Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2013, 09:59 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

I am sure this topic has come up, I just could not find it. I was considering a dual cam WDH but a friend showed me the Anderson Hitch. Anyone have any experience with either or suggestions? I have a ST270BH and will tow it with a Ram 1500 5.7 V8

Thanks

Old 11-04-2013, 11:00 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

I have the Reese dual cam and it has served me well.the Anderson hitch is a newer hitch. You might get more responses about it on the rv.net forumsEdited by: anaro

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 01:57 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

This is a very popular topic. We have a 1000# roundbar EaZLift from our previous TT. It had the old-school sway bar (friction bar that mounted to small "hitches") and it worked well with our 5000# 28ft trailer.

We could buy new bars and use the same setup, but I think a dual cam like Anaro'swould be better. I am seriously looking at the new Husky Centerline, but it is pricey. We feel a dual cam like the Reeseor friction WD like the Huskywould be better than the old setup because our new trailer is 34-ft. long, and personally feel it can make a difference at that length.

Many have the Hensley - which is very pricey, but those who have it swear by it.

I assume you have a round bar/friction sway like ours from the dealer you bought the trailer from. Your best bet is to look at your setup and read up on it a bit. You will pretty much have to weigh in everyones thoughts and experience with how your setup tows and decide what is the best option for YOUR comfort and how much you decide you want to spend without being "cheap".

2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 01:09 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

I would familiarize yourself with these stickies from rv.net

how wdh works

wdh set upEdited by: anaro

2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

Old 11-05-2013, 10:45 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

We been using the Centerline Hitch from Husky and its been flawless and easy to use.

http://www.huskytow.com/product/husk...towing-system/

Duey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:20 PM   #6
Seasonal Camper

I had the Reese Dual-Cam system on my 32 ft. TT before we got the 5er. I towed coast to coast with it, over 60,000 miles and never had a problem, even in high cross winds. It's a tough hitch to install and set correctly, but once you have it is worth the effort. The biggest thing to remember is NEVER lubricate the cams. Even though they grind and make noise when turning it is the friction that provides the sway control.
The bunk bedroom is for Haley!

Crossing the Roads with The Mason-Dixon Bunch
RKamperRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 02:11 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duey
We been using the Centerline Hitch from Husky and its been flawless and easy to use.

http://www.huskytow.com/product/husk...towing-system/

Good to see some feedback on this one!
2014 Zinger 32QB
Old 11-11-2013, 06:33 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

I currently use a simple WD hitch made by Curt and plan on upgrading to something with integrated sway control before the Spring camping season. The Curt was purchased for my old Hi-Lo so sway wasn't a consideration.</span>

Resse Dual Cam and Equalizer were my top contenders. I had considered a Blue Ox but found that they don't make a model without the standard shank. As my setup requires a significant drop, I felt it unnecessary to spend extra money on a standard shank that won't be used. Both Reese and Equalizer can be purchased shankless.The AH requires a special grooved shank, however the price with the 8" drop shank is equivalent to the shankless Reese hitch.

I have done extensive research into this Andersen hitch since reading this thread a few days ago. From my reading, the AH seems to not be able to distribute as much weight as a traditional bar style WD system. This seems to be an issue with heavier (800lb+ TW) trailers or smaller SUVs with a loose rear suspension.Having said that, I don't think my relatively light (550lb) tongue weight and overkill TV would experience this problem.

All of the reviews I have read on the AH state the sway control has been great. Come spring time, I will probably be purchasing the Andersen.</span>
2012: 10 Nights & 254 Miles

Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:45 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Antares,

Your Z-1 is the same plan as our 2012 Zinger. If my 2-cents is worth anything:

Does your current Curt setup have a sway bar? If not, a cost effective solution may be to simply add the friction bar (like $100 at CW) to your current hitch. I am assuming the bars are adequate for the Z-1.

The theory behind this is: We loved the layout of the 27BH trailer, but trust me when I say you WILL at some point purchase a larger unit with a slide out. If your current hitch works and you only need the addition of sway control, then save your Benjamin's.

You may be better off waiting a few years until you upgrade trailers so you don't have to buy yet another WD hitch, which may happen if you can't get an Andersen with heavier bars. Other option is to purchase a Reese or Equalizer. You can then upgrade bars if necessary when the time requires.
2014 Zinger 32QB
Old 11-12-2013, 01:34 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

After having a hi-lo, one of our major requirements in a TT is that the only thing that moves should be the wheels and doors. We don't want a lift or slide system to break down when we are on a schedule to get on the road. The 251 suits us well, and I plan on having it another 9 years.

I would love to know what Type of TT I will have after that. After that much use I will probably retire the new hitch at that time as well.

Old 11-12-2013, 02:12 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

Gotcha...

Bummer you seem to have had issues with your Hi-Lo. I always thought those were neat...but never really wanted one.
2014 Zinger 32QB
Old 11-12-2013, 02:04 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

Where are using the Blue Ox and so far have not had any issues. It's very easy to hook up and we have had no tail wagging on our trips. Now I did see a Hensley Hitch a few weeks ago and the guy swore by it. I've looked around and have heard nothing but good things. It is pricey but if you have ever had trailer sway you don't care what it cost to have peice of mind.

Bert, Cathy, Kylie & Kaitlin
2014 SunsetTrail Reserve 32BH
2009 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4X4 6.6L Duramax
YouTube LetsRV Instagram LetsRV_
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:59 PM   #13
Family Vacation Member

I had the eazlift with sway control on my setup and I couldn't go past 30 mph in calm conditions without feeling the trailer swaying uncontrollably behind me. I had to get the HA which is soooo overpriced.... I could have went on a second vacation for that money but couldn't risk my family with that crappy eazlift....
Z1 owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:47 PM   #14
Full Time Camper

When we went to our first 30+ foot TT I too went with a nice hitch - the propride....

NO sway even for an over matched tow vehicle... towed it 3 times I think before we changed rv's and tow vehicles...

If you are in the DFW area, that propride is still shiny in my garage

johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:26 AM   #15
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken07734 View Post
I had the eazlift with sway control on my setup and I couldn't go past 30 mph in calm conditions without feeling the trailer swaying uncontrollably behind me. I had to get the HA which is soooo overpriced.... I could have went on a second vacation for that money but couldn't risk my family with that crappy eazlift....
Ken,

Seeing how we have pretty much the same rigs, I find it hard to believe that you really had as bad sway as you describe. Perhaps you should have just disconnected the eazlift to see if it was introducing an overcompensation effect?

Going straight to HA is overkill in my opinion. Integrated sway control is only a luxury for me. Without it I have towed 3 hours straight in high winds and the sway was only mildly annoying.

Old 11-18-2013, 12:14 PM   #16
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert View Post
...using the Blue Ox and so far have not had any issues.
X2 We have not had any sway and it is rather simple to use. Of course, I say that after we had some difficulties at first and then read the directions! Oops!
2013 Zinger 30KB - Sold
CrossroadsRV Rally 2013 & 2014 - Northeast Crossroads Rally 2014 - Mason-Dixon Rally 2014
BODERRVING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:57 PM   #17
Full Time Camper

Antares and Ken - I used to tow my 30 ft zinger that is 7000 lbs loaded with an 04 armada. The Reese dual cam helped but it still was no fun towing. I had a lot of tail wagging the dog and felt every car, truck and SUV that passed me. Final straw was not having enough TV to control the tt coming down a mountain. I finally gave up on the setup and got the truck in my sig. I can tell you that early on I thought it was sway but was really more tail wagging the dog. Ken if you had true sway then something was wrong, usually in how it is loaded. too much weight in the rear and not enough on the tongue will cause sway. My problem was I was way over on payload with my setup. oh and I was fighting yo get it up to 55 mph on the highways, it took every bit of my 20 yrs experience towing horse trailers to keep that setup on the road. Now I have fingertip towing and love it.

2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS