Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2018, 08:45 PM   #1
New Camper

33 ft with a 1/2 ton

Towing a 33 ft TT that has max weight of 7200. 2011 Ford F 150 3.5 ecoboost V6. 4x4 3.73 ratio and its a supercrew. Hauling with a blue ox sway and WD hitch, 10,000lbs. Adding in air ride air bags 2,000lbs. Truck pulls very good. We increased psi on stock C tires to 45. Anything else we can do to ensure best towing with our TV And TT?
Ohio Heeler Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 08:58 PM   #2
Weekend Camper

Our previous TT was a 35’ Heartland that weighed a bit more. Towed it with our F150 identical specs to yours. No trouble towing/pulling with that EB engine. Got a Reese StraightLine Dual Cam WD hitch that helped a great deal with stability but it still got a little squirelly at 70MPH. Looks like you have as good a setup as you can get. Our new TT is 30’ and over 1000lbs lighter and the difference in stability is amazing.
Reese StraightLine WD w/dual cam sway control
Delillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:11 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

O Heeler M
There are a couple of members on this forum that are pulling a 5th wheel down the road with the EB Fords...I know that one of their 5ers dry weight is some where around 12,500 lbs...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 09:03 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

You might consider going to a D or even E rated tire at your next replacement. Pros - stiffer sidewall, higher pressure, more plys, all give you less tire flex, cooler running temps, higher load capacity (never exceed manufacturer ratings). Con is a stiffer ride when unloaded. I tow a 38' 8400lb unloaded trailer with my Tundra and when I changed from C to E rated tires it felt more stable towing. Just my $.02.
Old 03-17-2018, 11:56 AM   #5
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Heeler Mom View Post
Towing a 33 ft TT that has max weight of 7200. 2011 Ford F 150 3.5 ecoboost V6. 4x4 3.73 ratio and its a supercrew. Hauling with a blue ox sway and WD hitch, 10,000lbs. Adding in air ride air bags 2,000lbs. Truck pulls very good. We increased psi on stock C tires to 45. Anything else we can do to ensure best towing with our TV And TT?
Curious about the "2000lbs" when mentioning air bags? That air bags DO NOT increase the payload of your truck, they are to help level the truck when loaded ONLY.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 02:56 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

As mentioned, I would go to “E” rated tires. I would also go with the “5,000 lb” airbags. I had those on my f150 Ecoboost. Trailer was 31 feet, max weight 9,000+. It pulled fine, but I needed a better hitch as I got blown around with strong winds or passing trucks. It may have been more the lack of truck weight and the length of the trailer. The airbags and E rated tires helped overall. The Blue Ox Sway Pro is a good hitch. If you neeed something even better, you would need a ProPride or Hensley, which are very expensive.

The 33 ft is boarderline long if your truck wheelbase is standard, not long, but I think you’ll be good.

I traded to a F250 Diesel when we upsized the trailer.
Former: Crossroads ST26RB
Steve7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 04:39 PM   #7
Site Team

I would recommend the Roadmaster Active Suspension instead of the air bags. It does a lot more then help level the truck. Check it out.
https://activesuspension.com/

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 06:23 PM   #8
New Camper

On the air ride air bags it was either 2000 or 5000 lbs. Thinking that allows more weight on the springs?
Old 03-17-2018, 06:25 PM   #9
New Camper

The WB is 157?
Old 03-17-2018, 06:29 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Heeler Mom View Post
On the air ride air bags it was either 2000 or 5000 lbs. Thinking that allows more weight on the springs?
I went with the 5,000. 2,000 just seemed too low for possible loads with hitch weight, occupants and cargo. I’d rather be over.

Your axel ratings won’t increase, but it takes the weight off the springs. I liked the firmness of the ride myself. Lower the air when not carrying a load.
Old 03-17-2018, 11:19 PM   #11
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
I would recommend the Roadmaster Active Suspension instead of the air bags. It does a lot more then help level the truck. Check it out.
It also DOES NOT add to the payload rating. The only way to increase payload is to get more truck.
Old 03-18-2018, 06:33 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
It also DOES NOT add to the payload rating. The only way to increase payload is to get more truck.
No where in Mark's post did he state it would add to the payload.
He simply said check it out.

Here is part of their claim for those that haven't bothered to check.

Interested in knowing what you get when you purchase a kit? Well, here is what you need to know:
  • Improved Driver Control
  • Reduces Dangerous Roll when Cornering
  • Eliminates Axle Wrap and Wheel Hop
  • Allows the vehicle to carry manufacturer’s maximum load without bottoming out
  • Improves Stability in Cross winds Conditions
  • Prevents a Hard Ride
  • Improves Towing
  • Improves Hard Braking and Acceleration
  • Reduces Vehicle Sway
  • Minimizes Headlight Dazzle
  • Easy to Install
  • Comes with a 30 day Money Back Warrantee
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 11:40 AM   #13
Gone Traveling

Yes, I can read & comprehend!!
When he stated "it does a lot more than level the truck" I just wanted other readers to understand that regardless of what you add to a truck you WILL NOT increase the payload. Some people new to rving may read into the comments that they can haul more by adding air bags or some other add ons which is not the case. If their/any tow vehicle is rated at XXXX lbs, you cannot/will not increase that with add-ons. It's limited by the frame, tires, axles, & springs.
Don't know why you have to constantly critique my opinions on here?
Old 03-18-2018, 06:10 PM   #14
Site Team

I always hear that adding air bags and other devices does not increase the payload capacity. The question is, and the 2 statement below show this, if the rear axles wheels and frame on the f250/350 are basically the same, the only way Ford is increasing the payload is by stiffer or more springs. Since airbags are also used as springs on some vehicles, and the Roadmaster is an additional set of springs, would not the payload capacity be increased.
So, the 350 payload is increased by spring size and adding a larger block, what is the difference when you add the bags/ RAS parts, or even a helper spring?

Quote:
F250 vs F350: Axles

Depending on which year you Super Duty you’re looking at, the front axle may be a Dana 50 or Dana 60. Older F250s and F350s use the Dana 50, which is an excellent axle. Newer F250s and F350s use the Dana 60 which is slightly beefier than the Dana 50. All years of the SRW (Single Rear Wheel) F250 and F350 use the Ford/Sterling 10.75. The F350 gets a slightly larger center section, otherwise, it’s the same as the F250’s rear axle. All years of the dually receive the Dana 80.
Quote:
F250 vs F350: Suspension

All years of Super Duty trucks are available with heavy duty springs and standard springs. Both the F250 and the F350 have optional overload springs. The F350’s leaf springs are slightly stiffer, but it’s such a small difference you probably wouldn’t notice on the road. The F350 has stiffer springs up front as standard, the F250 has those same springs as an option. Something that surprised me is that both of these trucks come with factory blocks in the rear. The F250 is equipped with a 2.5″ block, which lifts the rear up to help the truck sit level whilst towing. The F350 comes factory with a 4″ rear block. The bigger rear block on the F350 gives it a slightly higher tow rating.
BTW TT, it's not critiquing, it's just a clarification of the situation so it doesn't cause a misunderstood condition that leads to misinformation

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Old 03-18-2018, 09:10 PM   #15
Site Team

TT is correct. A truck's payload is based upon its GVWR. It is the GVWR minus the empty weight. Adding an additional leaf to the springs or air bags does not increase the GVWR, though it may increase the truck's capability. The GVWR is specified by the manufacturer.

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2024: 2 trips, 25 nights in 8 states, 4611 miles
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 3904 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 09:27 PM   #16
Site Team

So when the GVWR is increased by the manufacturer by adding stiffer or more springs, it's just a matter of putting on new labels to satisfy themselves. Sounds like a numbers game to me. They haven't changed anything but the block and springs or in some cases an airbag. But if we do it ourselves, we're "overloading" the truck. It's like, "look, we put on heavier springs, now it's a F350 (or 3500). Yeah, pay the extra cost to go up 1 truck rating and I'll change the label at the factory."
Startin to sound like bull to me. It's a money making gimmick to me.

OK,,POPCORN TIME.
Attached Images
File Type: gif 200w.gif (278.0 KB, 144 views)

Old 03-18-2018, 10:01 PM   #17
Full Time Camper

Quote:
So when the GVWR is increased by the manufacturer by adding stiffer or more springs, it's just a matter of putting on new labels to satisfy themselves. Sounds like a numbers game to me. They haven't changed anything but the block and springs or in some cases an airbag. But if we do it ourselves, we're "overloading" the truck. It's like, "look, we put on heavier springs, now it's a F350 (or 3500). Yeah, pay the extra cost to go up 1 truck rating and I'll change the label at the factory."
Startin to sound like bull to me. It's a money making gimmick to me.

OK,,POPCORN TIME.
Agreed Mark...
Old 03-19-2018, 06:12 PM   #18
Family Vacation Member

Good luck figuring it out,I've been trying for 2 yrs now. I have a 250 that has the same payload as many of the 350's but yet it's still a 250. I look at the payload sticker and spring pack and block and still don't get it. Good luck just seams to be a way to sell more trucks 250 or 350 that ever your flavor may be.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:09 AM   #19
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
I second Mark's suggestion. We went with it when we bought our trailer with his comments on here about it. It helps markedly with squat, and unloaded, we don't notice much of a difference.

However, you say you have the 3.73, I'm assuming you have the Max Payload Package, so you have the long 6.5 ft bed? We have an 8,000 lb fully loaded 30 ft trailer pulled with the 3.5L eco short bed. handles fine when winds are less than 15 mph. above that with crosswinds, it gets a little hairy as another member said here when doing 65.

It's the perfect truck for trade-offs of everyday driver comfort, gas mileage, and towing ability. The questions you have to ask is how often are you going to be towing it, how long are your regular hauls, and where are you mostly going to be towing it? If there mostly short 2-3 hour drives in the Midwest, the F-150 is perfect. Unless you live in Nebraska. It can get a tad windy out that way I hear.

-Tim

TV: 2015 F-150 XLT Crew Cab 3.5L Eco 4x4 Max Tow
TT: 2017 26BB
SB: Catalina 22
NoodlesWIU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 03:14 PM   #20
New Camper

In Ohio, longest haul would be 2 hours one way. Yes we have the long bed. Almost all flat land where we go for now. And I have no idea how to determine if we have the max tow pack. It has the tow mirrors, the haul tow mode, built in sway help system, and the dash tells us inclines etc? Does that mean yes for max tow?