loaded on the front with 2 sport atv's, roughly 800 lbs combined. This includes 2 batteries and 2 propane tanks.

760lbs - Tongue weight
1280lbs- Tongue weight with 2 atv's with combined weight close to 800lbs
5380lbs- Dry empty total weight, no atv's

Brochure states 604lbs for the hitch weight, keep in mind this does not include propane tanks or batteries. Add however much water you want at 8.345lbs per gallon.

5797lbs- Empty deck, 50gals of water just doing the math.

Now hitch ratings on the 2006 2500HD that I use for work states it is capable of 1000lbs tongue weight with no system and 1500lbs tongue weight using WD set up. This was another item I seen on the internet with people guesstimating. Don't do that folks, its not rocket science to just read what is on the trucks. I am sure this info will help others as they search this new crossbreed of toyhaulers. These are 1/2 ton towable (with an empty deck mind you) providing you have right final drive gearing if you go into the hills and have transmission and oil cooler. Here is some gearing ratio's. Look in the glovebox on your RPO codes and you will know what your vehicle has. 4.10 would be ideal. My 1500 has the 3.42 so it will be used basically just to bring trailer home from storage to prep for camping, then using the in-laws 2500 for the journey. Would be great to have others who have different loads on the decks to post in here as well so we can gather more info.

GT4
Rear Axle: 3.73 Ratio

GT5
Rear Axle: 4.10 Ratio

GU4
Rear Axle: 3.08 Ratio

GU6
Rear Axle: 3.42 Ratio

G80
Rear Axle: Positraction

HC4
Rear Axle: 4.56 Ratio

HC7
Rear Axle: 5.13 Ratio
morphrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 11:09 PM   #2
Family Vacation Member

Here is another little tid bit I found on the scales today. By filling water tank from completely drained, it eases up on the tongue weight by 80 lbs. plenty of ways to play with tongue weight yet. Can always have batteries in the front of truck bed, fully charged until campsite, so that can ease up the weight left on deck.
morphrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 01:13 PM   #3
New Camper

I just took my 2014 Z251TD out for it first trip with an empty deck. My TV is a 2015 Silverado 1500 with 5.3L and 3.42 gears. Went up Walker's Pass at a 7% grade with not too much trouble. Was running around 3000 - 3500 RPM on the steepest grades. Would not try that with a loaded front deck.