Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2015, 06:46 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Getting Fuel with Trailer attached

Good Morning Everybody,

The biggest challenge I seem to face while towing my 30' Sunset Trail, is to find a place to get fuel with the trailer attached.
I usually try to find a truck stop, but most of those have diesel only fuel at the pumps with easy access. Often the other side of the station is Gas but that's almost always very crowded. So, I usually find a corner of the truck lot, detach, get gas and the hook up again. It works, but it's a bit of a pain. Makes me wish I had a diesel truck!
I often also go on back roads and keep any eye out for stations with lots of room -- I have luck with this method often.
I'm wondering what others do?
Thanks,
mike
nachtmsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 06:53 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

We have often found this to be a problem as well. Most stations have their pumps facing the building, as this allows them to put more pumps in less space, but it makes it awkward for trailers. It was harder when we had the gas truck. Now that we have a diesel truck, it is somewhat easier as we can sometimes use the same pumps as the big rigs.

If you travel a certain route frequently, as we do on our way to Florida, a good idea is to make a list of the more "RV Friendly" gas stations. If you have a recent copy of the book "The Next Exit", apparently (I've been told) if a gas station is listed in red instead of black, it means it is RV friendly. We have not yet had a chance to test this out.

In the past, we have sometimes needed to back up the rig to get out.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 07:45 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Come to Texas, guess the stations are bigger also !

Kidding aside, we use 'regular' stations all the time and think we are a lil longer
as far as detaching to fill up - no way they would get my business !

We will use Pilot/Flying J truck stops if on fumes as we have the good sam discount card and their app, but even discounted they are usually much higher than the surrounding stations.

So we use the Gas Buddy app to shop around the area and go where our 100 gallon fill-up makes the most 'cents'

Just look ahead to make sure we have a pull through outlet and no height issues with the jeep attached as backing up WOULD require unhooking and not gonna do it .
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 09:37 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

We don't stop at single-station exits. Look for a larger interchange where you have more options. Scout them out as you can. Consider making a U-turn somewhere so you can approach the island on the proper side, using the lane towards the outside. It seems like pumping a couple of gallons into a can and walking back to your TV would be easier than unhitching. No system is perfect. On our last trip, I got penned-in the middle lane, and JUST made the turn to get out of there!
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 10:20 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Maybe I am a bit anal, but I actually guestimate fuel stops and use Google Maps to scout out available stations that are easy to access. Maybe not easy on longer trips, but it has worked well locally.

If you stop at a rest area and are contemplating fuel, you could use your smartphone to do something similar (street view lets you see the setups and have a plan).

I'll be honest - this is my single largest fear with towing - stopping and maneuvering for gas!
2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 10:55 AM   #6
Site Team

I have been in enough nasty situations getting fuel that I have grown quite callous about it.
Numerous times my wife has stopped traffic for me so I could either maneuver to get in or out. Some times she was right out on the road.
Had a jerk in CO. that had the driveway blocked and would come out and move. Best part was, he worked there!
That's where she went out in the street and stopped traffic. She's a champ.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 11:13 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Thanks everyone. I'm going to try that "Next Exit" book. Happy to hear I'm not the only one who thinks stopping for fuel can be difficult. Nice to hear your wife takes care of the traffic Lloyd, I'm going to suggest the same thing to mine.
Old 09-08-2015, 11:49 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

I personally have the most trouble navigating the pumps at rest areas on the Ohio Turnpike...worst setup for gas TVs....

Im with ewbldavis, I usually map it out for two reasons:
1. I'm always looking for the cheapest gas
2. My Ecoboost only has a 26 gallon tank and I burn through that pretty quick towing.

Kudos to Lloyd..using your wife as a human shield!

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 02:20 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

I use Gas Buddy to find best prices along my route and then use google maps satellite view to check out pump orientation and exits. Street view, when available really helps. Nine states and 6 k miles this summer and no issues. While I use diesel, truck stops rarely have the best prices, so I pull up to the gas pumps as well with my 34ft long 12+ ft tall Cruiser.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 02:22 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

I would trade up to a diesel 250 if only for the convenience of the pull thru pumps at the rest areas!

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 02:30 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioMark View Post

Kudos to Lloyd..using your wife as a human shield!
Somebody had to do it and she couldn't back it out into the street. So that only left one other job.
Like I said, she's a champ.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 04:44 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

I have never had a problem pulling into a gas station...if one looked iffy , I would just go to another one . start looking between 1/2 and 1/4 . I know that I have never had to unhook to fill up.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 05:05 PM   #13
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboytoo View Post
Come to Texas, guess the stations are bigger also !
I always try to fill up before I hitch up or just go to Buccee's, with 252 pumps of both gas and diesel at their New Braunfels location, I have never had a problem.
Did I mention 18 wheel trucks are not allowed.
2011 Ram 2500 4x4 6.7 CTD
4kids2dogs&RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 05:10 PM   #14
Full Time Camper

Funny u mention Bucees...
we needed fuel and stopped at the Madisonville , tx store on I-45 on the way back to DFW ...

Their fuel was almost 50 cents per gallon more than I paid on the way down there ! but I think it was some kind of grand opening because the parking lot was FULL !!! Craziest thing I've ever seen at GAS station
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 06:59 PM   #15
Site Team

Wow, this is a problem I never experienced. I've been lucky enough to pull into stations that are big enough to accommodate my 5th wheel. Of course, I'm sure this will happen sometime in the future.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 07:07 PM   #16
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboytoo View Post
Funny u mention Bucees...
we needed fuel and stopped at the Madisonville , tx store on I-45 on the way back to DFW ...

Their fuel was almost 50 cents per gallon more than I paid on the way down there ! but I think it was some kind of grand opening because the parking lot was FULL !!! Craziest thing I've ever seen at GAS station
Buc-ees just opened a new center on rt 20 in Terrell, TX this summer. Reg is $1.99. Most of the stations in the area have lowered prices at or below Buc-ees, 84 pumps and no 18 wheelers.
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 07:16 PM   #17
Family Vacation Member

I agree with you all I am getting better but my first trip was awful. On the way down first time driving this I scratched the side at a pump. On the way home looking at gas gage and thinking I better get gas saw a gas sign behind the trees and got off just to find out It didn't fit in there. I was backing it and the wife was sort of helping me or not???? but this guy walked over to me and said I am a truck driver mind if I move that for you. I said yes and my daughter was sleeping in the back seat and awoke to find some stranger driving the truck. Wish I had a camera for that one. I do like Flying Js they are so nice to deal with.

John and Julie
Dubois, PA
2015 Zinger ZT31SB- 2008 Toyota Tundra
johnwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 10:06 PM   #18
Weekend Camper

It's not me or the stops I find that worry me...its the hundred or so others pulling into the station from four different directions that scare me.

They know something I do not, however, as they firmly believe I can stop and spin on a dime!
Old 09-09-2015, 07:11 AM   #19
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwill View Post
I agree with you all I am getting better but my first trip was awful. On the way down first time driving this I scratched the side at a pump. On the way home looking at gas gage and thinking I better get gas saw a gas sign behind the trees and got off just to find out It didn't fit in there. I was backing it and the wife was sort of helping me or not???? but this guy walked over to me and said I am a truck driver mind if I move that for you. I said yes and my daughter was sleeping in the back seat and awoke to find some stranger driving the truck. Wish I had a camera for that one. I do like Flying Js they are so nice to deal with.
Reminds me of a trip this summer to a Jellystone Campground in Marion NC. We followed signs and found ourselves on a closed road. I backed it up about 100 yards with my wife guiding me. It was a great learning experience actually. Now when i need to back the rig into my driveway I don't sweat it at all.
Old 09-09-2015, 07:15 AM   #20
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kids2dogs&RV View Post
I always try to fill up before I hitch up or just go to Buccee's, with 252 pumps of both gas and diesel at their New Braunfels location, I have never had a problem.
Did I mention 18 wheel trucks are not allowed.
Never heard of Buccees -- just looked them up. Seems like they are only in Texas. If I find myself in that area, I'll have them on my list. Thanks!