Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2014, 12:08 PM   #1
New Camper

5th Wheel Towing

I've always towed a travel trailer, latest 36' Sunset Rrail Reserve ST32RL. When turning corners I have to turn really wide to keep from clipping any obstacles that might be in the inside of the turn.

With that said does a 5th wheel track the TV better, staying in line with it?

Thanks for any input.
WD hitch Reese RP66084

Bturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 12:57 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

No, in reality a fifth wheel of similar size will cut inside the tow vehicle even worse.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 04:27 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

A travel trailer will generally follow the tow vehicle. A fifth wheel likes to take a short-cut. Just watch tractor-trailers on the road. They are essentially fifth wheels, and they always take wide turns. As a matter of fact, they usually have a sign on the rear mentioning this fact.

One other difference in fifth wheel towing is the backing up. The TT reacts right away to a correction of the steering wheel in the TV, the fifth wheel has a delayed reaction. By the time it reacts, most drivers have already over-corrected.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 04:33 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneoak View Post
A travel trailer will generally follow the tow vehicle. A fifth wheel likes to take a short-cut. Just watch tractor-trailers on the road. They are essentially fifth wheels, and they always take wide turns. As a matter of fact, they usually have a sign on the rear mentioning this fact.

One other difference in fifth wheel towing is the backing up. The TT reacts right away to a correction of the steering wheel in the TV, the fifth wheel has a delayed reaction. By the time it reacts, most drivers have already over-corrected.
X2...

"essentially". Tractor Trailers ARE 5th wheels.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 06:04 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Just like you had to learn to pull a trailer from a bumper hitch, you can also learn to pull with a fifth wheel. The real difference has more to do with the dynamics between the pivot points (hitch or fifth wheel) and the distance to the front axle. Hence, you have a 36' TT track different than a 36' fifth wheel depending on that distance between hitch and axle. Personally, I like the 5s because you have better maneuverability since your overall length in proportion to the TV and TT (or 5er)pivot point is better.....my opinion.
The biggest gain, my opinion again, is that you also can get a higher GVW with a fifth wheel since you are directly over the axle.
SCT Flash 4X tune
Billstein upgrade shocks and dampener
2008 Crossroads Cruiser 32BL
RADMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 06:19 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneoak View Post

X3. someone once taught me to start my turn once my tv rear wheels enter the intersection and then cut hard back into the turn. This works for tighter turns but understand it puts you into the incoming traffic lane. Cutting out wider in the turns helps a lot.

Backing up is an entirely different animal. I'm still getting the hang of it and provided great entertainment for everyone this weekend putting it on site. I have learned you often do better pulling forward to straighten out as it takes so long to correct a turn while backing up.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 01:05 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Sign on my 5th wheel Left side "Passing Side" Right side "Suicide"!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 05:19 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by socoguy View Post
Sign on my 5th wheel Left side "Passing Side" Right side "Suicide"!!!!!!!!!!!!
LOL!

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 01:51 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bturner View Post
I've always towed a travel trailer, latest 36' Sunset Rrail Reserve ST32RL. When turning corners I have to turn really wide to keep from clipping any obstacles that might be in the inside of the turn.

With that said does a 5th wheel track the TV better, staying in line with it?

Thanks for any input.
It's called tracking. even your rear tires of your truck don't follow the front tires. The tighter the turn the more the offset. A good rule of thumb at an intersection is to drive into the intersection until the tires on the trailer get to where the radius of the corner starts. watch your mirrors and remember to always be aware of what the trailer is doing.
Silver Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 07:51 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RADMiller View Post
. Personally, I like the 5s because you have better maneuverability since your overall length in proportion to the TV and TT (or 5er)pivot point is better.....my opinion.
I disagree. I can back in a bumper pull trailer Far easier than a 5th wheel.
The pivot point you refer to is so much further back on a bumper pull, the response to the front wheel change of direction is so much more pronounced.

Even though I don't need it, my 5th wheel hitch is a slider. Moving it back 12 or so inches towards the rear, makes backing up again, much more responsive.

Where I used to store my 5th wheel, I had a very small area to back into at an angle and extending the slider back, made parking ten times easier.

It always better to give yourself more room then necessary in turns and tighten, if needed, then to underestimate and have to back up and allow for more space, not to mention the potential for damage.

To the points above, whatever you have, you need to adjust your driving style according to that size trailer and it's differences when pulling.

Bob and Better Half

2007 F-250 PSD, SW, CC, LB, 2WD
2006 TF32SS Cross Terrain Toy Hauler (sold)
Reese 16k slider
r2millers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 11:46 AM   #11
Family Vacation Member

I currently have a 5th wheel and I drove tractor trailer cross country for 6 years prior. It all boils down to what you're more comfortable with as far as backing up. I can put a 5th wheel anywhere on a dime in no time and find it a little more difficult to back up a TT. It's all because I'm more used to the 5th wheel. Now as far as towing...I wouldn't give up a 5th wheel. It's much more stable. Putting TT weight behind your rear axle just seems beyond physics as far as stability. Again, before anyone "argues" their point, this is just my opinion based on what I've grown accustomed to. I'm sure there are others who could run circles around me backing up a TT.
Bottom line in my book is do what you like. That's what all of us RV'ers are really about. It's a fantastic community, really great people and all with a common interest.

**WAS**2013 Sunset Trail Reserve SF32RL
**WAS**2011 Dodge 1500 Outdoorsman
**NOW** 2015 RAM 2500 6.7L CUMMINS TURBO DIESEL
Gcross1468 is offline   Reply With Quote