Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2010, 06:53 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

We are new to 5th wheel world. We plan on towing our 21 foot boat behind the 5th wheel. We made one trip thru the Colorado mountains last Sept (the week after we purchased the 5th wheel) and everything went fine. Except I like to see the boat from time to time. Any suggestions on what type of camera to use?
Old 02-25-2010, 10:52 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

I treid a couple wireless but from the back of a 5th wheel had too much drop out and noise. I went with a wired unit. To get from trailer to TV I used the #7 on the 7way. On my GM truck this is the back-up lights whichI do not use. Also recommend mounting the camera high on the trailer to get away from the road mist on wet roads.
rcflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 01:11 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

I have 2 extendable reflectors that i can pull out from the side of the ATV hauler so that I can see the second trailer. I used to just watch for the shadow, but after "losing" the second trailer for a half hour and having to turn around to find it i though t I better come up with a better system.

Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 12:00 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

If you are looking for a continuous rear view, then a hardwired system is the way to go. It is more expensive but unlike a wireless system, it works all the time, every time. Here is the installation of my system.

http://s65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...view%20Camera/
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 01:26 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

Looks good, did you do the installation or have someone else do it. Also what brand of camera did you use? Did everything need come with the camera. Last and I sure not least where did you get the camera?

Old 02-26-2010, 02:44 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dootz56
Looks good, did you do the installation or have someone else do it. Also what brand of camera did you use? Did everything need come with the camera. Last and I sure not least where did you get the camera?

Yes, I did the installation all myself. The camera and monitor plus cabling and hardware, I bought in Canada as a kit. I had the dealerinstall the cableconnectors forthe connections in thebed of the truck.Forme, here inCanada, it was not cheap, but it works great. You should be able to get a completekit from any US dealer. What you'll needis the camera (suggestwhite instead of black)with about 110 degree view,7"LCD monitor (c/wwiring harness), and a 66 ft extension cable. I hadthedealer cutthe extension cablein two at about20 feet from one end andmount the bed connectors. That is the basickit. To make it a similar installation like mine, you'll have to make several road trips to Home Depot for material.

Once you have it installed, you'll not only be able to keep and eye on your boat trailer, but see some of the shenaigans that go on behind you when you're pulling a trailer.Edited by: Hamops
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 03:09 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Yahoo to KHUNLINDA2003
Did you say the trailer disconnected while on the road and you lost it? If so maybe a hitch with a safety chain would also be in order.

2003 Beaver Marquis

formerly 2004 Silverado

two ragdolls, Flash and Bandit
KHUNLINDA2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 03:37 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

I think that Canucklehead is the one that said something about losing the trailer. Even when I'm hauling the boat behind the truck with or without the 5th wheel. I also use safety chains. When we had the Truck camper at least I could still see the back of the boat. But with the 5th wheel, unless we are going around a curve, all I can see is the boat shadow. Lisa made the comment last Sept on the way to Navajo that if there was a cop behind us we would never know it.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:26 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

Ha Ha Ha. Long story short, there was an issue with the trailer hitch in that it came off the ball while still having the hitch pin locked in place. And yes the hitch was fully on the ball and the ball was the correct size for the hitch. It remains a mystery why it separated.
The issue with the safety chains was an unfortunate oversight caused by a string of bad luck leading up to the incident. I can assure you that this will not happen again.
The good thing was that the disconnect happened within 5 minutes of setting off and was at a low rate of speed. The trailer simply stopped in the middle of the road and simply waited for us to return.

Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 01:21 PM   #10
Seasonal Camper

This is another mod I would like to do. I have no plans of ever towing another trailer behind ours, but I do have a bike rack back there that I would like to keep an eye on.

SOB 5er
lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:17 AM   #11
Family Vacation Member

Our local John Deere dealer had a good unit with camera and 7" screen and connector cable for around $400. I'm getting ready to do this as soon as the new 30sb gets in. Nice pictures of your set up neat job. I've been towing this way since 2002 onlylost the boat once but thesafety chains held.
Old 03-07-2010, 02:53 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

I have been looking at this as a project for the spring.

I found this link that helped: http://www.modmyrv.com/2008/06/16/rv-rear-view-camera

The night vision camera and screen are $199 on Amazon also.

2009 Cruiser 30SK Patriot

2008 GMC Sierra 2500

Pullrite Superglide

https://i809.photobucket.com/albums/z...dcopilot-1.jpg
LGMI_Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 10:50 PM   #13
Weekend Camper

Thanks Larry,

Where is Byron , MI. My dad lives in MI.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:31 AM   #14
Weekend Camper

You guys may want to check out a company called X-10 on the internet, as they have all types of camera's and stuff. Not sure of what voltage they carry but I have the home lite system and have had it for 11 years and it is great. My system controls many of the lights in the house and you do not leave your pc on as you download to a module. Their price seem good...
Robbie Ribbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 05:35 PM   #15
New Camper

We bought a system from Rear View Safety. I think it was $220? They have a site on ebay, but if you go nto thier website they have free UPS shipping. Do not forget the 22' extension cable to go from your TV to thr 5'er. We love it.

2003 F250 King Ranch 6.0 diesel

TOMNDEB is offline   Reply With Quote