Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2016, 02:17 PM   #21
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by smw57 View Post
No point in asking for advice if you aren't willing to take it...

I am getting the Michelin LT 265/75R16, load range E tires put on as I type.

The Timbrens come tomorrow and I'll return them. Will buy to air lift 1000 air helper springs recommended by Pappabear. I like the active spring system Mark5W recommended, but already spending almost $1000 on the tires, plus $85 and installation on the air springs. My money printer ran out of ink...

Thanks all for your input!
I think you will be happy with your decisions. The last set of Michelins I had were over 7 yrs old when I finally replaced them to be safe because of sidewall cracks.
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 07:39 PM   #22
Weekend Camper

Quote:
No point in asking for advice if you aren't willing to take it...

I am getting the Michelin LT 265/75R16, load range E tires put on as I type.

The Timbrens come tomorrow and I'll return them. Will buy to air lift 1000 air helper springs recommended by Pappabear. I like the active spring system Mark5W recommended, but already spending almost $1000 on the tires, plus $85 and installation on the air springs. My money printer ran out of ink...

Thanks all for your input!
Installation of the airbags was not really all that complicated. I had ours in within a couple hours.... and a couple beers lol. Ran the airlines back to the hitch and tied them together. Nice clean install with the air stem just to the side of the hitch receiver. I run mine at about 33psi and man what a difference. I really think you are going to like them. Oh and good call on the tires too. You really will notice a night and day difference with these two upgrades, I know I did.

.... Everyday is a good day for Camping....
Poppabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 07:23 AM   #23
Full Time Camper

If you tow a lot, you might consider the wireless in cab remote for the bags or the wired one here

Loved being able to adjust it on the fly in our 350...
Old 10-06-2016, 11:17 PM   #24
Weekend Camper

So the Timbrens came today, will start the return process tomorrow. I have some follow up questions regarding the air bags.

I'm assuming air 1000's will be fine since Poppa Bears and my TVs are similar. Have never run with anything like this before so I'm not positive of the best approach to take. First, would there ever be any reason to have different air pressure in each of the bags? I assume not, so am thinking about getting the coupler to allow control throughout a single line. Next how often do they need to be checked? It says min pressure is 5 psi to not damage them, but do they hold pressure well or need constant attention and air-adding? What are your thoughts on the onboard compressors and in cab controls, either wired or wireless? I'm thinking about getting one of the onboard systems if it makes sense. What do you think?
"Life is what happens while you're busy making plans"
smw57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 05:56 AM   #25
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
So the Timbrens came today, will start the return process tomorrow. I have some follow up questions regarding the air bags.

I'm assuming air 1000's will be fine since Poppa Bears and my TVs are similar. Have never run with anything like this before so I'm not positive of the best approach to take. First, would there ever be any reason to have different air pressure in each of the bags? I assume not, so am thinking about getting the coupler to allow control throughout a single line. Next how often do they need to be checked? It says min pressure is 5 psi to not damage them, but do they hold pressure well or need constant attention and air-adding? What are your thoughts on the onboard compressors and in cab controls, either wired or wireless? I'm thinking about getting one of the onboard systems if it makes sense. What do you think?
The questions you are asking regarding air suspension is exactly why I went with the Roadmaster Active suspension like Mark went with. Because now you are not talking about purchasing just the air bags, now you are talking about purchasing an onboard compressor. For $430 you can buy the RAS, no drilling, just jack up the vehicle on one side, remove the tire and bolt it on. Put the tire back on, and then repeat on the other side. It took no time to install. The truck handles better both empty and loaded.

-Tim

TV: 2015 F-150 XLT Crew Cab 3.5L Eco 4x4 Max Tow
TT: 2017 26BB
SB: Catalina 22
NoodlesWIU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 10:17 AM   #26
Full Time Camper

I have first one air bags with a vi air compressor and 10 gal air tank under the truck. I controll the truck air bags Pinbox bag from the cab. Also have an air chuck on both sides for airing tires or running air tools. The air lines will loose some pressure over time. It is grate to be able to change air pressure on the fly with changing road conditions
Old 10-07-2016, 10:46 AM   #27
Weekend Camper

Turns out RAS is not an option for me. Chevy switched from leaf springs to coil springs in 2000, and mine is a 2002.
Old 10-07-2016, 07:46 PM   #28
Weekend Camper

Quote:

I have not had any problems with air leaking out. We go camping usually one weekend a month and I just use a small air compressor I bought off amazon for like 30 bucks, plugged into the cigarette lighter and air the bags up to 33psi in under a minute. When we are done towing I drop the pressure down to about 7psi and whenever I check it a month later I am still at 7psi. It's a closed system so in theory you should not have to mess with pressure unless you have a small leak somewhere.

Old 10-07-2016, 10:58 PM   #29
Weekend Camper

Once again, my sincere thanks to all of you on this forum for you insight and willingness to share your wisdom. Today I returned the Timbrens and ordered the air 1000 airbag system. I shook the money printer really hard and got enough ink out of it to get enough cash to also spring for the wireless air one on board compressor system. Probably overkill, but why the heck not at this point? �� It will probably not arrive in time to get it installed for next weekend's trip, but I'm hoping. I am anxious to see what it feels like after adding the new tires and airbags!

Speaking of the tires, they are simply amazing! Just driving around town I can feel a real difference. The biggest difference I notice is going around a corner (at reasonable speed, of course). It holds like it is glued to the road, without me feeling like I'm sliding to the other side yelling "Where's the beef?" (You have to have a few gray hairs to get this ��)
At this point I think I have done everything reasonable to make sure I'm safely towing for the sake of my family and all of yours out there on the road with me. Thanks again t all of you!
Old 10-08-2016, 07:44 AM   #30
Weekend Camper

The one thing I did not see in all the great suggestions is do not play with tire air pressure. I run Michlien tire on our TV as well in my opinion the best tire on the market for what you are doing. Just be sure for the best handling and the longest life of the tire to follow the manufacture recommended tire pressure. Then you will het your money's worth. Transmission cooler is a must as any mechanic will tell you transmissions do not like heat.
Troddleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 11:00 AM   #31
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Once again, my sincere thanks to all of you on this forum for you insight and willingness to share your wisdom. Today I returned the Timbrens and ordered the air 1000 airbag system. I shook the money printer really hard and got enough ink out of it to get enough cash to also spring for the wireless air one on board compressor system. Probably overkill, but why the heck not at this point? �� It will probably not arrive in time to get it installed for next weekend's trip, but I'm hoping. I am anxious to see what it feels like after adding the new tires and airbags!

Speaking of the tires, they are simply amazing! Just driving around town I can feel a real difference. The biggest difference I notice is going around a corner (at reasonable speed, of course). It holds like it is glued to the road, without me feeling like I'm sliding to the other side yelling "Where's the beef?" (You have to have a few gray hairs to get this ��)
At this point I think I have done everything reasonable to make sure I'm safely towing for the sake of my family and all of yours out there on the road with me. Thanks again t all of you!
Not to hijack your thread, but more to maybe add to future question hunters... Let us know how much of a difference you notice when towing at highway speeds compared to your P tires before. I was looking at the exact same tires as you but because I live around the Chicago area we get heavy snow alot in the winter, so I will probably opt for the Michelin LTX A/T2 tires to help in those winter months. I'm really interested to hear a first hand account of the immediate difference you notice when towing. =)

-Tim

TV: 2015 F-150 XLT Crew Cab 3.5L Eco 4x4 Max Tow
TT: 2017 26BB
SB: Catalina 22
NoodlesWIU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 06:03 PM   #32
Weekend Camper

Just finished a 150 mi R/T, all interstate with no real elevation changes. I did not notice any significant change in handling while towing with the new tires. Which means the TV handles about the same whether towing or not, which I find pretty amazing! I am so pleased with having these tires on!!!

I added the air helper springs today, but won't be towing again till mid Nov.

Bottom line; It's a lot of money but I am so glad I got them. My Suburban drives better than it ever has!
Old 10-26-2016, 07:10 AM   #33
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Just finished a 150 mi R/T, all interstate with no real elevation changes. I did not notice any significant change in handling while towing with the new tires. Which means the TV handles about the same whether towing or not, which I find pretty amazing! I am so pleased with having these tires on!!!

I added the air helper springs today, but won't be towing again till mid Nov.

Bottom line; It's a lot of money but I am so glad I got them. My Suburban drives better than it ever has!
Glad to here everything worked out for you. Its amazing the difference a good set of tires can make . Now you can enjoy the drive to and from the campsite without the tense white knuckle feeling going down the interstate

Old 11-21-2016, 08:30 PM   #34
Weekend Camper

Just got back from a 4 night outing. This is the first outing since I added the air helper springs and, albeit an unplanned add, a new transmission

My mechanic told me that the tranny in the suburbans from this time frame are good for 160K miles, +/- 10K. I got 162K on mine, so I guess he knows what he's talking about I knew it was coming so has set some money aside, but still a stinger! Left one day to run an errand, and limped back home with nothing above second gear. I am thankful it went out when it did, and not while towing miles and miles from home...

Back to the air springs. The combination of these things and the new Michelin LT tires are simply unbelievable! It was about a 500 mile R/T, and the two vehicles felt like they were one. Everything is just so tight and solid going down the road, a real pleasure to drive. The price tag stung, but the result is incredible! The final addon will be an aftermarket transmission oil cooler and an in dash transmission oil temperature gage.
Old 11-22-2016, 06:05 AM   #35
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Back to the air springs. The combination of these things and the new Michelin LT tires are simply unbelievable! It was about a 500 mile R/T, and the two vehicles felt like they were one. Everything is just so tight and solid going down the road, a real pleasure to drive. The price tag stung, but the result is incredible! The final addon will be an aftermarket transmission oil cooler and an in dash transmission oil temperature gage.
Sorry to hear about the transmission but glad it happened when it did and you were able to get it fixed. Super glad to hear that the modifications made such an improvement in how the trailer tows. Definitely makes it a much more enjoyable drive down the road when the truck/trailer feels solid and stays where it should Sounds like you got a really good setup now until you feel the urge to trade in on that bigger truck. Here's to many more great camping trips down the road!

Old 11-25-2016, 06:05 PM   #36
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Hi All. This is a 2-parter:

My current tow vehicle is a 2002 Chevy Suburban 1500 LS. I added the hitch receiver. I want to get a 2500 HD Crew Cab, but that is 4 years away.

Here's part 1: Is there an significant difference in towing safety or performance between the long bed and the short bed, for towing a travel trailer?

I have a 2015 Sunset Trail super Lite travel trailer model ST240 BH. Dry weight is 5200. I haven't weighed it loaded yet (will do so soon), but I'm under 6000 lbs. My suburban is rated to tow 7400lbs, and I have an Equa-Li-Zer WDH.
Reading some other threads here, I think I've learned the following:
a) Get rid of my P rated tires for a good set of LT's, ASAP
b) Consider adding air-assist to the TV rear suspension
c) Invest in a good quality tire pressure/temperature monitoring system

Here's part 2: What are your thoughts on a, b, and c above? Is there anything else I should consider, or should do now?

Thanks!
Had a 21' fleetwood prowler pulled with a new suburban .. White knuckle everywhere we went.. Put adjusting shocks on .. Weight distribution on little difference put on 2 sway bars. Better.. But when I put on 80 psi tires what a difference.. Big rigs can pass me know problem now.
Randy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 06:58 PM   #37
Weekend Camper

lol I just had to put a tranny in my f350. Good work on planning ahead. I had a couple months to wrap my head around it but still hurt.
Anyways I towed a 30 ft skyline camper that was about 4500 lbs with a 2001 burban. My complaints were never about capacity or handling but power. The hills in Ohio made the motor rev and I was talking with a mechanic about putting lower gears in rear end. I ended up not messing with it and trading it in. Bought abused motor home. I still really miss my suburban though.
Stew47 is offline   Reply With Quote