Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2016, 08:38 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

F-150 EcoBoost mods?

Just purchased a 2013 F-150 ecoboost as my new tow rig. As a typical man, I can't leave well enough alone. I have heard/read a lot about some impressive gains in HP, fuel economy, and torque by swapping out the intake, adding a programmer, and cat-back exhaust systems.

Has anyone done any mods to their EcoBoost and what was the results?
I already ordered helper bags.

Thanks
BMVillines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 10:01 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Look up MRBP exhaust. I have a GMC, but looks awesome.
2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 06:43 AM   #3
Site Team

I recommend that you try it first before doing any mods for more HP.
You might be surprised at what your new truck has for power without the need for trying to add more.
I had thought about putting a Bullydog program in mine when I got it. After towing with it I decided it wasn't needed. Also a little leery at trying to add more HP in on top of those duel turbos in that little V6.
Lloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 10:22 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Agree with Lloyd...
while I EVERY turbo diesel I had was tuned to up to +100 hp level,
and just about every gas vehicle I've ever had (including my current Jeep) gets their little 25 to 30 hp gain.

the ecoboost has not been tuned yet...
yes - reports of upwards of 80+ hp are enticing, and granted ours is in a nice awd explorer sport...
but stock, it will rip the steering wheel out of an unsuspecting drivers hand on the 1-2 shift it is so strong!

Save your warranty for now and let the engine prove itself to you first... make sure no hiccups that might need the mfg's tlc...
(fyi, ours has been perfect!)

all mfg's are very, VERY good at identifying engines that have been 'played with' no matter WHAT the tuner vendors say or the Magnuson-Moss warranty act says...

All the dealer has to say is Nope - not covering it" - and you are out a vehicle while your one lawyer sues their 30 lawyers
Old 06-20-2016, 09:05 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

Thanks gentlemen for your feedback. I will probably leave it alone for a while since I'm broke now..lol.

My first tow with it is 3 days away! Excited to see how it does. I've heard the MRBP exhaust is nice, but resonates pretty bad inside the cab at various RPM's. I'm not looking into anything extreme, just helping the engine breath a little easier.
BMVillines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 06:29 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

You'll get the most horsepower and torque banq from Ecoboost mods in this order: program, exhaust, intake. Intake is negligible and there are opinions out there that the only ways to increase air in are to either expand the filter area or make the filter less granular which risks allowing impurities in.
Having said all that Ford factory techs have stated that these engines are set up in the vehicle to achieve about 80% efficiency (with regards to power production). The idea is that running them full out increases engine wear reducing engine and engine component life.
So my personal opinion is that for normal driving boosting the Ecoboost may be a fun way to spend your money (my 12 year old Harley has increased air, fuel and exhaust flow but runs cool enough that you can rest your hand on the heads when it's been running for a while on a hot day and not get burned. The engine works and looks like brand new) but with your Ecoboost if you are doing a lot of towing in the upper ranges of your GVWR you may wish to preserve the built-in 20% engine safety buffer bc you'll be running it hotter anyways.

Again, just an opinion. Actual results will vary.
Old 06-23-2016, 05:48 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

CAT Back

When it comes to exhaust - unless you go with the Full Monty from the manifold back - anything else is jewellery. Your engine is an air pump - air in - burn it with a fuel mixture - air (exhaust) out. With your engine - there are absolutely no bolt on parts whee you will achieve any significantly appreciable mileage gains. All HP gains come at a cost - be very careful what you read..........there is lots of BS out there.

Roselyn and Darrell
2007.5 Silverado LT/EFI Live Tuned Duramax/6Spd Allison/Banks Ram Air with Super Scoop/Edge CTS Gauges/Air Lift Load Lifter 5000 Ultimate Air Springs
2014 335ss Cruiser Provincial
Retired Navy
Darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 07:01 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

X2 on Lloyd and Darrel''s comments. I have a 2011 and have yet to find any mod for the Ecoboost that justifies the cost.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote