Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2018, 01:43 PM   #1
Full Time Camper

Ford from the Great White North

Hey,

I know we have some Ford experts (and even employees) out there and some folks from Canada so I'll throw out this question

So, I priced a bunch of new F350s in the fall and decided there is no way I'm putting out $75-80K for a truck. However, my bride sat in a Platinum and "WE" decided "WE" have to have all the niceties of the upper range models and it has to be a 2017 or newer with the aluminum body and newer style.

So I have a conundrum. I'm slightly frugal (some say cheap) and trying to make sanity out of these prices.

My question is, Do I need to be concerned buying a truck previously titled north of the border? I found a nice F350 priced really well with 25K on the odo and 890 hours on the meter, no reset.

I keep finding low mileage 2017's at dealerships priced really below book value and the window stickers/carfax are almost always stating it was a bought in Ontario. Canada, not California.

I did some digging and turns out there is a whole cottage industry in importing newer used low mileage vehicles from Canada to US to take advantage of the currency exchange benefit. Its big business and there is actually an auction house north of detroit that moves 10s of thousands of vehicles a year this way.

In fact, their website (exclusively for dealers, not for joe public) states that with the exception of Chrysler, factory warranties carry south to the US.

Anyone out there familiar with this business and can tell me if I should buy or run away screaming?

BTW...If I pull the trigger, I am going from 9800# max towing to 20,000#..woohoo! time for that 5ver

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 02:53 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

With a 30% exchange rate , all the trucks I have owned went state side . Mine are all GM ,but Ford do the same . When our dollar went even exchange , US trucks were coming into Canada . They have to be a minimum 6 months old .

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 03:15 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

I talked to Ford Canada customer service and they were helpful. Said no issues with warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 04-06-2018, 11:06 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Ohio Mark
If you decide to pull the trigger on that F350 and it is a short bed I have a Pull-rite auto slider I will sell you for a great price...

Although by your last line I'm pretty sure your talking about a long bed DW......
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 05:43 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

I bought a 2017 Lariet Diesel Dually in Dec. LOVE it. I just had the underbed 5th wheel puck system installed. If you buy the truck and it doesn't have that in it, take a look at Fordaccessories.com. You can order the underbed system for $799 and take the option of including installation for $100. They ship it to your local dealer and they have to install it for $100. It is a very good deal. I priced an aftermarket one to be put in for $1500!
Old 04-07-2018, 10:27 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Impres
I also bought a F350 Lariet 6.7 DW...I put a B&W under bed goose neck ball mount on the truck...Also got a DEMCO 20K 5th wheel hitch that is held in place by the goose neck ball, no puck system and only one hole in the bed...

In God We Trust
Old 04-07-2018, 12:26 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Only issue I would see is that its an export and everything is read in km instead of mph. Same with miles to empty will read km.
Old 04-07-2018, 12:35 PM   #8
Family Vacation Member

On second thought scratch that, you can probably go into the settings app and change it.
Old 04-07-2018, 01:29 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioMark View Post
Hey,

I know we have some Ford experts (and even employees) out there and some folks from Canada so I'll throw out this question

So, I priced a bunch of new F350s in the fall and decided there is no way I'm putting out $75-80K for a truck. However, my bride sat in a Platinum and "WE" decided "WE" have to have all the niceties of the upper range models and it has to be a 2017 or newer with the aluminum body and newer style.

So I have a conundrum. I'm slightly frugal (some say cheap) and trying to make sanity out of these prices.

My question is, Do I need to be concerned buying a truck previously titled north of the border? I found a nice F350 priced really well with 25K on the odo and 890 hours on the meter, no reset.

I keep finding low mileage 2017's at dealerships priced really below book value and the window stickers/carfax are almost always stating it was a bought in Ontario. Canada, not California.

I did some digging and turns out there is a whole cottage industry in importing newer used low mileage vehicles from Canada to US to take advantage of the currency exchange benefit. Its big business and there is actually an auction house north of detroit that moves 10s of thousands of vehicles a year this way.

In fact, their website (exclusively for dealers, not for joe public) states that with the exception of Chrysler, factory warranties carry south to the US.

Anyone out there familiar with this business and can tell me if I should buy or run away screaming?

BTW...If I pull the trigger, I am going from 9800# max towing to 20,000#..woohoo! time for that 5ver

I'm a Ford guy and have been for ever, but the '17's have little to no advantage over the 16's other than a few pounds of paper capacity. If you want to save money you should be looking at new or low mile 16's.

There is no real weight savings (the advertised is 350 lbs at best) with the 17's and you have all the complications of the poorly built aluminum bed fastened by steel fasteners (galvanic corrosion) plus the crappy cab from the 150 that rides and seats like garbage. Toss in 1st year production problems and you have one wonderfully expensive pile of garbage.

There's already problems with galvanic corrosion on the F150's, all you have to do is remove any the of the fender screws and wipe away the white powder under the fastner.

Plenty of good low mile 16's out there yet on a tried and true platform. I bought my '16 F350 brand new for 20K less than the equivalent '17 last October. No funky electric steering or electric fan failures to deal with either.

After 25 years of Fords, I doubt I will ever buy another especially if they look or are built as the current crop of garbage.

2017 Crossroads Volante 310bh
2016 Ford F-350 6.7l PSD Superduty

Vikes79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 02:15 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

So you bought a 2016. Got it

Old 04-07-2018, 02:36 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyT View Post
Ohio Mark

If you decide to pull the trigger on that F350 and it is a short bed I have a Pull-rite auto slider I will sell you for a great price...

Although by your last line I'm pretty sure your talking about a long bed DW......

We’re still 3-4 years away for the 5ver. I’m future proofing since I own my vehicles 8-10 years.

Old 04-07-2018, 02:55 PM   #12
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes79 View Post
I'm a Ford guy and have been for ever, but the '17's have little to no advantage over the 16's other than a few pounds of paper capacity. If you want to save money you should be looking at new or low mile 16's.

There is no real weight savings (the advertised is 350 lbs at best) with the 17's and you have all the complications of the poorly built aluminum bed fastened by steel fasteners (galvanic corrosion) plus the crappy cab from the 150 that rides and seats like garbage. Toss in 1st year production problems and you have one wonderfully expensive pile of garbage.

There's already problems with galvanic corrosion on the F150's, all you have to do is remove any the of the fender screws and wipe away the white powder under the fastner.

Plenty of good low mile 16's out there yet on a tried and true platform. I bought my '16 F350 brand new for 20K less than the equivalent '17 last October. No funky electric steering or electric fan failures to deal with either.

After 25 years of Fords, I doubt I will ever buy another especially if they look or are built as the current crop of garbage.
Ford has been using aluminum parts for almost 15 yrs.now, nothing new. As for as your 16 350 not having a electric fan then you must have a 6.8 v-10. The 6.7 Diesel and the 6.2 gas have an electronic fan clutch. No Super Duty has electric power steering. I would find a different dealer if there going to charge you 20k more for a 2017.
superduty glampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 12:34 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

Just to close the loop on what I started. I decided to pass on the truck from Canada. I plan on buying a low mileage F350 however I’m not convinced I would not have warranty issues

I was able to find the window sticker online and it clearly states “Not for sale or registration in US”

I’ll wait till another pops up on the radar. Everyone thanks for the input

Old 04-13-2018, 05:08 PM   #14
Family Vacation Member

Could be that they don't use DEF in Canada not sure, I know the Mexico exports don't have DEF tanks they don't use it there.
superduty glampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 05:29 PM   #15
Full Time Camper

We use DEF in Canada..Same vehicles sold here and in the US. Companies cannot sell NEW vehicles in Canada to a US citizen and visa versa from US to a Canadian unless the vehicle is 6 months old. all has to do with exchange rates.... GM and Ford warranties apply on 6 month olds but Chrysler warranties do not crossborders..

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 07:40 AM   #16
Full Time Camper

So I was passing through the area that had the truck for sale. So two things you don’t go window shopping for. Walked in 15 min before they closed. Couple scratches but otherwise a great truck. They made me a deal I couldn’t refuse. I now own a 2017 F350. Not sure if this was a great deal or not but I paid NADA trade in for this truck and got full value on my trade. I’m guessing I got the benefit of the first year depreciation and exchange rate. They wanted to move this vehicle. Time will tell. I was looking at Lariats in this price range.

Pictures forthcoming when I pick it up.

Old 04-22-2018, 08:27 AM   #17
Full Time Camper

Ohio Mark
Congratulations on the F350...I also bought a F350 recently...Love the truck but a little disturbed about something said in this thread about dissimilar metals between the body panels and the fasteners that attach the panels to the truck and each other...Something I did not consider before I bought the truck...So at this point I wish you great luck with your new truck and hope the same for myself...

In God We Trust
Old 04-22-2018, 09:34 AM   #18
Full Time Camper

My 2011 150 has an aluminum hood. I talked to my buddy who has a specialty body shop. Like it was said. Ford and everyone else has been using alum for years.

Old 04-22-2018, 09:46 AM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioMark View Post
So I was passing through the area that had the truck for sale. So two things you don’t go window shopping for. Walked in 15 min before they closed. Couple scratches but otherwise a great truck. They made me a deal I couldn’t refuse. I now own a 2017 F350. Not sure if this was a great deal or not but I paid NADA trade in for this truck and got full value on my trade. I’m guessing I got the benefit of the first year depreciation and exchange rate. They wanted to move this vehicle. Time will tell. I was looking at Lariats in this price range.

Pictures forthcoming when I pick it up.

WOW!
Congrats. I can see there is nothing spontaneous about you.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 10:05 AM   #20
Full Time Camper

Nothing spontaneous here. Ive been shopping for over a year and I’ve been watching this truck for two months. Been weighing options. The dealership is two hours away.