Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2018, 12:01 PM   #1
Seasonal Camper

How level?

I just upgraded to a 2018 F250 from my old workhorse '06 F350 dually now that I have a smaller 5th wheel. I added a Reese adapter for the modern Ford underbed 5th wheel attachment so I could retain my Trailer Saver hitch. Between the height of the new truck bed (and sides) and the inch or two from the Reese adapter, I was terrified that the 5th wheel would be terribly out of level and hoped there would be enough adjustment to fix it.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that, once hooked up, the unit is only 1/3rd of a bubble off level. (head high, about a half inch in two feet off level).

Is this close enough to run the refrigerator when parked hooked to the truck? I have heard that being half a bubble off is OK since modern RV refrigerators are more tolerant than the old ones but don't know if it is true. Also, if you are part of a bubble off side to side as well, is it cumulative?

My hitch is adjustable in what looks to be 1 to 1 1/2" increments so if I dropped it one set of holes, it appears I would be nose down. It would be awfully nice to just leave it alone but I don't want to ruin my refrigerator or AC. What do you think?
Old 04-18-2018, 12:52 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Carry 4- 2 x 6's about 18" long and drive the 5th up on them to make level.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 01:50 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormseeker View Post
I just upgraded to a 2018 F250 from my old workhorse '06 F350 dually now that I have a smaller 5th wheel. I added a Reese adapter for the modern Ford underbed 5th wheel attachment so I could retain my Trailer Saver hitch. Between the height of the new truck bed (and sides) and the inch or two from the Reese adapter, I was terrified that the 5th wheel would be terribly out of level and hoped there would be enough adjustment to fix it.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that, once hooked up, the unit is only 1/3rd of a bubble off level. (head high, about a half inch in two feet off level).

Is this close enough to run the refrigerator when parked hooked to the truck? I have heard that being half a bubble off is OK since modern RV refrigerators are more tolerant than the old ones but don't know if it is true. Also, if you are part of a bubble off side to side as well, is it cumulative?

My hitch is adjustable in what looks to be 1 to 1 1/2" increments so if I dropped it one set of holes, it appears I would be nose down. It would be awfully nice to just leave it alone but I don't want to ruin my refrigerator or AC. What do you think?
Do you have an adjustment on the pin box also that may get you closer to level?
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 06:27 AM   #4
Site Team

I like to run my rig as close to level as I can get it. (front to back)
If you have adjustment on the hitch and/or the kingpin that would help to accomplish that, it might be well worth it to spend the time to get it right.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 07:17 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper

never crossed my dropping neced to mess with t me close the tailhe pin box

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Carry 4- 2 x 6's about 18" long and drive the 5th up on them to make level.
That's an elegant and brilliant solution that never crossed my mind. Duh!!!

I probably will make some adjustments but am still interested in knowing "how level is level enough."

My real concern is that after all the hassle of dropping an 80 pound hitch head down one bolt hole, I'll then be too low in the front. I don't think I need to mess with the pin box, which seems like a nightmare waiting to happen, although it would let me close the tailgate a little sooner and let me turn a little wider without the pin box hitting the bed rails.
Old 04-19-2018, 07:48 AM   #6
Site Team

One more thing to remember is as you lower the nose of the trailer to level it be sure to check the clearance between the top of the bed and the bottom of the trailer.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 08:05 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

clearance

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagst1 View Post
One more thing to remember is as you lower the nose of the trailer to level it be sure to check the clearance between the top of the bed and the bottom of the trailer.
Very true and one of my original concerns. Fortunately I currently have 8" between the bed rails and the trailer underside so I have a little wiggle room.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:37 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:

I probably will make some adjustments but am still interested in knowing "how level is level enough."

My real concern is that after all the hassle of dropping an 80 pound hitch head down one bolt hole, I'll then be too low in the front. I don't think I need to mess with the pin box, which seems like a nightmare waiting to happen, although it would let me close the tailgate a little sooner and let me turn a little wider without the pin box hitting the bed rails.

Level enough for me is as level as I can get it front to back when hooked up and sitting on level ground. Also in my opinion, the place to measure for that is off the bottom of the frame. In the very front, and the very rear. Measure from the bottom of the frame to the ground.
Mine is within 1/2 in.

There is different ways to get the issue of the 80# hitch head taken care of. If you feel it's more weight then you care to handle, is it a possibility to have someone help you with it?
If not, then you might consider letting a tech do the work and just figure it's part of the cost of owning a 5th wheel.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 10:23 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

Quote:

I don't have a fifth wheel, but I do know that if you are saying you are half an inch out in a 2' level and you were to take the distance from your King pin back to the axles of the trailer as your fulcrum (maybe 20'?) that is essentially ten of the 2' levels. So you are more like 4-5" out of level at the front. Sounds like you need to drop the front down a couple holes to me.

.... Everyday is a good day for Camping....
Poppabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 11:58 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

One more quick thought. You could always measure from the ground to the underside of the trailer at the hitch while it's hooked up to your truck. Then unhook from the truck and adjust the landing gear until its level (or a little nose high to account for squat once hooked up on your suspension) and re measure up at the front and see what the difference is. That would tell you how much you would need to drop the hitch without messing with the hitch itself.

.... Everyday is a good day for Camping....
Poppabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 01:08 PM   #11
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppabear View Post
One more quick thought. You could always measure from the ground to the underside of the trailer at the hitch while it's hooked up to your truck. Then unhook from the truck and adjust the landing gear until its level (or a little nose high to account for squat once hooked up on your suspension) and re measure up at the front and see what the difference is. That would tell you how much you would need to drop the hitch without messing with the hitch itself.
That's another good idea although I think it may be difficult to get an accurate measurement, for me at least. As far as level, I've always measured off the refrigerator itself since that's the only thing I really care about being level. I'm sure I can shift the hitch head with blocks and levers---I just don't want to. I've never gotten what I considered a definitive definition of "level enough" so like y'all, I have striven for as level as I could get.

I'm parked in a bad, or rather extremely inconvenient, position at the moment as far as hooking/unhooking/shifting truck or 5th wheel around so may have to just wait until I get back home. Then I might try adding 2 by's under each wheel to see what makes level and then (sigh) adjust the hitch head accordingly.
Old 04-19-2018, 01:54 PM   #12
Site Team

In regards to the level part of your question. When towing as level as you can get but a little off one way or another is ok. When parked and hooked to your truck it depends on for how long. While traveling and to stop for lunch would not hurt just try to find as level spot as you can. If you are going to stay over night I would level it side to side and front to back.
My trailer sits a little high in the front and I am looking at a way to raise the trailer for more room between the top of the bed and the bottom of the overhang. My hitch and kingpin are adjusted as far as i can go and I still need a little more room. Looking at the Lippert Correct Track.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 06:06 AM   #13
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagst1 View Post
In regards to the level part of your question. When towing as level as you can get but a little off one way or another is ok. When parked and hooked to your truck it depends on for how long. While traveling and to stop for lunch would not hurt just try to find as level spot as you can. If you are going to stay over night I would level it side to side and front to back.
My trailer sits a little high in the front and I am looking at a way to raise the trailer for more room between the top of the bed and the bottom of the overhang. My hitch and kingpin are adjusted as far as i can go and I still need a little more room. Looking at the Lippert Correct Track.
I see the Correct Track raises the trailer 2 inches, which would be a big help. I have something with yellow 8 sided adjusting plates on the suspension from the factory so suspect I already have one and the two inches. That's probably why I'm as close as I am to level on the new truck.

The consensus seems to be "level enough" is "as level as you can get it," so I'll just go ahead and drop the hitch head a little, I guess, since I do have room over the bed rails. Maybe call Etrailer to discuss how far to go down in addition to measuring it myself since I'd like to only do it once.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:24 AM   #14
Seasonal Camper

Thanks to all for some great thought provoking ideas. I'm still considering but will certainly be lowering the hitch some. I appreciate all the advice.