Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2012, 01:13 PM   #21
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyb
One came on my used Ford 250 Super Duty, had the dealer take it off as we pull a 5ver. Thought I'd sell it, wrong, ended selling it for scrap. What a waste, sells for closed to 3 grand new and made not 20 min. from me.
How could it have been on your Ford? There's only a draw bar that connects your receiver to the hitch which is always mounted to the trailer. Either way, you should have sold it back to Hensley. That's howthey find remanufactured hitches to sell.

We love ours.

Edited by: Indy_Smiths

2016 GMC Sierra Denali HD & Hensley Arrow
Indy_Smiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:30 PM   #22
Weekend Camper

I can give you a little feedback on the Equal-i-zer.

For the last 4.5 years I have used the Equal-i-zer with a 1500 Chevy pulling my 2008 Rockwood Roo, about 5000 pounds with zero issues. I have recently traded the Chevy for 150 Ford Ecobost and still have no issues.
Last week I traded the Roo for Sunset Trails 30RK (6,800 pounds) but have not picked it up yet.

My father also has a 150 Ecoboost and pulls a 32 foot VCross. 8000 pounds. He was having sway issues with his hitch, sorry can't remember the make. He switched to the Equal-i-zer and has been 100% happy.

In 08 I found the cheapest place to get the Equal-i-zer was through RV Wholesaler. I paid $399.00 then for the 1000,10,000.

I'm going to use this same hitch with the new CR 30RK.

Hope this helps.

Will

2013 Sunset Trail 30RK

https://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c...ps1d70353a.jpg
Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:34 PM   #23
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadie66
ajlight,
Hensley got back to me right away and informed me that the hitch I was looking at was over 20 years old and would not qualify for any warranty.For another 9 hun I could get a full rebuilt hitch with everything for my unit, lifetime warranty, and the buy back option so I passed on the used one. They also said that I could get the chain style torsion bars and the would knock 3 hun off the rebuild price. 1300 seemed a little high for a 20 year old hitch.

We bought a remanufacturedHensley Arrowback in July.I opted for the snack-up chains instead of the jacksbecause it saved me $300.And, you said it...lifetime warranty andthey'll buy it back from you if you ever stop towing or upgrade! How can you go wrong with that?

From our perspective, it is everything they say it is. We're glad we spent the extra money. Once you learn the procedure, hooking up is a snap.I can do it by myself.Forget trying to positionyour ball undera tongue. If you get the draw bar lined up with the hole on the hitch, just back right in to it and go back and engage the cam locks and pins. If you're off a little, the hitch moves side to side.Tighten the sway bars and snap up the tension bars. Done.

You won't be sorry.

Old 09-05-2012, 01:47 PM   #24
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will

...Last week I traded the Roo for Sunset Trails 30RK (6,800 pounds) but have not picked it up yet.

Will

Good choice on the 30RK. We love ours. Floor plan is ideal for our purposes and the overall weight distribution makes it tow great...with the Hensley of course!

Congrats.

Old 09-05-2012, 01:55 PM   #25
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy_Smiths

Quote:

...Last week I traded the Roo for Sunset Trails 30RK (6,800 pounds) but have not picked it up yet.

Will

Good choice on the 30RK. We love ours. Floor plan is ideal for our purposes and the overall weight distribution makes it tow great...with the Hensley of course!

Congrats.
Thanks, any suggestions on the 30RK would be great. One thing I already don't care for is the power cord set up. That big door just looks like a problem.

2013 Sunset Trail 30RK

Old 09-05-2012, 02:12 PM   #26
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Thanks, any suggestions on the 30RK would be great. One thing I already don't care for is the power cord set up. That big door just looks like a problem.

I guess I'm not sure what you mean by "big door". Our power cord tucks in to the plastic door on the back corner. Granted, the door isn't very robust but it hasn't been an issue. As with everything, I'm careful with it.

One thing we hadn't expected until we had our walk through was that there are 2 gray water tanks. One is for the kitchen and the other gray & black for the bathroom. I've finally come up with a hose solution with a 'Y' connector to get it all connected at the same time.

One other thing we did is buy a 2" memory foam pad for the mattress (Costco). The regular mattress is very hard. Memory foam made the difference.

If you're getting a 2013, it should come with a wireless remotetoo.You can use it tocontrol the awning, jacks, and slideout. It's nice for watchingslideout clearance if you can't see from inside.

Old 09-05-2012, 02:34 PM   #27
Weekend Camper

Yep, that plastic door for the power cord just seems cheep. Do you have to leave the door open when the cords out?

I didn't know about the second grew water tank myself.

Yes, i love remotes. I went from all manual to all powered. Life is good.

How big of a TV will fit the bedroom?

2013 Sunset Trail 30RK

Old 09-06-2012, 04:43 AM   #28
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadie66
avvidclif

Did the friction sway controls actually work for you? I have read that with a trailer my size I would need 2 of them. I have also read(I've been doing alot of reading lately) that you can't back up with the friction bars connected? Also that they should be disconnected in any inclamate driving conditions?

Any light you can shed on this is appreciated as I am open to suggestions. Still don't know about drilling into the frame but......

I used them on a 25' Airstream and a 25'4 Winds. The Airstream was about 6k and the other 5.5k loaded. It made a world of difference. I had one friction type and never disconnected it to back or nor loosened it in inclement weather. The trailer end was welded to the frame on the Airstream and bolted on by the dealer on the 4 Winds(part of me buying it). The other end is part of the WD hitch.
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:19 AM   #29
Weekend Camper

I also use anEqual-i-zer hitch on my st29b and have never had any sway at all so how could a $3000 hitch be worth it?

2010 ST29QB

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...in/TVsetup.jpg

gsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:13 AM   #30
Weekend Camper

Trust me, the hitch was hooked on the frame and a half circle angle iron that moved 180 degrees run from that. Called the company and they didn't want it, thus scrapped it. I may have misspoked too, it may have been a Reese hitch?
Old 09-06-2012, 11:36 AM   #31
Pnr
Family Vacation Member

Sounds like you had a pullright hitch.

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyb
Trust me, the hitch was hooked on the frame and a half circle angle iron that moved 180 degrees run from that. Called the company and they didn't want it, thus scrapped it. I may have misspoked too, it may have been a Reese hitch?
Pnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:20 PM   #32
Weekend Camper

Quote:

Yep, that plastic door for the power cord just seems cheep. Do you have to leave the door open when the cords out?

I didn't know about the second grew water tank myself.

Yes, i love remotes. I went from all manual to all powered. Life is good.

How big of a TV will fit the bedroom?

No, you don't have to leave the door open. It has a little cutout door that accomodates the cord.

The bedroomshould takethe average19" LCD. You have basically 19" of width from the wall to theedge of the bathroom door.

Old 09-08-2012, 02:56 AM   #33
Weekend Camper

Thanks Indy

2013 Sunset Trail 30RK