Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-27-2014, 07:15 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member
 
Kingfish58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: La.
Posts: 197
Half ton vehicle capacity?

I have a 2012 Tundra Crewmax with a tow rating of 9900lbs and cargo capacity of 1600lbs.

Given this, I am much more concerned about exceeding the capacity of the truck cargo capacity rather than what it can tow, since I am not considering any trailer over 7500 lbs GVWR. If I understand correctly, tongue weight must be added to the vehicle capacity, so:
800lbs tongue weight + 800lbs occupants, gas, etc. and I'm at capacity. Is this correct?

Also, my understanding is that a weight dist hitch reduces tongue weight by around 20%-how is this measured?

What are you folks towing with a Tundra or other half tons doing? Taking two vehicles for 4 campers?
Kingfish58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:25 AM   #2
Full Time Camper
 
Tim D's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: So IL
Posts: 1,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfish58 View Post
I have a 2012 Tundra Crewmax with a tow rating of 9900lbs and cargo capacity of 1600lbs.

Given this, I am much more concerned about exceeding the capacity of the truck cargo capacity rather than what it can tow, since I am not considering any trailer over 7500 lbs GVWR. If I understand correctly, tongue weight must be added to the vehicle capacity, so:
800lbs tongue weight + 800lbs occupants, gas, etc. and I'm at capacity. Is this correct?

Also, my understanding is that a weight dist hitch reduces tongue weight by around 20%-how is this measured?

What are you folks towing with a Tundra or other half tons doing? Taking two vehicles for 4 campers?
You are correct and this is where the problems occur towing with a "half ton". As long as you don't exceed either weight you can do it.

WDH helps take some of the weight off the rear by "distributing" some of it to the front end of your tow vehicle as well as back to the trailer axles.

You will be at cap quick.
__________________

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:49 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location:
Posts: 139
The published max tow ratings are irrelevant for campers. If you are towing a large boat or equipment you may be able the reach that limit without exceeding the trucks payload rating but not with a travel trailer. The weight distribution does take weight off the rear axle but adds it to the front (so that is still considered payload) and back to the TT which gives some wiggle room. You also have to consider the +-100 weight of the WD hitch itself that has to be included as well.
__________________
2011 Sunset Trail 29ss Reserve

2014 F350 6.7 PSD
8iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 05:45 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member
 
MEHoffman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: PA
Posts: 190
I am pulling a SunSet Trail 30RE with my 2012 Tundra double cab, 4WD, 5.7, with no problems. I using a E2 wd hitch with 4 point sway control and have airbags on the rear. I run ~40 psi in the bags and that gives me the stiffer suspension feel that I prefer. BTW I average 10 mpg towing.
__________________
~Mike & Kim~
NW Pennsylvania

2014 Rockwood Windjammer 3008W Diamond
2012 Toyota Tundra, 5.7L
MEHoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 04:46 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: PA
Posts: 177
I have a 2008 Tundra and I pull a 310SB pulls fine. I do want to put airbags on the rear. that may help a bit but I am only getting 8.7 MPG If I get it tuned up it should do a bit better.
johnwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 08:05 PM   #6
Full Time Camper
 
OhioMark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: United states of america
Posts: 1,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8iron View Post
The published max tow ratings are irrelevant for campers. If you are towing a large boat or equipment you may be able the reach that limit without exceeding the trucks payload rating but not with a travel trailer. The weight distribution does take weight off the rear axle but adds it to the front (so that is still considered payload) and back to the TT which gives some wiggle room. You also have to consider the +-100 weight of the WD hitch itself that has to be included as well.
8iron,

Your first sentence threw me at first, but I think I get the gist of what your saying. You're stating that with a travel trailer you will always max your payload before hitting tow max, right?

I'm not totally onboard with that but in the context of 1/2 ton capabilities I do agree that looking at tow capacity without accounting for tongue and payload max spells trouble.
__________________

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 11:19 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location:
Posts: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioMark View Post
8iron,

Your first sentence threw me at first, but I think I get the gist of what your saying. You're stating that with a travel trailer you will always max your payload before hitting tow max, right?

I'm not totally onboard with that but in the context of 1/2 ton capabilities I do agree that looking at tow capacity without accounting for tongue and payload max spells trouble.
The max tow ratings for vehicles do not exclusively refer to travel trailers. They can be flat deck car/equipment haulers, boats, utility trailers etc. We tend to assume that the tow ratings refer to our rv trailers but that is not the case.
__________________
2011 Sunset Trail 29ss Reserve

2014 F350 6.7 PSD
8iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 04:45 AM   #8
Full Time Camper
 
OhioMark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: United states of america
Posts: 1,540
Kingfish58,

I've posted this before, but I attach the link here

http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-...eight-tt.shtml

It a great tool to calculate out your towing based on your vehicle, passengers, stuff, etc..
__________________

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Crossroads RV or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.