Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2009, 06:37 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

I just ordered my first 5th wheel. A Crossroads Cruiser CFQB10.

I will using a Dodge Mega 3500 Diesel to pull. With the design of the the new cap will I need a slider? How big of 5th wheel hitch should I go with? WHich one do you guys recommend?

Thanks
Jr66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 07:32 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Congratulations on your new Cruiser.

That depends. If you have an 8 foot box (long box) then it's not likely that you'll need a slider hitch, if you the 6 1/2 foot box (standard box) then you should go with a slider hitch. Even with the new cap design, there is still the possibility of the trailer hitting the truck cab on an extreme turn. A 16K hitch will more than adequate for your trailer.

Since you appear to be new at this, I suggust that you buy the truck frame mounting brackets that are made for your Dodge. It'll make installation quicker and the result is a much stronger mounting base for the hitch rails. Also, at the same time, buy a "BedSaver" that mounts on to the hitch. It'll protect you from having your trailer drop onto the truck bedrailsshould you happen to make a mistake when hitching up. It's thecheapest car insurance you'll ever buy.

If you intend to use a bedliner on your truck, you'll have to cut holes in it for mounting the rails and hardware. If you have a spray-in liner like Linex, then it won't be a problem.

http://www.blueox.us/Bedsaver/bedsaver.htm

http://www.reeseprod.com/Edited by: Hamops
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 07:43 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Congrats on your new cruiser. Went looking for your floorplan and could not find a cfqb10
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 09:56 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

Also congrats on your new trailer. I do not know the size of your trailer, however I agree with Hamops for the couple of extra $$ invest in a slider we do tend to get into awkward situations occasionally, uneven ground, slopes etc. the slider will give you extra maneuverability. I suggest for added flexibility make sure the head pivots. I have a Husky. I selected it becouse the release handle sits below the top of the truck side rails and I can close the bed cover when the trailer is not on. A 14 or 16k should do it.
see http://www.huskytow.com/Products.aspx
https://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r...aravan07-2.gif
pegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 09:59 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Congrats on your new Cruiser. If you have the 6' 5 '' bed like mine you will need to do something unless you are willing to risk a little contact between your Cruiser and your Ram. I don't recommend that.

I have a slider and it works well. I use it every time I get into a tight situation, even if I MIGHT not need to. It's worth the piece of mind for me.

However there may be another option for you and that is the Sidewinder king pin conversion by Reese. With it you use a standard, less expensive hitch and you don't have toremember toget out of your truck to move the hitch back every time you get into a tight situation or are backing into a site. The cost for a standard hitch plus the Sidewinder pin box is about $3-$400more than agood slider.

The benefits are not having to remember to get out and move the slider. Or worse, not moving the slider because you THOUGHT it wasn't needed and it WAS.It also will give you more room in your bed around the hitch. I have the Reese slider with the round slider tubes and it does use a lot of my bed space.

However I don't know what Crossroads and Lipperts position is on using this pin box. Will it void the warranty? If you are interested in going this way you should call Crossroads and/ or Lippert and get a written OK from them to do this. I wanted to do some grinding on my pin box mounting area and talked with a tech at Lippert and he had me send him an e mail with photos of the area I wanted to grind and he gave me the go ahead by e mail. Another option would be to call Randy M at Crossroads and see if they will put one on for you before delivery.

If Crossroads approved it I would have gone for that set up versus my slider if I had known about it when I got my Cruiser. I may still do it.

Hampos is absolutely right about getting the clamp on mounting brackets for the hitch. If you drill or weld on your Dodge frame it will void your truck frame warranty.

2007 CF30SK Cruiser

2006 Dodge 5.9 CTD,48e,4x4,QC

https://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...CRUISER1-1.jpg
Ridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 10:03 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

Sorry the model number is CF30QB
Jr66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 12:38 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

The bed saver add-on for the hitch is a good idea, however it adds a bunch of weight to the hitch. The extra weight won't affect the truck or towing but if you are like me and take the hitch out of the truck that extra weight might be a show stopper. I have to take the hitch head off the mounting frame and then remove the mounting frame from my truck. That's about all the weight I can handle. Something to consider.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 01:45 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

We have a CF31QB and pull it with an 07 GMC2500 Duramax crewcab. Went with a Reese 18K Signature series slider. Haven't had it long enough to use the slider, but watched a friend of mine with the same hitch put a 5er in a slot I did not believe he could fit it into.

More hitch than we needed but I wanted the puck system so I could remove the whole hitch. Works slick, although I made the mistake of trying to lift the whole thing out myself once. Not good for the old back. Now I use the loader on the tractor or simply leave the hich hooked up to the 5er, unhook the bed/puck system, and lift the front legs up, and drive out from under, leaving the hitch hanging. Don't leave it hanging for long periods, but some do.

Kevin from K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 08:55 PM   #9
Family Vacation Member

Another vote for the Husky 16K slider hitch. I have been using it for years with no problems and with pop out pin I have never questioned if hooked or not. My motto, is when in doubt, always slide. Piece of mind if cheaper than new window or truck cab.

Congrats on your rig. Hope you enjoy yours as much as we do.

Duncan & Chelsea (Scotty Dogs)

Williamsburg, VA

2009 Dodge 3500 DRW QC 6.7L

2007 PP PF36SK (Rolling Fun II)
Virginia RVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 09:28 PM   #10
Family Vacation Member

We bought a super hitch and i dont worry about the trailer dropping on my bed!!! id check the designes of the hitches before deciding on one!! If u look at any of the current rv catalogues youll see how a super hitch is superior in every way!! Happy camping.

Dee N Bob

Duramax,allison.etc.

2009 30SK Patriot edition

Pullrite 20.5k Super Fifth

https://i494.photobucket.com/albums/r...b1/NewSpot.jpg
buddhabob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 09:48 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

I just went in and looked at your floorplan Nice I like . great for kids or just to get away from your other half. I wish crossroads would let us take a tour of the actual camper we are looking at. It would be so much better. If you have the 6&1/2 ft box get a slider of some kind and use it .
Old 11-28-2009, 11:31 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan
The bed saver add-on for the hitch is a good idea, however it adds a bunch of weight to the hitch. The extra weight won't affect the truck or towing but if you are like me and take the hitch out of the truck that extra weight might be a show stopper. I have to take the hitch head off the mounting frame and then remove the mounting frame from my truck. That's about all the weight I can handle. Something to consider.

Agreed! Stan is correct, the BedSaver adds about 50 lbsto the weight of the hitch and it's a 2 man job to pull it out. That's the only caveat to the BedSaver. Having had it work for us once was all it took to convince me that the extra weight is worth it. Besides, if you're a winter driver with your Dodge, that extra weight will give you a little more traction ability. I carry it around in the truck all the time and may take it out once or twice a year.
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Old 11-29-2009, 12:52 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

I have a bed saver for my hitch and like they say "Don't leave home without it" I probally take my hitch out once a year and never in the winter. Extra weight for plowing. Spring through fall I have a small trailer for anything I need to haul.
Old 11-29-2009, 05:27 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

With your Mega cab you have a short box, I highly recomend the slider hitch. Do your research and pick the one that you like. The only mod that I recomend is to paint the jaws white when they are in the closed position. After you are hooked up a quick glance will tell you if the jaws are fully closed. Than raise the front landing gear about 1 inch, and do a pull test. Have fun

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 08:14 AM   #15
Full Time Camper

_popupControl();

Another vote for the Reese 18k with Slide... Went with the Reese because parts if needed can be found just about everywhere, bigger hitch head, better swivel on the head, the recessed mounting left for a smooth bed if needed, it was only about $100 more than the 16k, bigger market if selling.

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 07:38 AM   #16
Full Time Camper

We have the reese 15k slider but Im not sure how to use it . I've e-mailed reeseprod.com many times to order an instruction manual but have not had any response. I'm assuming when its placed in the manuvering position it has to be hooked up to the camper to get it to move because I haven't been able to move it by hand yet...Can anyone tell me how to use/move it? Does it need greasing? Thanks in advance for any advice....

06 F350 KR PS CC SRW

...Wish we were camping...
cowboy_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 01:55 PM   #17
Full Time Camper

Cowboy-71 I have the Reese 16K slider and once the arm is in the maneuver position, I can pull the head assembly by hand and it will slide back. Same for going forward. Not sure why yours won't move. With the rig attached, I simplyapply the trailer brakes manually and pull the truck forward or back. I do lube the moving parts once a year in the Spring. It sounds like it isn't unlocking.

Follow up...Go to Reeseprod.com and search for PN 30048 and download the install PDF. in there it goes into detail how to slide the unit and also "how it works' That might help.Edited by: Stan
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 08:00 PM   #18
Full Time Camper

Did you put the lever in the middle position to slide?
Old 12-06-2009, 11:47 PM   #19
Full Time Camper

I found that if you put the Tow/Manuveur lever in the middle position, the hitch would not slide in either direction. After a bit of experimenting, I found that if you put the lever the extreme of its throw, Tow or Manuveur, the slide worked as intended. When I had the hitch out for a closer look, I found the palls for the two positions will come out in the mid position of the lever with no load on them, but when there a load, like a hitched trailer, you need to pull the lever to the extreme of its throw, to release the palls from their slot.
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Old 12-07-2009, 09:49 AM   #20
Full Time Camper

Ok guys, thanks for the advice, now if it would just stop raining I'll try it out...and Stan, I'll download that file...Great to have all this help...

06 F350 KR PS CC SRW

...Wish we were camping...
cowboy_71 is offline   Reply With Quote