Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2014, 10:17 PM   #41
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioMark View Post
So I looked up TPMS, its not what i was originally thinking. I assumed it tracked actual pressure and transmitted to a readout in the dash. TPMS has a threshold that triggers a dummy light.

I misunderstood and yes, I checked the manual and I'm legal.

How does the system know when I swap out LT tires for 10-ply (go from 32 running psi up to , oh about 55-80)??
That's a good question. I discovered the big brother act when my TPMS warning went off while towing. Mine uses 60 in the front and 80 in the rear. When the dealer rotated the tires he didn't recalibrate the tires to the new position. We were only a few miles from home when the TPMS went off, something about 60lb in the front I guess when the TPMS was calibrated for 80 in the previous position (rear). I know, my bad for not checking tire pressure before leaving. I checked the pressure and it was where it should have been but it still wouldn't cut off. I had to recalibrate the wheels to their new location before it would shut off.

On the systems with the same pressure on all 4 tires I don't know what the criteria is for it to go off. My guess would be if your vehicle is spec'ed for 35 PSI then around 30 it would go off to warn you. When you go to 10 ply and 80 PSI, who knows. If it doesn't go off until the 30 level you will have problems before that making it about worthless.

Time to beat on Ford for answers.....
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:27 AM   #42
Full Time Camper

Clif...

My Hyundai manual states criteria is +/- 3 PSI. I had it light up with low pressure, and I overfilled one tire a bit and left it. Light stayed on until I let some air OUT.

Your owners manual may say...
2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 07:23 AM   #43
Family Vacation Member

I have a '14 Tundra Crew Max and can easily fit three kids in the back (though I only have two, we often take one of their friends). Not sure what your rig is, but the Tundra can likely pull it.
nachtmsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:32 AM   #44
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewbldavis View Post
Clif...

My Hyundai manual states criteria is +/- 3 PSI. I had it light up with low pressure, and I overfilled one tire a bit and left it. Light stayed on until I let some air OUT.

Your owners manual may say...
Yeah Ford, my owners manual states "The Low Tire Warning Light will turn ON if the tire pressure is significantly low". Page 247 of the 2009 Super Duty Owners manual.
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote