Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2017, 05:49 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Exclamation Best brake pads for a tow vehicle?

What are some of the best brake pads you can get for a two vehicle? Something that can stand up to hard braking, without fading on you. I have a set of cheap pads on my Ram 1500, and had them fade to almost nothing while towing my camper down some mountain hills in southern Arkansas.....thank god my trailer brakes were still nice and strong....I ended up using them to slow the truck down....because the truck brakes were completely gone. They were there one minute, then the next thing I know I could put the pedal to the floor and nothing happened...Very scary situation.....thank god for the manual control on the trailer brakes.

Any suggestion for some good heavy duty pads?
IQRaceworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 08:07 AM   #2
Weekend Camper

I really do not know if any brake pad or lining could fix your issue. First of all how much weight are you towing with a 1500? The braking power is a factor of brake pad geometry and surface area touching the rotor or drum.
Also a factor in this is whether the trailer brakes are set correctly and not coming on after you truck has already taken most of the load. The trailer brakes should come on almost as the front brakes are engaging.

I have a larger truck that I set up that way. Front brakes begin to slow the vehicle and the trailer brakes also slightly engage at the same time. This removes stress on the TV braking system and will not allow brake fade.

Just as a precautionary check those brakes on the TV since you had fade. The rotors or drums may have now cracked from the heat applied. I had this happen to me towing a large boat. My brakes faded and a few weeks after the incident the whole ring of the rotor broke off the center hub on both front wheels. I had to use the emergency brake to stop the truck.
Your rotors may be cracked, warped, or burnished. You may have issues now that need to be attended too or inspected now that large temperatures have been applied to the braking system. Also have the brake fluid checked as this may have boiled as well.

So to answer your question, you will need to sync the truck with the trailer, and if that does not help, put bigger brakes (aftermarket), rotors, onto your TV.
Old 05-08-2017, 04:26 PM   #3
Site Team

I upgraded to the semi metallic break pads and drilled and slotted rotors for my truck. Stopping has improved quite a bit. Brake Rotors Brake Discs Drilled Slotted Rotors

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 06:18 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Just my two cents here:

Firstly, how much weight you pulling? If your towing heavy @ near/over limits than it is what it is.

As far as upgrades, I've had this conversation on other car forums and talked to a couple former Delphi brake engineers and bunch of club racers folks I know. The answer has always been stick to stock whatever that may be. The club racer guys I know said they are prohibited from racing at most tracks unless they run stock even under racing conditions.

Without getting into a whole debate and detail (because I couldn't do it justice in a post), it boils down to your brakes pads are only one component. In moving to slotted/drilled rotors your effectively changing the dynamics of the braking
(removing surface contact vs. maintaining ideal operating temps on the pads/rotor fatigue). There are fantastic benefits of the modified rotor under certain conditions and I agree with Mark. I personally love the initial stickiness when stopping and the cool look of the drilled/slotted.

That said, you are removing surface contact. Great debates are abundant on the internet, but basically It's the 80/20 rule, well more like 95/5 rule here for benefits based on your driving.

Wildasindrive posted great advice. You may have trailer brake issues. First thing is to have a good look at the entire system on both the TV and trailer.

If you do go with cross drilled and/or slotted like Mark has, please do yourself a favor and buy from a reputable manufacturer. There is alot of junk on the internet. Do your research for your particular vehicle.

Reputable companies like Summit Racing have upgrade towing kits that match a upgraded calibers, rotors, and pads. They're actually local for me and they're knowledgeable and usually match pricing on anything you find online like these -->https://www.summitracing.com/parts/p...ram/model/1500

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 05:29 AM   #5
Gone Traveling

Motorcraft BRSD-756 Pad is my favourite for heavy-duty vehicles but I am thinking to replace them with any latest one. I found ceramic brake pads here that could be an affordable option for heavy-duty towing vehicles. After doing a market search and getting ideas from vehicle owners, I decided to go with Wagner ThermoQuiet QC1083 because they are not only easy to install but very adjustable and durable for all kind of vehicles so you can consider it.

On the other hand, the reasonable price of ACDelco brake pads is also attracting.
Remedios_Sharrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 10:43 AM   #6
Site Team

For tow vehicle I prefer the semi metallic brake pads. More stopping power. I also got drill and vented rotors. https://brakeperformance.com/brake-p...brake-pads.php

Of course, the choice is always up to what you feel comfortable with.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote