Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2019, 03:24 AM   #1
New Camper

Advice needed

I've read through quite a few posts here but haven't found an answer yet. So I apologize if this has been asked several times before.
  • I want to buy a pickup that will tow my travel trailer which is around 7500-8000 lbs loaded. Which one would you recommend for under $20,000?
  • Ford 150 or 250 preferred but what year what type? Does the Ecoboost really tow 11,000 lbs?

Newbie haha
Mitch333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 05:52 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

If you are serious about towing, never buy a 1/2 ton.

Payload is the first place you will suffer if you do. HD's today have just as good a ride as the 1/2 tons do.

So if you are going to tow an RV trailer, never a 1/2 ton.

Take it from experience, you'll wish you got the 3/4 ton.

2020 Ram 2500 Bighorn 6.7 Diesel
2014 Zinger 27RL (Traded)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
markandkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 06:28 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I’ll second that. Sooner or later you’ll have to pull a mountain or hills. Will a 1/2 ton pull it? Yea probably, but you’ll find you’ll start having problems with your transmission and a lot of strain on your engine. I tried the 1/2 ton. Save yourself some money in the long run and go with the 250 or my choice would be 2500 HD.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 06:54 AM   #4
Site Team

I guess I've had a different experience.
Yes, the Ford Eco-Boost will tow 11,000#--- if, it's been built with the right/correct options right from the factory. I have one and it's been out thru the CO. mountains and thru the mountains on the way to WA.
It performed beautifully.

Before you lay down your cash for any truck, look at the sticker on the door post and see what it's rated for. If you have future plans for a bigger RV then look at bigger trucks. Remember tho, not all 3/4 tons are rated as high as you might be led to believe. Don't be in a hurry when you start looking and above all else---don't believe the sales person.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 08:32 AM   #5
Site Team

Hello and welcome to the forum.

You said under $20000. I have not shopped for used trucks lately but can you buy a Eco Boost for under that? If it were me I would look at the bigger truck the F250. It would have bigger brakes and a stronger frame. One thing I have learned over the years it you don't want the tail to wag the dog. Also if in the future you get a bigger camper you may not need a bigger truck also.

One thing I have seen a lot lately is cars and trucks that have a clean title but have flood damage. These vehicles are cleaned up and ran thru auctions in several states and are able to get a salvage title changed to a "clean" title. So have whatever you buy have it checked over thoroughly.

Also check that whatever you are looking at has the "tow" package on it. Usually that comes with a bigger transmission cooler - larger alternator - lower axle ratio - 7 way trailer plug and brake controller. Just because it has a hitch receiver does not mean it has the tow package.

A good source for tow ratings would be the Trailer Life tow guide. Just Google the year truck you are looking at - eg. 2014 Trailer Life Tow Guide.

Good luck in your search and let us know what you end up with.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 10:37 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
I guess I've had a different experience.
Yes, the Ford Eco-Boost will tow 11,000#--- if, it's been built with the right/correct options right from the factory. I have one and it's been out thru the CO. mountains and thru the mountains on the way to WA.
It performed beautifully.

Before you lay down your cash for any truck, look at the sticker on the door post and see what it's rated for. If you have future plans for a bigger RV then look at bigger trucks. Remember tho, not all 3/4 tons are rated as high as you might be led to believe. Don't be in a hurry when you start looking and above all else---don't believe the sales person.
Maybe you missed the part about payload.

That's the 1st thing you will run out of. Eco-boost doesn't help with payload.

Believe me, you'll wish you had more truck than that.

I would not tow his trailer with any 1/2 ton.

2020 Ram 2500 Bighorn 6.7 Diesel
2014 Zinger 27RL (Traded)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
markandkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 11:02 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

Buy the 2500 (or 250)

I had an 18 foot travel trailer and a Chevy 1500. It did fine on the roads of Oklahoma. However... we took a trip with the trailer to Colorado and took the easier passes... I knew that I had a trailer on behind and it really slowed me down on the hills. ...and after looking at the sticker in the door and the paperwork at the Coop i figured out that I was 500 lb under max weight without the trailer.... I had been overloaded a LOT of the time.

Fast forward to December 2017. I bought a Ram 2500 Tradesman crew cab (6 cylinder diesel w/ turbo). That's pretty close to the bottom of the line and I got a deal ~$40k. The 18 ft travel trailer pulled like it wasn't there. Then my wife figured out it would handle a fifth wheel. So now there's a fifth wheel in my driveway. I'm definitely not overloaded now. ...and the fifth wheel pulls good in Oklahoma and Missouri. ...now to try Colorado again.
mdbeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 11:28 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by markandkim View Post
Maybe you missed the part about payload.

That's the 1st thing you will run out of. Eco-boost doesn't help with payload.

Believe me, you'll wish you had more truck than that.

I would not tow his trailer with any 1/2 ton.

Either you're missing something or I am.
My payload is 2,300#
My loaded trailer rating is 11,000#
If you look a little closer at those figures, I think you will see you are mistaken.
Old 02-04-2019, 01:31 PM   #9
Site Team

Not going to get into a battle, but those who say a 150 Eco can't handle it are very uninformed. My payload is like Lloyds, ability to tow 11100 and have been doing it for the past 5 years. Hills are no problem. In fact I live about a mile up the top of a mountain and can cruise up without a problem. If you check some of the payloads of the 250 you will find that many are not much more than the 150 Eco. Frames? They are just as strong as a 250 from a few years ago.

My mods have been a Roadmaster Active Suspension and slotted and drilled rotors with semi metallic brake pads made specifically for towing.

Go to a https://fordbbas.com/vehicleModel/F150 builders book and look up all the specs you want for comparison.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 03:04 PM   #10
Site Team

After a little research it looks like ford rates there F150 Eco Boost with Max Tow and Max Payload about the same as the F250 with a 6.2. Seems strange but that's what it says. So to answer the original question see what is available in your area for the price then decide. Check it out good. Either one will tow the trailer weight you have.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 06:39 PM   #11
Site Team

A plain Eco-Boost might be a little short to do the job appropriately. It should be equipped with the Heavy duty payload & Max tow packages. This will give you 10 ply tires also.

I would be surprised to hear that you found an Eco-Boost with those options for $20,000
Old 02-11-2019, 08:52 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

All depends, each of us has different ideas, requirements, situations. Look at your gross trailer and tounge weights. Then look at the towing spec sheet from the truck MFG, not any other. Buy the truck that gives you 30 to 50 % reserve capacity over your load. You will not be sorry. Also make sue you like to drive it. Hard to have a good day driving one you don't.. Happy Trails
fredtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 04:09 PM   #13
Family Vacation Member

I have a 2015 F-150 3.5L Eco towing a trailer that loaded is between 7,500 - 8,000. My honest opinion, you should be asking how long will your drives be, and are you towing in the midwest, or hilly/mountainous areas? I believe our setup is the perfect balance/trade off of using it as a daily driver, and pulling for 2-3 hours on weekends, with the occasional long 6-8 hour trip a year. When cross winds are above 15, we do have to slow down to not feel uncomfortable. That being said, in a couple years I do plan on upgrading my 2010 F-150 to the new F-250 with the 7.3L Gasser. =) My better half got the 2015 F-150.

-Tim

TV: 2015 F-150 XLT Crew Cab 3.5L Eco 4x4 Max Tow
TT: 2017 26BB
SB: Catalina 22
NoodlesWIU is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, towing, trailer