Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2012, 01:10 AM   #1
Site Team

I'm looking at a new hitch and really don't know to much about any of them. I do know I want the jaw system rather then the sliding bar like I have now. Also a slider, and one that I can take out of the truck relatively easy so I have a full bed to use when not towing.
Right now I'm looking at the Reese select 16K. Does anybody use this particular Reese, or, does anybody have any other thoughts/ideas/brands?

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:26 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Farmer....I have had the Reese 16K Pro (not sure what the SELECT is) since 2006 and it has worked flawlessly. The jaws provide a positive lock and it is easy to see they are positioned correctly. I also have the 4 way pivoting head and it is great for 'not quite level' and angled hook-ups. The two pieces come apart and are not light but I can get them out of the bed when I need to. I would guess the hitch at about 45-55lbs and the base about 60-65lbs. You will have two rails in the bed but they don't bother me and loading plywood is no problem. The other thing I like is that you can hitch up with the jaws closed and they will open upon contact with the pin so you can watch the handle and know exactly when to stop backing up. I don't use the slider much but have a few times and am glad I have it. It also works as advertised and is pretty easy to slide fore and aft. I looked into the Blue OX (right name??) bed saver but the added weight was prohibitive when removing the hitch from the bed.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:35 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Lloyd,
I have a Curt Q5 but not a slider (long bed truck). It has a visual as well as a physical locking system. It looks as substantial as it is. I know they have a slider. My Q5 is rated for 20k, overkill for the Cruiser. A year or so ago Curt rebranded this as a 25k hitch. We probably could pull both our Cruisers in tandem with this hitch.

Art and Karen
2013 Itasca Sunstar 35F, 2013 Ford C Max toad.
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
artgpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:47 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

x2 on the Q5. Its worked well for me. My only complaint--not sure if it was the hitches fault--but when not hooked on it rattled a lot in the rails. I got some 5th wheel sound dampeners (little rubber shims for 3 or 4 bucks) and it solved the problem.

'11 Crossroads Cruiser CF325CK

https://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/...4/S4011042.jpg
happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:53 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan
Farmer....I have had the Reese 16K Pro (not sure what the SELECT is) since 2006 and it has worked flawlessly. The jaws provide a positive lock and it is easy to see they are positioned correctly. I also have the 4 way pivoting head and it is great for 'not quite level' and angled hook-ups. The two pieces come apart and are not light but I can get them out of the bed when I need to. I would guess the hitch at about 45-55lbs and the base about 60-65lbs. You will have two rails in the bed but they don't bother me and loading plywood is no problem. The other thing I like is that you can hitch up with the jaws closed and they will open upon contact with the pin so you can watch the handle and know exactly when to stop backing up. I don't use the slider much but have a few times and am glad I have it. It also works as advertised and is pretty easy to slide fore and aft. I looked into the Blue OX (right name??) bed saver but the added weight was prohibitive when removing the hitch from the bed.

I think the difference between the select and the pro series is, the pro has the square tubes and the select has the round tubes??

Does the Curt hitch come out easy and leave an empty bed? How heavy is it? The one I have is getting heavier all the .
Old 10-20-2012, 02:26 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

its heavy. But the hitch head comes off the legs and it can be moved a little easier in 2 pieces.
Just the regular rails are left in the bed.

Old 10-20-2012, 02:36 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Farmer, My rails are square as you indicated. Not sure what difference it makes other than just surface area for the slider rollers. I would also recommend the custom rail kit (mounting brackets) for your particular truck. Much better than the universal kit and the cost is reasonable.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:02 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

I have the Hensley BD3 air spring hitch, works great. Comes apart in two pieces leaving the standard rails in the truck. Not sure about SB trucks, call Aaron at Hensley, he can tell you all about it and send you info. A very well built hitch.

Stan

1994 GMC SLE EC PU DRW 454 4:10 Posi

Hensley BD3 Prodigy

Trailair rotoflex pinbox and equaflex with wet bolts

2010 Cruiser CTX CF26RKX

Semper Fidelis '53-'61
nrausa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:53 AM   #9
Seasonal Camper

Old farmer: I thought this was a good idea when I seen it. It might help you. DWs uncle hung a chain hoist in his garage to lift his hitch in and out. Sometimes he just leaves it hanging when not in use. He says oneday he made need to upgrade to a electric version when the time comes....

Old 10-20-2012, 06:41 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Mine has the jaw system.

Husky fifth wheel hitch Model 16K W. Husky Full-Feature Articulating Head Wrap-Around Jaw Fifth

Wheel Hitch

http://www.huskytow.com/FTP/PDF/H-1-B_HITCH.pdf

2012 Cruiser Patriot CF335SS.

2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

https://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...ailerKeuka.jpg
NorskeNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:08 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

I had the pro and went to the select series. On the pro s the head is held on with 2 pins. the select is bolted on. the select series is a wider hitch than the pro. You can boy either hitch with round or flat slides. This may of been my hitch but my pro hitch had to much play in and I had none with my 2 jaw select. I got a lot of chucking with the pro and none with the select.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:45 PM   #12
Site Team

Thanks for the input everybody. It's appreciated.

Old 10-21-2012, 01:21 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

I have been researching 5er hitches as well. On another forum, I was told the B&W is a better hitch (I am considering the reese 16k as well). They told me the B&W gives a better ride than the reese. The one they pointed me to that is similar in function to the reese dual jaw was the B&W patriot although they said the B&W companion is better (also more $$$). I was asking the same questions about hitches (I wanted one that is easily removable, non slider etc).
It is actuallypretty cheap at tweety's and if we decide to move to a 5er, I will probably get it there. Here is the link to it at tweety's http://tweetys.com/band-w-patriot-16...ing-rails.aspx

Here is the link to my thread asking questions about hitches....http://tweetys.com/band-w-patriot-16...ing-rails.aspx

Several say they liked the reese also. Hope this helps you some.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:21 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

Reese

Products may close a plant in Goshen and transfer production of its hitch

products to Mexico.</span>

2012 Cruiser Patriot CF335SS.

2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

https://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...ailerKeuka.jpg
NorskeNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:24 AM   #15
Full Time Camper

Y'all are making my 8 year old RBW 16k Lil Rocker feel like a step child.....
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:42 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter11
Y'all are making my 8 year old RBW 16k Lil Rocker feel like a step child.....
You didn't get a NEW hitch with that NEW Duramax?
Old 10-21-2012, 11:46 PM   #17
Full Time Camper

Nope, the old one was doing just fine. I won't get a new one unless the RBW calls it quits or when we move up to a new heavier unit.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:36 PM   #18
New Camper

[QUOTE=nrausa;50708]I have the Hensley BD3 air spring hitch, works great. Comes apart in two pieces leaving the standard rails in the truck. Not sure about SB trucks, call Aaron at Hensley, he can tell you all about it and send you info. A very well built hitch.

I've got the Trailer saver air hitch. http://www.trailersaver.com/airsuspe...itches_ts3.php Previous hitch I had very uncomfortable bucking on these rough MN roads
Ride is better and hitching is much easier. A bit heavy to remove from the truck bed.

2013 cruiser 315QB Patriot
2008 Chev Duramax CC short bed
2007 Alumacraft Trophy 185 with Suzuki 175
Familyman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:41 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
I'm looking at a new hitch and really don't know to much about any of them. I do know I want the jaw system rather then the sliding bar like I have now. Also a slider, and one that I can take out of the truck relatively easy so I have a full bed to use when not towing.
Right now I'm looking at the Reese select 16K. Does anybody use this particular Reese, or, does anybody have any other thoughts/ideas/brands?
I have a Reese 16K slider. I like it. It's easy to remove, but it's too heavy to remove by myself.

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2024: 2 trips, 26 nights in 8 states, 4801 miles
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 3904 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:23 AM   #20
Full Time Camper

We went with the Superglide autoslider for our shortbed... works perfect !
but since I have a utility trailer, didn't care about getting the hidden rails for the bed though...
just use a bed cover to keep it out of the elements

the trailair triglide came on the new 5er.... had the trailair without triglide on the previous 5er... and it was quieter... the tri-glide has a 'clunk?' as you stop and start with the shifting of the capture plate back and forth...

not sure if that is normal - need to call trailair...