Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2015, 10:47 AM   #41
Full Time Camper

I have always ran the same pressure front and back, but recently thought about just maxing out the air pressure in the rear since it has all the tongue weight. The reason being my front end felt light during turning, and I thought with less air pressure in front it might increase the steering a bit. I just installed the air springs and that might also help. If you say all tires need to be the same I will max out all four.
Former: Crossroads ST26RB
Steve7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 11:20 AM   #42
Site Team

Your window sticker does not show that you have LT tires which are E rated tires. Plus it only shows "max trailer tow", and not the "heavy duty payload option." The other option that goes with the heavy duty payload is the 3.73 rear.
Now don't get me wrong, your truck is more than adequate for the rv you have, and you should have no problems with it.
Do love those new F150's

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 11:24 AM   #43
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve7 View Post
I have always ran the same pressure front and back, but recently thought about just maxing out the air pressure in the rear since it has all the tongue weight. The reason being my front end felt light during turning, and I thought with less air pressure in front it might increase the steering a bit. I just installed the air springs and that might also help. If you say all tires need to be the same I will max out all four.

If you have your bars set right and your truck and trailer set level, you shouldn't be experiencing the feeling that the front end is light. The bars should actually transfer weight to the front axle.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 11:29 AM   #44
Weekend Camper

Yeah, didn't even know there was a max payload package and would not have gotten it anyway. Thought Lloyd was saying I did not have the max tow. If/when we get a new rig, it would be a class A so the max payload would never be needed.

I'll try going up to 45 next time in the rear and see how it feels.

Did I mention I love my truck?

Peace and blessings
blkdth1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 11:35 AM   #45
Site Team

Did I mention I love your truck also??

If only I could convince my wife.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 11:38 AM   #46
Full Time Camper

Thanks Lloyd. I think the WD bars are correct, but the dealer chose the lowest option on the hitch. I think it needs to go up one hole.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:27 AM   #47
Full Time Camper

Steve, you are right on track. Probably a bit bouncy, too, isn't it.

I adjusted my hitch once already, and it improved but still felt light and bouncy. Added a washer and we will see next time (Equalizer hitch).
2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 12:08 PM   #48
Full Time Camper

Tire pressures don't have to match in many cases unless the F150 is significantly different than my F350. I have a much heavier front end in my 1 ton diesel and I run what is recommended - 80 PSI Rear and 65 PSI front all year round. Towing or not. The rear tire pressure is critical to load and also tire wear and will definitely improve handling when aired up to the max recommended pressure. Fronts are a different story and won't require that pressure or need it. Better for handing/steering when they aren't hard as rock.
Saskatoon, SK
WildWildWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 01:00 PM   #49
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewbldavis View Post
Steve, you are right on track. Probably a bit bouncy, too, isn't it.

I adjusted my hitch once already, and it improved but still felt light and bouncy. Added a washer and we will see next time (Equalizer hitch).
I'm not aware of what adding a washer accomplishes. I guess I will have to look into that. Thanks Eddie.
Old 11-24-2015, 01:01 PM   #50
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWildWest View Post
Tire pressures don't have to match in many cases unless the F150 is significantly different than my F350. I have a much heavier front end in my 1 ton diesel and I run what is recommended - 80 PSI Rear and 65 PSI front all year round. Towing or not. The rear tire pressure is critical to load and also tire wear and will definitely improve handling when aired up to the max recommended pressure. Fronts are a different story and won't require that pressure or need it. Better for handing/steering when they aren't hard as rock.
That's what I was thinking. Thanks Scott.
Old 11-24-2015, 01:41 PM   #51
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve7 View Post
I'm not aware of what adding a washer accomplishes. I guess I will have to look into that. Thanks Eddie.
When you look at your hitch from the top , you will see a few washers inside. Disassebmble the hitch and add 1 washer. The bars will be angled down at the back a little bit more after re assembly thus raising the rear of the truck and front of the trailer. Bars will stay level as they were before. If you just raised the part on the trailer the bars would be on an angle and not have correct contact with l brackets.( I assume you have equilizer 4 point)

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 02:53 PM   #52
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
When you look at your hitch from the top , you will see a few washers inside. Disassebmble the hitch and add 1 washer. The bars will be angled down at the back a little bit more after re assembly thus raising the rear of the truck and front of the trailer. Bars will stay level as they were before. If you just raised the part on the trailer the bars would be on an angle and not have correct contact with l brackets.( I assume you have equilizer 4 point)
Thanks Harley. I noticed the washers when I had it installed. Haven't changed anything yet except to take up one link on chain. I'll be hooking to trailer next week to expirament further and to try out the air bags. I have to say I really liked the airbags when I hauled a heavy item yesterday, but haven't tried with trailer yet.
Old 11-24-2015, 03:27 PM   #53
Full Time Camper

Ok , You have the chain system , taking up one or 2 links will make the bars look un even compared to the trailer a frame . and doesn't give the chains enough length in tight turns. Better keep them even . Adding a washer is easy after you do it once. Remember to tighten the big bolts tight , may want to add a pipe to the wrench for more torque. and there is a smaller bolt on the bottom to take up play before you tighten big bolts. good luck .

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 03:42 PM   #54
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Ok , You have the chain system , taking up one or 2 links will make the bars look un even compared to the trailer a frame . and doesn't give the chains enough length in tight turns. Better keep them even . Adding a washer is easy after you do it once. Remember to tighten the big bolts tight , may want to add a pipe to the wrench for more torque. and there is a smaller bolt on the bottom to take up play before you tighten big bolts. good luck .
Gotcha. Thanks Harley!
Old 01-12-2016, 12:31 PM   #55
Family Vacation Member

The 2015 and 2016 F-150's You can only get the HD package on an XLT if you have the 6.5ft. bed (for the crew cab) equipment group 300A. So no chrome package, no side step bars. So Yes, you gain some extra payload, but you loose out on the nice comforts. Most of us go with the F-150 because its used everyday, not just for towing, so giving up the comforts would suck. The only other option is to start looking at the superduty line.
NoodlesWIU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 10:00 PM   #56
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodlesWIU View Post
The 2015 and 2016 F-150's You can only get the HD package on an XLT if you have the 6.5ft. bed (for the crew cab) equipment group 300A. So no chrome package, no side step bars. So Yes, you gain some extra payload, but you loose out on the nice comforts. Most of us go with the F-150 because its used everyday, not just for towing, so giving up the comforts would suck. The only other option is to start looking at the superduty line.
Besides the step bars, which you can easily add with aftermarket ones. What other comforts do you lose? IMHO chrome is not a comfort item.
2011 Ram 2500 4x4 6.7 CTD
4kids2dogs&RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 06:20 AM   #57
Family Vacation Member

It is, if your wife is 5 foot. The other items you lose are backup camera, 7 way seats (heated), power adjustable pedals, SYNC, power sliding rear window, remote start. I think those are the big ones. The real big ones to me are the steps for her, and the backup camera for me. The only thing I wish it has was what my 2010 F-150 Lariat has, and thats 2 memory settings for seat, pedals, and mirrors. So when she drives she just presses a button and it doesn't take any time to adjust mirrors etc.

-Tim

TV: 2015 F-150 XLT Crew Cab 3.5L Eco 4x4 Max Tow
TT: 2017 26BB
SB: Catalina 22
NoodlesWIU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 03:50 PM   #58
Weekend Camper

Love me some chrome package...Really wish I had the memory seats, too...You not only get all the goodies you mention, but that (moderator edit) grill, wheels, door handles, and exhaust tip.

Makes me smile every time I look at my truck...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0796.jpg (120.1 KB, 7 views)
blkdth1313 is offline   Reply With Quote