Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2015, 06:10 PM   #1
New Camper

Andersen Ultimate and Sunset Trail/ Short Bed

I have a 2015 Crossroads Hill Country 33RL (same as Sunset Trail Reserve but with a regional package) and a 2015 Chevrolet 2500HD Crew CCSB. I'm interested in changing from my Superglide to the rail-mounted Andersen, but am worried about the trailer hitting the cab of the truck during sharp turns. Has anybody used the Andersen with a Crossroads Sunset Trail and a short bed? The caps and pinboxes look the same across the entire the series, so that should give me a pretty good idea whether it's going to work.

Also, if anybody has pulled with both the Superglide and the Andersen, I'd love to hear your comparison of the two.
jshupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 06:45 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

GM has the longest distance from the cab to the rear axle (CA) compared to Ford or Ram. I've owned 4 different GM short beds and 5 different fifth wheels including 2 Crossroads. All of the fifth wheels prior to my current unit did not have contoured front caps. I started with a fixed hitch, then a manual slider that was never used. Now with a contoured front cap, I have switched back to a fixed hitch. The Andersen Ultimate should work fine if you pay attention when backing or making forward turns at full lock in excess of about 120 degrees. For me, a little extra jockeying back and forth or not keeping the steering wheel at full lock has worked since '89.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 10:29 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via AIM to st.rodder2 Send a message via MSN to st.rodder2 Send a message via Yahoo to st.rodder2
I have a 2015 Sunset Trail SF32RL and a 03 Ram SB with the slider and have not had to use it yet. The contoured nose has plenty of clearance for 90% of the turns you'll make. Just keep an eye on the corners when backing up into tight spots.

2015 Sunset Trail SF32RL
2012 Ford F250SD CC 4X4 - 6.7 Powerstroke

st.rodder2 is offline   Reply With Quote