Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2012, 07:35 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

We have just learned about Hensley hitches. Does anyone out there use one, and does it really make a difference? We are towing our 24' Sunset Trail with a Chevy Silverado, and we tow a lot, like 30k-40k a year. Any insight or advice?

Thank you!
runriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 07:58 AM   #2
Site Team

I don't have a tt, but if I did and it was of substantial size that would be the hitch of choice for me. I had a friend who was full timing and towed a huge airstream. He had the Hensley and said it was just like a string back there. They are quite expensive but if a person tows a lot and has trouble with other hitches, I think they are worth the price.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:19 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

They are really expensive and considered top of the line in hitches. They have a stinger and hook up differently that what you are used to from what I understand. Haven't used it (can't afford it) but I hear that it really increases your stability in a marginal towing experience.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:48 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

The other one that you need to look at is the pro pride

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 12:03 PM   #5
Pnr
Family Vacation Member

I use a hensley to pull a sunset trail 30re. It is amazing the difference it makes. Most hitches try to control sway after it starts, Hensley does not let sway start. That's a big difference.

It controls the trailer in crosswinds and uneven road surfaces. No more white knuckles.

Paul
Pnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:15 AM   #6
New Camper

I ran Hensley Mfg as their vice president for 10 years before starting ProPride 5 years ago.

If you have any questions about pivot point projection hitches just let me know.

Projecting the pivot point to near the rear axle of the tow vehicle makes all the difference in the world for the stability of a travel trailer. If you eliminate the leverage the trailer has on the tow vehicle you will eliminate trailer sway.

-

Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:51 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

If I'm reading this correctly then the stability of the BP trailer approaches the stability of a 5th wheel since the 5th wheel pivot point is at the rear axle. Interesting.

I know after buying and pulling a 5th wheel you would be hard pressed to make me buy another BP.

Just thinking out loud.
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:05 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

my wife and I work in a campground the last ten years and meet everyone who camps here. Had a gentleman who has since passed that used a Hensley. Bob had an accident at a turnpike bridge where traffic was forming one lane and a semi came in along side him and sethim offto fishtailing and put him into a roll over of both vehicle and trailer. Bob had camped all his life but now considered never camping again. He found out about a hensley and purchased one and went back to camping. Said if it weren't for the hensley he was finished. He would have made a mint selling them the weay he talked them up. Had several more units come in with the hitch and testimonials are enough evidence of their safety.
Walkingstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:28 AM   #9
Family Vacation Member

We have had one for 12 years. Would not be without it.

2009 CT31RL

2016 Chevrolet 2500HD High Country

Hensley Hitch
ajlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:09 PM   #10
New Camper

Nice but really expensive. You can check this site out, thinking of getting me one from them as it is recommended by a friend. Their prices iscompetitiveand relatively cheap.
http://www.hitchanything.com/

Old 06-15-2012, 09:02 AM   #11
Seasonal Camper

My friend likes his. My only caution is do not get one to correct a sway or handling problem. Fix the problems first and use the Hensley to help when you are forced into unusual towing situations such as dodging a deer or some idiot that has cut you off.

rcflyer is offline   Reply With Quote