Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2012, 12:42 AM   #1
New Camper

We are buying a Sunset Trails ST20CK. Dry weight is about 4000 lbs and hitch weight is about 400 lbs. The carrying capacity is however 3000 lbs. If fully loaded that trailer would be 7000 lbs? and the hitch weight 700 lbs? We are pulling with a 3500 Dodge Ram 4x4. We need a 6" drop on the hitch because of the height of our receiver and need to get a hitch with the proper maximum capacity. Also, our dealer says that we do not need sway control or a weight distriubtin hitch. I am sceptical about not needing these. Any experience/advice? Thanks. Yellowstone Bill
Old 09-08-2012, 01:25 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

You definitely want a weight distribution hitch with sway control. With hitch weights approaching or exceeding 500 lbs. and trailer lenths over twenty feet that is my recommendation.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 02:53 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

I would recomend a the Equ-i-lizer hitch system

http://www.rvwholesalers.com/catalog...h-14-2927.html

If you get the 1000/10,000 version would be all set when you up-grade.

And you will never have an issue with WD or sway.

2013 Sunset Trail 30RK

https://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c...ps1d70353a.jpg
Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 02:57 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Yellowstone Bill,
First off welcome to the forum!
Here's a few things I have learned as a rookie.
Not sure if you have double checked the actual weights. The best place to start is in the cupboard door as that is a good estimation from when it rolled off the factory floor as opposed to the brochure. Then you have to add on all the goodies so you may be surprised how much it actually weighs. I know we were! If you load up your trailer to say 7000 lbs that will give you a trailer tongue weight of 700 lbs which is 10% of your GVW .This is the very minimum recommendation for a stable tow. From my understanding closer to 12% would be better giving you a tongue weight of about 840 lbs. So you see the weight can add up. I am no expert but as dalemac337 has stated anythting over 500 lbs should have a WD hitch and over 20 feet should have some sway control. If nothing else it will just make things tow and ride a little smoother and make your first trip more enjoyable. Besides these 5 star Full Time Campers know their stuff!!

Home is where the hookup is.
2012 ST25RB Reserve tailgating a 2011 Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax
Roadie66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 03:54 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Send a message via MSN to tator447

Bill,
By going with the Equal-I-Zer you can change the drop settings to whatever you need to, that's one of the nice things about them. I have one and as a rookie myself I will tell you I don't want to know what the ride is like without one. They are a dream.

Welcome to the forum and good luck and happy camping.

Jim

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
2013 Crusier CF34SS GMC 3500 8.1L Dually
154 nights in 2013 - 4,370 miles
178 nights in 2014 - 5,082 miles
365 nights in 2015 - 6,040 miles
tator447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:39 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

Our previous trailer was a 34' Mountaineer and we had no problems towing it with a 2003 Ram 3500 with a standard weight distributing hitch. and no sway control. In my opinion the sway control is just wasted money for the truck/trailer combination you are looking at. It may provide some piece of mind but is not likely necessary.

Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:17 AM   #7
Site Team

You've got a lot of truck there for that size trailer. If it was me, I would take a chance on what the dealer told you and give it a try. When you pick it up at the dealers and head for home, you will probably be able to tell before very long whether or not he was right. If you need the WD hitch, you can always put it on.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:18 AM   #8
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucklehead
In my opinion the sway control is just wasted money for the truck/trailer combination you are looking at. It may provide some piece of mind but is not likely necessary.

That is until a US driven semi truck goes blowing past you at 80 mph and tries to push the trailer away from it, steering the truck into the semi, causing the driver to do steering corrections.

Or you get caught in the remnants of the hurricane that made it all the way up to Ohio a few years back.

Or simply driving US I-70 or I-80 westbound where the US gets real flat and windy.

Then they would have wished that they "wasted" some money for sway control.

It is the reality of where the trailer will be pulled at that will determine if sway control is needed.

Does someone need it for pulling 15 miles to the campground on local roads, probably not. It is out on the highways, on curvy mountain roads, exposure to winds both natural and pressure waves from trucks that indicate sway control in some form is a prudent investment.

Simply match it to the combination.

Edited by: drcook

2004.5 Chevy Duramax crew cab 4x4
2010 Crossroads Cruiser 30QBX
1991 K2500 4x4 being restored
drcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:39 PM   #9
Family Vacation Member

You didn't say what year your 3500 was or whether it is a dually. While an equalizer and sway control might be nice, I have towed two different trailers over the past twelve years with my Ram 2500 4X4 diesel without either.

I am surprised that your truck didn't come with a hitch from the factory. Most dealers order them with the tow package for the extra cooling, etc.

I did order mine, so I got everything I thought I might need for towing, except the 4.10 gears. I even ordered the HD transfer case with the PTO because it has a larger shaft diameter.

I have ~215,000 miles on my truck and ~1/4 of that was towing, both up and down the east coast and across to Wyoming, S. Dakota, etc. I've never had a problem with semis passing me or the winds crossing Wyoming. Of course, I've been towing trailers since the early '70s of one type or another.

That being said, it's up to you. I am not trying to talk you out of adding these items. Someone above said try taking it home without and see what you think. You can always add them.

2000 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins 4X4
rv-rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:31 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

I think here in Indiana a weight distributing hitch is required by law fortravel trailers over a certain size. I would vouch for the sway control for the strong cross winds that we experience here in the flat midwest.

2016 GMC Sierra Denali HD & Hensley Arrow
Indy_Smiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:21 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. And mine is that I would use the money that I would otherwise spend on a sway control setup elsewhere.
If there is any question, the suggestion to test haul it back from the dealer is a great idea. It's not like you cannot add the sway control later if you feel you need it.

Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:56 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

Most hitches are only rated to 500 lbs without WDH. You will be over 500 lbs with an empty trailer. Hitch weight should be between 13-15% of the loaded trailer weight. Any less and you will have too much weight in the rear of the trailer which can induce a sway problem. So yes, a WDH is needed. The TT being over your hitches ratings would set you up for a lawsuit and possibly not being covered by your insurance since you didn't follow manufacturers recommendations. Too much weight on the hitch can cause the hitch to fail and snap off.
As for sway control, the way I understand it is friction sway control is fine for under 26' but over 26' you should have an integrated sway control system (like reese dual cam or equal-i-zer). You are looking at a 23' TT. I would recommend some form of sway control. You can decide which one works for your budget. As for not using sway control, how comfortable are you trying to regain control of the TT once the sway initiates as a semi passes you or a strong sidewind hits you? The sway control doesn't prevent sway from happening but helps control it once it starts. Both the WDH and sway control are safety features.You decide what you are comfortable with for your family's safety. Good luck and enjoy your new TT.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 03:47 AM   #13
Site Team

Well, you have gotten advise from one end of the spectrum to the other, just as I figured you would. With all the conflicting info posted here, I guess it will be up to you to decide what will work and what's best for your situation. You will have to do some more home work.
Just don't let any guilt or scare posts be the influencing factor in your decision.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:18 AM   #14
Seasonal Camper

If I recall correctly, my dodge is rated for 1000lbs weight carrying and 1200lbs weight distrbuting hitch. Last year I towed a 39ft park model trailer and I estimated the tongue weight to be about 11-1200 lbs with NO WD hitch and it towed fine. I have to point out, conditions were good and I only went about 25 miles.
But, I too think you should try it out without it and see how it handles. A truck that size should carry the tongue weight fine.
Just my 0.02cents.

'11 Crossroads Cruiser CF325CK

https://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/...4/S4011042.jpg
happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:44 AM   #15
Family Vacation Member

was no guilt or scare posts on my part.

1. I got caught in the hurricane. I was sure glad I had sway control and equalizer hitch.

2. I have been on I-80 in Nebraska with semi's going by doing 80 mph. The pressure wave is pretty good on that. No exaggeration or scare post there.

3. I have pulled in the mountains and felt the wind.

Our sway control is the simple friction one. I have seen them priced from 40.00 and above. The friction ones work pretty decent.

As I said, match it to the application and what the combination is actually going to be used for.

People need to read and do some research and in cases that really matter, only use these forums as thought triggers and for their entertainment value. They are ok for DIY's, b*tchn', giving Kudos and expressing thanks in public, but in subjects that really matter you have to take them with a grain of salt.

One thing I have learned is from the different forums is don't take legal advise, don't take money advise and never ever trust someone's opinion that can cost you your life or someone else's.

2004.5 Chevy Duramax crew cab 4x4
2010 Crossroads Cruiser 30QBX
1991 K2500 4x4 being restored
drcook is offline   Reply With Quote