Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2016, 11:16 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Ford Superduty 6.2L or 6.7L

So I'm looking for feedback from some folks who have the Ford Super Duty 6.2L Gas, and 6.7L Diesel trucks.

I'm looking to replace my 2010 F-150 and will mostly likely stick with travel trailers loaded between 8000-10000 lbs. Is the 6.7L worth the extra $8K, and maintenance costs for a trailer of these weights when it would be my everyday vehicle? We are hoping to do one big trip a year with the trailer. We live in the Chicago area, so We'd love to go to the Florida Keys, Colorado, East Coast. But a majority of our trips will be relatively local within a couple hundred miles from home for weekend trips.

Our 2015 F-150 Ecoboost will do the job for local stuff, but I think it would be more comfortable in a 3/4 ton Gas, or 1 ton Diesel.

A 250 Diesel just doesn't have the payload we need for 2 Adults, and 2 high school aged kids. So We'd have to go a 350 diesel, or a 250 gas.

So being an everyday truck with the occasional long trips, is the 6.7 diesel just all out "you have to have it!" for comfort, or is the 6.2 just fine for the long trips, and more comfortable for everyday driving?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! =)

-Tim

TV: 2015 F-150 XLT Crew Cab 3.5L Eco 4x4 Max Tow
TT: 2017 26BB
SB: Catalina 22
NoodlesWIU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 12:16 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

I upgraded to diesel and I will never go back. Best upgrade I did. Also don't go for the 250, Get the 350 for only a couple thousand more. I know you say you don't plan to haul more trailer, but if your going to upgrade get something that will allow your trailer to be upgraded in the future. I started with a 150 and a 21 foot trailer, then a 32 foot trailer and now a 350 with a 5th wheel. The 5th wheel pulls better than any trailer I had and the living space is awesome.

Jason & Wendy
2014 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L PSD
2015 Keystone Montana 3711FL
B&W Patriot 16K Fifth Wheel Hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 01:25 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

I have the 6.7 diesel, I haul a 30 foot Cruiser Aire 5th wheel. I can literally, pass cars with that truck, pulling a trailer. Consistently 12.8 average per the gauge, may go up or down depending on wind.
I talked to a guy with a Dodge F250 gas and he was very disappointed. Said every incline, overpass, the truck would drop down in gears and the engine rpm's jumped up.
Just my 2cents. Good luck
Old 02-05-2016, 01:30 PM   #4
Site Team

Once you get the hankering for a diesel, nothing else will be good enough

Been there, done that.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 01:53 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

it's not just the pulling weight, but the CARRYING weight you should be considering...

a diesel will typically PULL anything you want just loping along AND get 20 mpg when not towing... but a gasser has limits, will be screaming when towing, and strain to get 10 mpg when NOT towing...

just do some searches on ford-trucks.com - there's MANY opinions... good luck on your decision...
Old 02-05-2016, 02:21 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

We bought a new F250 6.7 liter diesel in June and love it. It has a lot of power, gets good fuel mileage and is a very comfortable vehicle to drive. We got the crew cab and 8 foot box.

Correct me if I'm wrong, guys, but isn't the only difference between the 250 and the 350 the payload you can take in the box? A friend of ours has an F350 diesel and has the same size engine we do. If you haul a travel trailer, then the payload in the box shouldn't be an issue, right?

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 02:44 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

the primary difference is the RATINGS - some have gone so far as to state that they are the same underpinnings just rated differently

All I know is that my 350 platinum had a higher rating for my 5er cuz I paid more at the tax office
Old 02-05-2016, 03:32 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

Faced with the same question in 2014, I bought a F-250 gas truck to pull a 33 ft. 12,500 lb fifth wheel trailer (Cruiser). Big mistake as I was not happy especially hauling uphill. So then I did what I should have done in the first place, traded in for the right truck, a F-350 Diesel. What a difference. For me that question is a no-brainer. I love my new truck, even though I wasted money getting it right.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:36 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

Have had both chev 2500 gas and diesel. Even with just a truck camper on top last summer , the gasser was laboring up the hills compared to the diesel pulling a 30 TT.
I think the only major difference between the 2500 and the 3500 is in the rear suspension, the 3500 has both upper and lower overload springs where the 2500 only has the lower overloads. Hence the difference in payload.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 08:35 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneoak View Post
We bought a new F250 6.7 liter diesel in June and love it. It has a lot of power, gets good fuel mileage and is a very comfortable vehicle to drive. We got the crew cab and 8 foot box.

Correct me if I'm wrong, guys, but isn't the only difference between the 250 and the 350 the payload you can take in the box? A friend of ours has an F350 diesel and has the same size engine we do. If you haul a travel trailer, then the payload in the box shouldn't be an issue, right?
With the diesel option, there is very little difference between the F250 and F350. Leaf spring pack, tires and wheels. The F250 will have a rear GAWR around 6100 lbs and the F350 around 7000 lbs. The F250 can even be optioned with everything that the F350 has (i.e. springs, tires and wheels) and therefore while technically identical, the door sticker will still have the lower GVWR and GAWR ratings of regular F250's. Seems like a dumb move to have the capabilities of an F350 but still legally just an F250, but maybe it saves on registration fees or something.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 05:23 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

Larry, you are correct... been a while since I was in the large deezle truck arena,
but if I remember correctly, it has something to do with certification and
some of the more communistic states have a 10k rule that require almost commercial rates on vehicle registration if you go over it,
so the mfgs build to 9900 lb gvw to stay under it and still sell their trucks
Old 02-07-2016, 09:45 AM   #12
Gone Traveling

If your towing in the mountains (if only once a year) definitely get the diesel with exhaust brake, if not you'll regret it. The fuel mileage on both will be about the same empty & much better with the diesel towing & the towing power difference is night & day.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 10:18 AM   #13
Family Vacation Member

I've been towing a Redwood 36 FL for almost 2 years with a 6.2 gas truck and haven't had any trouble going up or down hills. I'm under my payload and tow rating.
Old 02-07-2016, 10:27 AM   #14
Seasonal Camper

Get the 350. I had a 2500HD Chevy. While it pulled ok and handled the load, it just didn't have enough springs under it. I upgraded to a 3500HD and it made a huge difference.

That said, there was a guy parked 2 sites away this week pulling a 46' toy hauler with a 450. Definitely needed the bigger truck but he did pay a price as it was a real treat to park.

I've pulled with both gas and diesel. I'll not go back to gas willingly.
2021 Alliance Paradigm 365RD
WoodcarvingGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 05:20 PM   #15
Weekend Camper

If you are going to shop for a diesel, then you really need to spend the time looking at all three manufacturers (Ford, Chevy and Ram). Dodge does not make trucks anymore and has not for three years.

Each make will have their pro's and con's. Driving a diesel is different than driving a gasser. It takes time to learn the proper way to operate a diesel truck at peak efficiency. The only way to make an informed decision is to visit all three and drive them.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:51 AM   #16
Seasonal Camper

I have to agree with Frosty. I went with the GM trucks for 2 reasons. First & foremost, the engine/transmission combination is almost bulletproof (referred to as fireman/EMT proof locally, we use that chassis on grass & ambulance). Second was that I get a GM discount.

I purchased my truck from a GM/Chrysler dealer that has a very good reputation. The conversation started with "what exactly do you want to do with this truck" and progressed from there. As soon as I told him that I wanted a tow vehicle to pull a bumper pull & then move to a 5th wheel, he strongly suggested that unless I wanted a standard transmission, stay away from the Ram & go with the 6.6L/Allison combination.

It seems that they sell a lot to farmers and transport users. The Ram kept coming back with trans issues from heat or other issues (farmers aren't particularly kind to transmissions, evidently). The fleet guy there at the dealership indicated that unless I wanted to take out the factory unit and put in a "built for towing" transmission in the Ram, I'd probably have a few issues up the line.

That said, I know a good number of folks that swear by the Ram, an equal number with the various Ford units, and several with the GM trucks. All tow various loads and seem to get along well.

The other bit that I'll throw into the mix is that a number of the fire departments that I know have moved away from the Ford 6L units and gone to either the 6.7L diesel, the V10 gas (Louisville FD), or gone to the GM chassis. Those guys put a truck through a bit harder use than we would towing (or at least I hope we don't run them that hard). The 6L Ford that my FD runs has had some issues, we just traded off the older 7.3L chassis for a new GM 6.6L/Allison.

Your results may vary. The other bit is driver/passenger comfort. Since you'll spend a few hours in the control chair, make sure it's comfortable and you like the vehicle.
2021 Alliance Paradigm 365RD
WoodcarvingGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 08:54 AM   #17
Gone Traveling

I agree on the comfort Gypsy! Had Ford's for 30+ years at work & for that reason I'll never own one, IMO the GM is night & day better ride & handling. This I'm sure will cause a huge debate, but that's my story & sticking to it.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 04:08 AM   #18
Family Vacation Member

I've been pulling a 10000 plus 5er with my 2012 F250 and have no complaints. Did a long trip last summer (NH to South Carolina) and it did fine. When comparing gas mileage, don't forget to factor in the lower cost of gas verses diesel...
Old 02-09-2016, 06:22 AM   #19
Full Time Camper

I did it too, but knew I was at the limit on my 250 AND my 350 SRW.
I would venture to say your rear axle weight is over the rear's GAWR like mine was

Again, it's not the total weight it's the carrying weight of the pin on the rear axle only that usually is the problem.

Unless you are the weight gestapo and made the wife put all her shoes in the back end of the rv
Old 02-09-2016, 09:41 AM   #20
Family Vacation Member

These are interesting perspectives. I have to admit, I am relying on the experience of each of you to make a determination. It is just difficult to justify $10K extra when I live I live in the Midwest and will be using the vehicle mostly for everyday travel to work, and around town, but summer weekends with a trailer in relatively flat lands, but 1 trip a year maybe over the mountains. When I met with a salesman he of course recommended the diesel but also stated you are going to want to hook up that trailer every now and then in the off season to tow something to keep that transmission working well. Is that BS?

-Tim

TV: 2015 F-150 XLT Crew Cab 3.5L Eco 4x4 Max Tow
TT: 2017 26BB
SB: Catalina 22
NoodlesWIU is offline   Reply With Quote