Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2015, 06:52 AM   #1
New Camper

Electric tongue jack problem

Brand new trailer as of Oct '14, winterized and parked on a slight upgrade, and now de-winterized and ready to hitch and the tongue raised up okay, but doesn't lower down. It moved down just a bit before I raised it up to get the hitch positioned under it. Now it won't lower. Wondering if the upgrade is now creating too much "lean" or "torque" on the crank-shaft. I haven't yet tried to lower it manually...do I do that with a drill and socket? There are three rubber plugs (2 on sides and 1 on top of the hitch). What's the procedure for lowering it manually? (This is a 26' Sunset Trail Reserve.) Any help greatly appreciated.
Jim and Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 07:12 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

The plug on top is where you put the crank. Try manually cranking before using a drill.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Jason & Wendy
2014 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L PSD
2015 Keystone Montana 3711FL
B&W Patriot 16K Fifth Wheel Hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 07:14 AM   #3
New Camper

Thanks Jason!
Old 04-18-2015, 10:14 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

There is a 25A or 30A fuse that feeds the electric tongue jack. It is likely located along the inside frame of the tongue, between the front of the camper and the jack.

You probably fried the fuse. I now keep a half dozen spare fuses in my camper. When my son "helps" pack up, he runs the jack all the way up until it stops. I've found that this blows the fuse every single time, even when the weight is off the Jack.

2013 Sunset Trail 31BH
TrainSafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 10:17 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

One more thing on the fuse- they are the same as the automotive fuses, so the first time it happened to me I stole an unused fuse from the truck's electrical panel. I figured I didn't need A/C in the spring, so that one was repurposed to the tongue jack for a while.

2013 Sunset Trail 31BH
TrainSafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 05:59 PM   #6
Site Team

If all else fails, take a jack to the tongue and lift up the camper to take the pressure off the jack. See if it moves then, if so, slowly lower the jack.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 08:04 AM   #7
New Camper

Thanks Ted.The thing is, the extending was always working. It was the retraction that failed. But the next day it worked again, after having been manually lowered. It's going in to the shop for other reasons, so I'll have them check out a loose wire or something.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:10 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Sounds like thermal self resetting breaker. It probably tripped during the extend. Once it cools it resets by itself. Normal, but you can replace it if your concerned

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Jason & Wendy
2014 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L PSD
2015 Keystone Montana 3711FL
B&W Patriot 16K Fifth Wheel Hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 07:58 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrainSafe View Post
There is a 25A or 30A fuse that feeds the electric tongue jack. It is likely located along the inside frame of the tongue, between the front of the camper and the jack.

You probably fried the fuse. I now keep a half dozen spare fuses in my camper. When my son "helps" pack up, he runs the jack all the way up until it stops. I've found that this blows the fuse every single time, even when the weight is off the Jack.
You guys were a big help again this year...went to unhook the trailer and nothing going on at the tongue jack...have tried it manually before and that is not a great solution! Wondered what the heck do I do next for a few minutes, then did a quick google search and bingo, this thread comes up. Replaced the in-line fuse and back in business in no time!

Thought I would say thanks and bump this thread up so any new readers might find it as well.

As an aside, anyone looking to camp in Western, NC might want to check out Mountain Stream Campground near Marion. You are right on Buck Creek!

Notice no hose or bucket for the outdoor kitchen - loving the mod of plumbing it into the gray tank...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mountainstream.jpg (345.7 KB, 11 views)
blkdth1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 08:55 AM   #10
Seasonal Camper

I had exact same problem. Turned out to be the fuse holder. Must have got hot a few times in past. I went to the auto store and got a heavier gauge wire fuse holder with same amperage fuse and soldered it into my jack replacing the junk one.. Never been troubled since. You only have to crank manually once to remedy the problem permanently because it just not the way to start any holiday... especially if its an un-level site. I also added a 3/4 inch socket and 1/2 inch drive ratchet into the toolbox for manual mode instead of the garbage supplied by CrossRoads.. just incase....
Old 07-26-2018, 08:59 AM   #11
Family Vacation Member

This happened to us on our last trip of the year last year. I was backed in to hitch up the only way possible..."Blocking the traffic from leaving"... I could extend the jack, but it would not retreat! Had to apologize to 4-5 campers trying to leave as I manually cranked it up. Since then, no problems. Weird.

-Tim

TV: 2015 F-150 XLT Crew Cab 3.5L Eco 4x4 Max Tow
TT: 2017 26BB
SB: Catalina 22
NoodlesWIU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 07:38 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

Electric Tongue Jack Problem

Mine went dead a month or so ago, too. I located the 25amp in-line fuse and replaced it and it then
worked fine. That is until I raised it to the top to clear my trailer ball on my truck. Blew again. Replaced fuse, works fine. I have not taken it apart yet, but I think there is a grounding issue with the top of the unit when fully extended. If I go just short of fully extended, there isn’t a problem. So, until I discect the problem, I too have a half dozen fuses with me as well.
***Going for 1 million miles***
Hballer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 06:36 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hballer21 View Post
Mine went dead a month or so ago, too. I located the 25amp in-line fuse and replaced it and it then
worked fine. That is until I raised it to the top to clear my trailer ball on my truck. Blew again. Replaced fuse, works fine. I have not taken it apart yet, but I think there is a grounding issue with the top of the unit when fully extended. If I go just short of fully extended, there isn’t a problem. So, until I discect the problem, I too have a half dozen fuses with me as well.

If you are running the jack all the way to the end, and still holding the switch, I can understand why it's blowing the fuses. It's like an overload.

Maybe try putting an extra block or two under it before you start raising the trailer. That way you won't be running it up against the end of it's reach.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 12:57 PM   #14
Weekend Camper

jack

I had the same problems with the jack that came with my Z-1 "Lippert jack" I would have sworn it was a grounding or wiring problem sometimes it would work sometimes not fineally got tired of checking the wires and fuse and bought a Stromberg jack when I took the Lippert jack off water poured out of top of it where the motor was,so much for the rubber cap keeping water out,pretty sure that's where the water was getting in because the manual crank nut and surrounding area was all rusted.

I like the Stromburg set up on the top it's not a rubber cap it's a threaded cap like on a gas can

Stromburg jack works way better then the Lippert not as loud and faster.
mossyoak1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 02:29 PM   #15
Weekend Camper

Mine is rusty on the inside, like yours. I think there is a new jack in my future. Thanks for the heads up.
***Going for 1 million miles***
Hballer21 is offline   Reply With Quote