Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2011, 06:57 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Last Sunday at the RV show in Minneapolis my wife and I bought our very first 5er, a Cruiser CF325CK. This has been a long time in the making and now we have some more decisions to make ie. which hitch to put in the truck. We would like to reduce chucking to a minimum. We have a long box F350. Ideally I'd like to be able to take the hitch out and have a flat truck bed. Not sure that is a big issue since I think I could put a piece of plywood or two in the bed and cut out where the rails are and still end up with essentially a flat bed. Bottom line, we would rather spend a little more and really enjoy this hitch than not quite enough and be reminded of that every time we use it.

I'm reading about air ride hitches. Sounds like they reduce chucking significantly. Is there any other kind of hitch that reduces chucking? What about the kingpin? I've read about MorRyde and it sounds like this would reduce chucking too. Are both necessary?We really eager to hear the opinions of veteran 5er people. We need to make this decision soon. So please tell us about your experiences and opinions.

Thank you inadvance for your time.
klr650goldwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:55 PM   #2
Family Vacation Member

I use the Trailersaver air ride hitch with our 36' fiver. It really helps the ride but it is almost 300 pounds which complicates the removal process. The air ride pin box are supposed to do the same for the ride but I have no experience with that, only what I have heard. I would not tow without some type or air system!
carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:13 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78

For minimal expense if you want to rid yourself of chucking you can use a standard 5th wheel hitch and install a MorRyde pinbox. Thepinbox is not "air" ride equipped but uses a buffer material to allow forward/aft movement as driving. Last time I checked online the MorRyde and Demco (SP?) system were several hundred dollars but have very positive reviews. Trailair makes a true air pinbox but the prices rise north of a thousand dollars quickly.

Congrats on your new camper!Edited by: mwebber78
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:42 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

I replaced the original pinbox with a glyde ride. What a difference. The ride home from the dealer was all I needed to know I had to get rid of the chucking. The only times I get the clunk now is on a hard stop or fast start. I also have a 4 way pivoting Reese hitch which I believe helps as well. Congrats on the new Cruiser.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:10 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

The B&W hitch will leave your bed empty when you are not useing the 5th. Just about all others will leave you with the rails. the B&W takes the under bed kit that is around $400 then the 5th conpaion that is another $800 then you have to intall.

I allready have the rails so I just upgraded to a Curt Q5 5th wheel hitch and I have the trail air, air ride pinbox and they say this combo works well. i have not yet used the Q5 hitch but it was good with my hidden hitch so im sure the Q5 will even be better. the Q5 best price is at Amazon.com
diesel dave 99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:39 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

I replayed my pinbox with the 5th airborne hitch and it makes a big difference but these roads are getting real bad. I also have the equaflex on the trailer. My wife likes it alot better. Didn't want that heavy air hitch in the truck. You can adjust the air for your trailer or the ride. And the folks at 5th airborne was great to work with.

2012 Cruiser CF335SS
cruzinfools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:21 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

The Reese Elite / Signature Series also mounts underneath the bed leaving you with 4 bed flat holes for mounting the hitch. To protect the mounts and sexy the bed up you just insert 4 rubberize covers and your done.

Here's some info, their pricing seems high as I paid about $1200 installed and that was with them raising bed, because I lost the spare tire key. A whole other story on the spare key.

http://www.hitchestogo.com/fifth%20w...te_series.html

The BIL has an above bed rail mounts and it's a real PIA to clean if you carry a load of mulch, dirt, etc.

Edited by: salda01

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 01:36 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

We have stayed with the OEM pin box and use a Reese 16K slider and have not had any issues with bucking or chucking. We also have a long box and i suspect that it is the reason.
I would suggest staying with a typical hitch (much lighter and easier to manhandle in and out of the truck) and trying with the OEM pin box to see if you have an issue before spending additional money on an aftermarket pin box.

Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:17 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

http://tweetys.com/trailairfifthtrig...lpinboxes.aspx

I am cosidering adding this to our fuzion. I have only found this pin box at tweety's only. No mention of it at the trail-air site. But its been a few weeks since I looked. Looks like this pin box covers just about all movement possibilities.
ntrsandman is offline   Reply With Quote