Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2017, 06:41 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Exclamation Anyone use a wireless backup camera to see behind their trailer?

In Missouri it's legal to triple town.....so I'm thinking about pulling a small single axle ATV trailer behind my 20ft long travel trailer.

Just in order to see what's going on back there....I've thought about installing one of those wireless backup camera kits you can get off of Amazon for around $50....and just leave it on all the time. Has anyone used one of these? From what I can see....you just mount the camera on the license plate bracket of my travel trailer, give it 12v power, and the transmitter sends the signal to the receiver in the cab of the truck that's hooked to the small little monitor. I figured that way I could at least keep an eye on the ATV trailer....and if I ever have to back the thing up....it might help out.

Are there any that are better or worse than the rest? Any info would be great. Thanks!
IQRaceworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 06:50 PM   #2
Site Team

http://www.crossroadsowners.com/foru...era-10238.html

http://www.crossroadsowners.com/foru...ise-10232.html
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 05:15 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

This is worth continuing since the referenced ones don't talk much about real wireless cameras. And it's a technology which has improved very much since then.

2020 Ram 2500 Bighorn 6.7 Diesel
2014 Zinger 27RL (Traded)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
markandkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 06:58 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Funny, I just ordered a Furion Wireless Backup Camera yesterday for $300 on Amazon. Should be here tomorrow. I'll report back when I install it. I know your looking for an inexpensive route, but may be worth it.

-Tim

TV: 2015 F-150 XLT Crew Cab 3.5L Eco 4x4 Max Tow
TT: 2017 26BB
SB: Catalina 22
NoodlesWIU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:41 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

I have the camera that I put a picture of in Lloyd's first link. Hardwired because I could not find any good reviews on the wireless ones, at the time I was looking. I have it wired to the running lights, so I can have it on all the time. Works great for backing up and seeing behind while driving. A bonus is that I can also use it on the truck.
Cooper the Golden Retriever, and
Sam the black lab.
CampMacKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 12:39 PM   #6
Seasonal Camper

I have a camera system on my 5th wheel for the small utility trailer I tow behind the 5th wheel. I gave up on wireless and went with a wired system.

I mounted my camera up high for two reasons.

One so I can see traffic behind the Utility trailer and I get less water etc on camera when the roads are wet.

Even when not towing the Utility trailer I love the camera makes it much easier to keep track of what is behind you and what they are doing.

Like air conditioning and power steering. Once you have had it you do not want to go back.
rcflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 04:54 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

I installed the Firrion wireless observation camera on my 42' 5ver and it works great. FURRION ALSO MAKES A WIRELESS BACKUP CAMERA BIT IT CUTS OUT GOING DOWN THE ROAD.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:13 AM   #8
Family Vacation Member

My trailer (not a Crossroads) came pre-wired for a Furrion camera. I purchased the model FOS48 wireless and it has performed fine. My trailer is about 27' long and add another few feet for the TV to get to the monitor mounted on the windshield. I feel a lot safer being able to see what is directly behind me, and award bonus points for being able to see my bicycles on the back of the trailer.

2017 - 500 miles, 9 nights
2016 - 3005 miles, 34 nights
2014, 14, 15 - 11,614 miles, 125 nights
dlwilliams48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 07:07 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

I installed one on the rear of my Rushmore Franklin but had problems with the signal not being strong enough. I had to get a separate antenna and cable and ran it to the front of the trailer. Now have no problems with signal. Also have to side mount cameras on each side of the trailer, they work flawlessly great for lane changes. I got my cameras from rearviewsafety.com. No longer need anyone to help me back up the trailer.
2007 Harley FLHTCUI
shartflhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 08:41 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

I am an expert by failure on this topic. I've bought and returned 3 sets over two years. Mainly because I was sold on the idea of a wifi/wireless set up. As mentioned previously in a post, the technology is getting better and I've heard great things about the Furion systems operating at a higher frequency and better connections. The issue is all that metal material and distance between the Tx and Rx units (sending/receiving) when hooked up to the back of a longer trailer.

That said, the market is still flooded (Ebay, Amazon, Jet) with cheap kits that make big promises. Nothing more frustrating than pulling the belly on my trailer (3 times) and installing a kit that has less than average performance. Like I said, I bought three different set ups from Amazon and returned every one.

I'll be looking hard at the Furion system, but the price point is a bit high for me. Time will tell. My wife has been spoiling me lately with just getting the pull through sites!

Also, the iBall set ups are good for temporary hookups and back-ins and they have good reviews.

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 08:16 AM   #11
Family Vacation Member

I just finishing installing the Furion Wirless observation camera before we left for our trip on Thursday. Works as expected. Now the image is not HD or anything near it, but it does show me exactly what's behind me. It scared the crap out of me drilling holes in our brand new trailer, but after all is said and done, I'm extremely happy we did it.

I wish these cameras had two lenses. One as is, with the wide camera angle lens to give you that wide viewing angle, but another with like a 50mm lens that is closer to the depth of field we as humans see to be able to judge distance. IE I have to squint to see the dot on my camera traveling down the road if someone is a couple of car lengths behind me.

-Tim

Old 04-24-2017, 09:29 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

Good to hear you are all hooked up. Three questions for ya. 1)How did wire the power, from the center marker light? and 2)Can you report to us how well the camera connection works when your driving? 3) What is the quality of the display with night vision, I've looked at this unit and it appears to have 6 infrared lights.

I am interested in this system, but balking at the price right now. If you could post a couple pix that would be appreciated.

Old 04-24-2017, 02:59 PM   #13
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioMark View Post
Good to hear you are all hooked up. Three questions for ya. 1)How did wire the power, from the center marker light? and 2)Can you report to us how well the camera connection works when your driving? 3) What is the quality of the display with night vision, I've looked at this unit and it appears to have 6 infrared lights.

I am interested in this system, but balking at the price right now. If you could post a couple pix that would be appreciated.
Hi Mark,

I did wire using the center marker light.

I had full connection the entire trip both there and back without a single issue. I can run over and take a picture to see the image quality but I'm backed up in our yard to some bushes so it might not come out well. If you can wait till our next outing in a couple weeks I can take both day and night pictures for you.

To get the camera level I pulled off the center marker light, and rest a level on the remaining 2 marker lights to either side of the center one I pulled off, and used a piece of tape to mark the location of the bubble, and used that as a reference for leveling it with the the top of the camera housing exactly 2 inches down from bottom of the center light marker housing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg New_Camera.jpg (265.3 KB, 38 views)

-Tim

Old 04-24-2017, 03:39 PM   #14
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodlesWIU View Post
Hi Mark,

I had full connection the entire trip both there and back without a single issue. I can run over and take a picture to see the image quality but I'm backed up in our yard to some bushes so it might not come out well. If you can wait till our next outing in a couple weeks I can take both day and night pictures for you.

To get the camera level I pulled off the center marker light, and rest a level on the remaining 2 marker lights to either side of the center one I pulled off, and used a piece of tape to mark the location of the bubble, and used that as a reference for leveling it with the the top of the camera housing exactly 2 inches down from bottom of the center light marker housing.

Thanks for the feedback. I look forward to hearing how it's working

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 04-25-2017, 12:42 PM   #15
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodlesWIU View Post
Hi Mark,

One more question (after looking close at the photo). How did you run the silicone sealant around the camera? That decal looks like it would prevent a good seal.

Old 04-28-2017, 07:40 AM   #16
Full Time Camper

You and everyone else convinced me to take the plunge on the Furrion. Question for you or anyone that feels free to comment.

It's the inner engineer in me, but I always look at things from a point of failure perspective, so I thinking why drill another hole in the shell to create another possible way for water to get into the rig? Anyone think I can just totally remove the top marker light entirely and use the existing hole and wire to mount the camera? I think i wont miss that marker light, right?

As always, feedback appreciated.

Old 04-28-2017, 10:06 AM   #17
Full Time Camper

So I did some digging on other forums and found out I can't pull the center marker light and replace with the camera. Apparently there are federal laws (assume DOT) that require trailers 30 feet or more and at least 80 inches wide must have exactly 3 rear marker lights.

Oh well. Just thought I'd share.

Old 05-08-2017, 06:32 AM   #18
Weekend Camper

Wireless backup camera

Hi,

I installed a 4Ucam Digital backup camera that I purchased from Amazon. I wired the camera into the running lights on the trailer. The only regret I have is where I mounted the camera above the center marking light. I should have mounted it under the light.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
akluth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 06:35 AM   #19
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by akluth View Post
Hi,

I purchased and installed a 4Ucam Digital backup camera that I purchased from Amazon. I wired the camera into the running lights on the trailer. The only regret I have is where I mounted the camera above the center marking light. I should have mounted it under the light.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Light interfering with the display?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 05-08-2017, 06:41 AM   #20
Weekend Camper

Yes at night.
akluth is offline   Reply With Quote