Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2016, 09:27 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Ins & Outs of weighing the full rig

Okay, so we just got both our truck and 5er last falls. Took a couple weekend jaunts to try it out. We never took the rig to get weighed as we were quite confident that we were under weight for all our specs (tanks were completely empty, minimal gear for everyone, etc). This year we are looking at some longer hauls in colder weather (aka more gear for all 5 of us) and have gotten most of our gear into the trailer that will remain permanently stored there for trips (cookware, chairs, leveling blocks, etc).

I'm willing to bet this information is somewhere on these forums already, I'm just having trouble locating it.

What should we be weighing and what specs do we compare that against for tow vehicle and trailer?
COCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 02:28 PM   #2
Weekend Camper

In my research today I came across this group. My luck they're going to be in our area early June, so I think we're going to get an appointment with them and get all kinds of weights and information. Anyone ever work with them before?

Weighing Process and Forms
Old 05-11-2016, 03:35 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Had my rig weighed by them at a rally a few years ago. They did a fine job. They weigh each wheel separately. They tell you on the spot if there are any issues and a week or so later they send a printout of the weights. At the rally they weighed the TV during the week and then on the day I left they weighed everything hooked up. Well worth the time and effort.
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 08:13 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by COCamping View Post
In my research today I came across this group. My luck they're going to be in our area early June, so I think we're going to get an appointment with them and get all kinds of weights and information. Anyone ever work with them before?

Weighing Process and Forms
Where are they coming to? I am pretty sure I have mine figured out pretty well from our local Agfinity scale, but if they are close I might stop in just to get edumecated a bit more.
2019 Grand Design Imagine 2800bh
morphrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 08:18 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Never mind, I see its in the springs. Meh, I will just look at info they have on the site. Thanks for the link.
2019 Grand Design Imagine 2800bh
morphrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 09:11 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Yes, I had my weighing by them last year, an absolute must! You get each wheel weight, which is much more accurate than a single scale weight. You will be surprised to find that most of the heavy stuff is on one side of the RV, and usually over one wheel. Very good information to make sure you are not overloading your tire or axles.

Jason & Wendy
2014 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L PSD
2015 Keystone Montana 3711FL
B&W Patriot 16K Fifth Wheel Hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 06:29 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Find a scale while on the road or one close to where you live.

We pulled into a truck stop (Davis on I-95) and used the CAT scale after I filled the truck with diesel. Water tank 1/3 full. Black and gray tanks empty - trailer loaded for a 2 week trip down south. Wife and I in the truck during weight in.

Steer Axle - 4900 lbs - - Rating 5600 lb
Drive Axle - 6060 lbs - - rating is 7050 lbs Tires are rated 3525 lbs at 80 psi
Truck GVWR 11,600 lbs
Tow rating 16,800 lbs - fifth wheel.

Trailer Axle - 9220 lbs - - rating 10,400 lbs
Trailer GVWR 12,380 lbs

Gross Weight - 20,180 lbs

SPECs - look at the trailer sticker and truck sticker.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gvwr sticker 5.jpg (185.5 KB, 1 views)

2012 Cruiser Patriot CF335SS.

2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

https://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...ailerKeuka.jpg
NorskeNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 10:40 PM   #8
Family Vacation Member

Hmm, might have to go visit them in June to get weighted. It cost more than a truck stop, but I haven't seen any scales around here or where I normally drive. And I do live the by wheel weight data.
Old 06-21-2016, 10:50 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

We loved our experience with this group Weighing Process and Forms In the end we got the weighing for free. A local RV store owner is on the board and he offered to pay our fee provided we purchased a $20 gift card to his store. Which had supplies we needed, so it wasn't a wasted gift card. The weighing team worked around our schedule and location since we were getting weighed outside their formal event since we were going to be out of town.

I loved all the information they were able to provide to us. Since it was just us they spent a bunch of time talking to us about our particular setup. we were significantly under weight for both the tow vehicle and the trailer, but our weight was distributed pretty evenly, so I was happy to get that info. They gave us recommendations of where to load additional items should we haul more than we had for this last trip so that we stay balanced.

I would say it's definitely worth the $60 if you have the chance to meet up with one of the weighing teams.
Old 06-21-2016, 11:40 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

If you just want tongue weight try this method using a bathroom scale.
https://www.etrailer.com/faq-how-to-...ue-weight.aspx
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote