Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2016, 12:13 PM   #21
Weekend Camper

I have an 05 F250 supercrew with 5.4 and 3.73 rearend. I am pulling a 2011 Zinger but my rpm does not run that high (with tow mode off). After doing a ton of research myself on this truck and transmission, I found where a Ford engineer stated that this transmission can be used with the tow/haul mode either on or off, it will not matter to the transmission as far as causing any damage, it was designed to be used either way. With the tow haul mode on, yes you are going to be running in the neighborhood of 3000 rpm because that makes the transmission go to a higher shift point strategy (the truck determines the best rpm range based on the load the engine and transmission are seeing), with it off you will be considerably less than that. This engines max horsepower is 300hp at 3000 rpm, so you are in the power range of the engine. My thoughts would be to tow with the tow/haul mode off and watch your transmission and engine temperature gauges, I do this and neither of the gauges move from where they are if I wasn't towing.

Me and the 'Girls'
Jim, Kristina, Brianna, Kailee, Emma, Nalee the dog and Scout the cat
(even the dog and cat are girls)
Vermtown Zinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 12:30 PM   #22
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermtown Zinger View Post
I have an 05 F250 supercrew with 5.4 and 3.73 rearend. I am pulling a 2011 Zinger but my rpm does not run that high (with tow mode off). After doing a ton of research myself on this truck and transmission, I found where a Ford engineer stated that this transmission can be used with the tow/haul mode either on or off, it will not matter to the transmission as far as causing any damage, it was designed to be used either way.
My thoughts would be to tow with the tow/haul mode off and watch your transmission and temperature gauges, I do this and neither of the gauges move from where they are if I wasn't towing.
After that ton of research, did you read your truck manual that indicates that running in tow/haul mode keeps the tranny cooler?
Also, that your gauges do not move up and down slightly while operating. The gauges stay in one spot unless cold or overheating. You really need to run on board diagnostics to measure true temps.
My Dashboss allows me to measure specifics, such as below.
Attached Images
File Type: png image.png (118.6 KB, 2 views)

Bob and Better Half

2007 F-250 PSD, SW, CC, LB, 2WD
2006 TF32SS Cross Terrain Toy Hauler (sold)
Reese 16k slider
r2millers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 12:36 PM   #23
Full Time Camper

Here's the page out of my truck manual on my 5r110 tranny.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (243.0 KB, 5 views)

Bob and Better Half

2007 F-250 PSD, SW, CC, LB, 2WD
2006 TF32SS Cross Terrain Toy Hauler (sold)
Reese 16k slider
r2millers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 01:16 PM   #24
Site Team

I'm nowhere near being a certified auto/truck technician. (not even close)

With that being said, here is my take on the tow/haul mode.
If they didn't figure it was needed, why put it in the truck in the first place?

If you are running 3000 rpm and it's not shifting in to OD, then I would surmise you must be at your max for your truck. Running with the tow/haul mode off just to get it into OD isn't the answer.

I NEVER tow without being in tow/haul!
A few years back we were coming across NE. S.D. MN. and the winds were so strong hitting us on the right front corner, that there were times the truck was down in 4th gear trying to maintain set speed. We pulled off early those days.

I'm getting a little off topic here, but wanted to point that out.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 01:16 PM   #25
Weekend Camper

I am not saying I know it all and if doing research on things like this doesn't mean much to some, than by all means go by the manual. To me, experience means something and what I put in my previous post is from the experience I have had with a similar setup to anoterrv's setup. I use an OBD2 reader that transmits information to my phone so that I can get realtime information as well, and in my experience, the engine and transmission temperatures do not increase all that much during towing (tow mode on or off), no where's near where I need to be at all concerned. I agree the gauges don't move much during operation, but they will move when the temperatures start getting to a "warned" high temperature reading, so they cannot be disregarded. These trucks were designed for pulling and working hard and if you don't overwork them, they will do just fine (in my experience), even pulling with the tow/haul mode off.

Me and the 'Girls'
Old 11-07-2016, 06:48 PM   #26
Weekend Camper

Ok thanks, I'll try this next time. I've always had it in tow/haul mode and haven't even forgot on accident.
anotherrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 07:10 PM   #27
Weekend Camper

Does the OBD2 transmit to the phone by Bluetooth?
Old 11-07-2016, 07:14 PM   #28
Weekend Camper

Thanks LLoyd, I was wonder how to get that info on there, I think I got it.
Old 11-07-2016, 07:24 PM   #29
Site Team

The only time I put my truck in Tow Mode is when I'm driving in traffic where there are a lot of stop lights, when I pull onto a freeway entrance ramp (to keep the truck from shifting into 6th until I reach 65) and when going down steep hills so I don't have to use the brakes.

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2024: 2 trips, 26 nights in 8 states, 4801 miles
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 3904 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 06:13 AM   #30
Weekend Camper

The OBD2 reader does use bluetooth to transmit to the phone. You can get a reader that does this from $10 to $100 or higher, I would steer clear of the $10 versions myself, but some people may have good luck with them. I put my phone in a device that holds it and mounts in one of the cup holders and run an app on the phone that lets me chose what information I want to see. The nice thing is that it is a live stream of data and the data is very accurate as it is the same information the ECM is seeing from all the sensors, I believe I read somewhere the temperature readings the sensors send out are sent in 1/10th of a degree increments. It's a fairly inexpensive way putting gauges in your truck, if you don't mind using your phone for it, I have see some people buy a small, cheap tablet to use instead of their phone.

Me and the 'Girls'