Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2019, 09:25 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Best jack point for 2017 Z-1 Lite 18-footer

Bought new GY Endurance tires and will replace the China Bombs even though they are brand new. Owners manual does not discuss changing tires in any detail. Our model is an 18-footer single axle Z-1 Lite. I have seen some posts where owners of small campers just lift up the rear end using the built-in leveling jacks, and others have suggested jacking directly in front of the tires using the main frame. Thoughts?
Old 10-09-2019, 09:43 AM   #2
Gone Traveling

Place your jack between the u bolts holding the axle to the springs directly behind the tire. Jacking up from the frame will require a very tall jack or lots of blocks, which to me is dangerous, to get it high enough to raise the tire off the ground. Be sure the jack is short enough to fit under the axle with a flat tire.
Been using this method 40+ years & never a problem
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 10:29 AM   #3
Site Team

Do not use the stabilizers. They are not jacks but are designed to stabilize the camper. I also jack under the axle on the inner u bolt and also have never had any problem. A word of advice make sure your jack will fit under with the tire flat. I carry 2 jacks a small 1.5 ton to raise it enough to get the 6 ton under it to change the tire. At home i have a floor jack so no problem.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 11:45 AM   #4
Site Team

What dagst1 said.
I would also add---make sure the tongue is secure so it/ the trailer can't move when you jack it up.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 03:23 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

Thanks Danny. Found a sweet spot directly in front of the tires using the frame, but you are right, as I had to use two 2x12 pieces of wood to get it high enough. Mission accomplished.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:54 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Skype™ to tomandlori
I would not up.any camper by the axle. It is hollow and very easily collapses. I have been told by multiple rv repair shops not to use the axle housing. Only jack up by the frame.
tomandlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 03:39 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

Between the axle u-bolts like texan said.

2020 Ram 2500 Bighorn 6.7 Diesel
2014 Zinger 27RL (Traded)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
markandkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 05:16 AM   #8
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Skype™ to tomandlori
I would not jack up a camper by the axle tube at all. It is hollow and can crush very easily with the weight of the camper.
tomandlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 05:57 AM   #9
Site Team

Jacking up from the axle will not crush the axle any more than the weight of the camper will crush it. In another thread about lug nut torque there is a video from Keystone that shows a large camper jacked up from the axle.

That being said if you are not comfortable jacking from the axle then don't do it. I have for a lot of years on many different campers and my utility trailer and have never crushed a axle.

What ever method you use to raise your camper make sure you do it safely!

HAPPY CAMPING
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 06:10 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

JACK POINTS
This is a contentious topic for sure. I emailed Keystone and asked, “For my Zinger 211RD where are the proper jack and jack stand points to raise one side of the trailer for service,” and they replied, “Thank you for your inquiry. You can do all 4 corners or at the rear about a foot behind the rear axle. We do recommend contacting your local Keystone dealer for assistance on repair(s) and or part(s) needed. If you need assistance locating a local dealership, you may utilize our online dealership locator: www.keystonerv.com If you have further questions or concerns please contact owner relations at (866) 425-4369 Monday-Thursday 8am-5pm or Friday 8am-4pm EST or e-mail myself or ownerrelations@keystonerv.com

STABILIZERS
I, like most of you have heard, “don’t jack from the axel,” and “corners are for stabilizing only, not lifting off the ground.” But then they tell me this. Here’s a secret I will admit, don’t tell anyone, one time when leaving camp, I let the tongue jack down having forgot to retract the front corner stabilizers putting all the weight of the front of the trailer on the stabilizer jacks. Nothing exploded.

CHINA BOMBS
I also heard all about the “China Bombs,” and I don’t doubt that there are plenty of crappy tires out there, but the ones on my Zinger dual axel have lasted about 5000 miles now, have worn evenly, and still have plenty of miles in them. This trailer came standard with 70mph speed rated tires. I’m going to keep driving them until they wear out of we have our first tire failure, THEN we will replace all four keeping the current unused spare as the spare.

I hope this information is useful to someone.

Les in Wentzville, MO
FenderBender is offline   Reply With Quote