Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2017, 05:58 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Dodge Cummins

I'm looking into purchasing a Dodge Cummins. A few questions. 5.9 or 6.7? short bed or long bed? Why do the deletes? EGR and Def. Right now I am pulling a 26ft travel trailer however that will change soon as well. I plan on moving to a 35ft.+ 5r. TIA!!
Old 04-02-2017, 07:47 PM   #2
Family Vacation Member

If you are planning on moving up i would definitely suggest the bigger engine. I have the 6.7 in a 2500, I only wish i had of got the 3500 SWR.

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
Pro BSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 09:52 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Our 2001, 3/4 ton long bed, 6 speed manual, 5.9 pulls our 32'Cruiser fine. In the Rockies sometimes I need to downshift to 3rd gear going uphill to keep the exhaust temperature down, but otherwise; fine. If I were going to pull anything longer or heavier, I would have the 6.7. The main drawbacks to the 6.7 would be fuel mileage (I get 20 when not pulling, which is 90% of the time we're traveling), I don't have to used DEF, and initial cost of the newer model. The longbed has served us well for 13 years without worrying about damaging the camper while turning tightly. I would have a short bed if there was normally more than just the two of us in the truck.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
Old 04-02-2017, 11:02 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

If you get the 6.7, one thing many people don't consider. While you can get it deleted, or one that is, if you ever move to a place where they have exhaust inspections (my county in Colorado does), you have to have the delete undone, and those parts are expensive. When I got my 6.7, the shop I work with said they see it all the time, make sure I don't get one deleted.
Old 04-03-2017, 03:31 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

You can't travel through some states and all the provinces with the DPF defeated. Stay away from it.
PS , dollar for dollar, pound for pound - you can't beat the Duramax Deisel.
Do the research.
Jeffur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 08:38 AM   #6
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffur View Post
You can't travel through some states and all the provinces with the DPF defeated. Stay away from it.
Do the research.
Totally agree! The Duramax/Allison combination is awesome, turn on exhaust brake, press tow haul button, set cruise & enjoy the ride.
I get 8.5-11.5 mpg, depending on terrain, towing a 16.5k 5er at 68-70 mph & don't have to manually shift gears.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 09:26 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

When towing, bigger is better. I'd go with the 6.7. I have the 6.7 powerstroke, pulls like a dream. 11-12 mpg towing, 18-20 empty. Cummings should be close to that. I like my 4 door short bed. If a everyday driver, much easier to park in tight parking spaces, etc. Didn't know u could buy def delete.
2011 27' RLX
gregtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 06:52 PM   #8
Seasonal Camper

I've been reading articles and watching YouTube vids. In a nutshell the general consensus is any diesel made after 2014 is relatively trouble free. My preference is a Ram Cummings, second would be a Ford. I'm more worried about a lemon diesel. They cost more to buy and to repair.

SeanRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 12:14 PM   #9
Family Vacation Member

FYI: While your truck may be able to tow that fast, just so you know your tires are not meant to go over 65. They get hot and will blow out. Just sayin...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
Pro BSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 01:00 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

Cummins

Quote:
Originally Posted by racechaser View Post
I'm looking into purchasing a Dodge Cummins. A few questions. 5.9 or 6.7? short bed or long bed? Why do the deletes? EGR and Def. Right now I am pulling a 26ft travel trailer however that will change soon as well. I plan on moving to a 35ft.+ 5r. TIA!!
We had a great 2004.5 RAM 2500 with the 315HP 5.9 Cummins and it was a great tow vehicle. The previous owner had modified it with a Bully Dog and rebuilt transmission. We had to watch the EGT like a hawk after the ECM, injectors and front axle being rebuilt we moved on. Oh, it had a short bed and I darn near took out the back window more than once.
Our new 2012 RAM 3500 with high output 6.7 Cummins (no DEF) and 6 speed tranny is a dream. (Exhaust Brake is stock; Trailer Brake Controller is built in, wired for a 7 pin trailer and hitch ready) The long bed is great, you never have enough room. Unfortunately the garage is 8” too short!
And Better Yet: We bought it in Livingston Montana and when we returned to Wisconsin the State audited us, because we couldn’t have purchased a RAM for that price. Ha! We Did.
Old 04-05-2017, 11:44 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffur View Post
Do the research.
Says who?

Not all states have tailpipe inspections. Also states that do inspections for their residents also do not inspect out of state noncomercial vehicles.

Out side of state required inspection the only way you'll draw the attention of local enforcement is if you are being stupid and purposefully rollin coal. Even at this you you'll get a ticket for exibition driving regardless of what state you reside or live in.

Personally I'm on the fence. My '12 superduty 6.7 is stock still (under warranty). It will prolly remain this way until the dpf needs to be cleaned or replaced.
Vikes79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 12:06 PM   #12
Seasonal Camper

What is DPF?

Old 04-05-2017, 12:44 PM   #13
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanRN View Post
What is DPF?
Diesel particulate filter.

On the 2011 to 2016 Ford 6.7l trucks it's the big rocket ship looking thing under the truck where the soot is captured and burned off during regeneration (excess fuel is injected). I'm not familiar with the other brands but I'm sure they are similar.
Old 04-05-2017, 05:41 PM   #14
Gone Traveling

The big problem is since VW got caught cheating emissions test it wouldn't surprise me to see most states start testing diesels. Currently Texas doesn't do emissions testing on diesels, at least where I get mine inspected.
Old 04-05-2017, 06:22 PM   #15
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
The big problem is since VW got caught cheating emissions test it wouldn't surprise me to see most states start testing diesels. Currently Texas doesn't do emissions testing on diesels, at least where I get mine inspected.
It's a mixed bag of who tests what. California tests everything out the ying yang and States like South Dakota don't even have vehicle inspections.

As far as future federally mandated regulations, I seriously doubt anything new will change for the next 4 years. If anything they may be relaxed as it looks like right now.

What each individual State does is up to them, but there are not any laws of any kind that would prevent an out of state modified rig from entering another State.
Old 04-19-2017, 04:49 PM   #16
Weekend Camper

Neighbor is a Tx. DPS officer and says removing def system from a diesel engine is the same as using red, off road fuel. Fines up to $10k.
2011 27' RLX
gregtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 05:09 PM   #17
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes79 View Post
Diesel particulate filter.

On the 2011 to 2016 Ford 6.7l trucks it's the big rocket ship looking thing under the truck where the soot is captured and burned off during regeneration (excess fuel is injected). I'm not familiar with the other brands but I'm sure they are similar.
Thanks for the explanation.

Old 04-19-2017, 08:19 PM   #18
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtx View Post
Neighbor is a Tx. DPS officer and says removing def system from a diesel engine is the same as using red, off road fuel. Fines up to $10k.
They can easily test for using off road diesel (it's a lot cheaper due to no taxes) & do regularly especially to contractors hauling equipment, but I've ever had anyone check emissions on a diesel & doubt seriously that a DPS trooper will be carrying the test equipment in their patrol car.
I don't plan to delete it as I don't have any issues with it or am I inconvenienced by buying or filling it & have gotten use to not having that diesel exhaust smell.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:26 PM   #19
Weekend Camper

I have both a 5.9 and the 6.7. Given a choice, I would drop the 5.9 in my 2014 and all would be right with the universe! The 6.7 is very strong and you will love the pulling power. However, be prepared for the maintenance costs. You will want to learn to do the routine service yourself.

A DIY oil, oil filter and fuel filter (there are two) change will cost you around $500 at the dealer. DIY is around $250. You also have CCV filter replacement required at 65,000. Dealers want $1,200. DIY is $125 for the same part and is very easy to do (6 bolts, remove and replace filter-it's literally that easy). You will need a code reader to clear the "See dealer now" message.

It really comes down to personal preference on the creature comforts and which brand "feels" right to you. Every brand will have its troubles, horror stories and successes. Just shop around.
Old 04-30-2017, 07:37 PM   #20
Family Vacation Member

dodge cummins

Agree with Kamper Dave. A 4door long bed tows better due to the longer wheel base,and also has a larger fuel tank. It is a little tight in parking lots and garages so do some measuring first. Olcatonr