Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2013, 12:55 PM   #1
Site Team

Order a Roadmaster Active Suspension for the '13 F150 SCREW. Was very
easy to install. Hardest part was getting the truck up in the air,
putting jack stands underneath it and having the stands high enough for
the suspension to drop. Only had 2 nuts to tighten on the u-bolts when
connecting to the present leaf springs. After that, all I had to do was
tighten the spring nut so either 1 of 2 disks supplied with the kit,
slips in between the spring coils.
Raised the truck by about 1/4 inch and eliminated the 2" sag I had when hooked to the 5th wheel.
Still
have a smooth ride with and without the 5th wheel hooked up. Also
eliminated the axle wrap and shudder I experienced when taking off from a
standstill. It also adds an additional 2500 lb capacity to truck.
Easy project for any shade tree mechanic.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:08 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Does that do the basic same thing as adding another HD leaf spring? How does it "add 2500 lb load capacity"?
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:14 PM   #3
Site Team

From the Roadmaster Active Suspension website http://www.activesuspension.com/:

"Roadmaster Active Suspension kits consist of a set of two very powerful,
variable rated, coil springs designed to support and assist rear leaf
springs with up to a one ton carrying capacity.Once installed, loaded
tension from the eye-to-axle mounted coil tension springs hold the leaf
springs in their original designed bowed position. When strain from load
or vehicle weight shift is applied to the leaf springs, the stabilizers
come into action immediately, absorbing the force of the load. Being
variable rated, the greater the strain, the more counter-assistance
force from the RAS unit.By introducing a powerful ‘load absorbing‘
spring steel coil system to rear leaf springs, RAS greatly assists the
carrying capability of the vehicle as stipulated by the manufacturers.
RAS absorbs the load that would otherwise cause bottoming out and
thereby provides the benefits of a more level and thus safer ride."

The suspension does not activate until load is placed on the leaf springs, whereas another leaf spring will make the ride harsher because it is active all the time.

That's all I know.

Edited by: mark5w

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Old 08-29-2013, 02:43 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

According to their website, the Roadmaster Active Suspension can increase your carrying capacity from 25% to 40% maximum over stock - it will not add 2,500 lbs load capacity to a 1/2 ton. You are still limited by your equipment (axles, frame and tires). If you haven't upgraded to E rated tires, your load capacity still remains reduced. Your truck will handle better with that setup but you could still be outside your truck gross vehicle weight rating and could still have insurance issues. I may not be as knowledgeable as some on here regarding trailers, but one thing I know inside and out is trucks. I have rebuilt, modified and done just about everything to almost every type of truck out there.
Saskatoon, SK
WildWildWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:41 PM   #5
Site Team

I am aware of the carrying capacity and load capacity issue. Have load E tires 7 lug rims. Since I could not put airbags on with the Superglide hitch this was my alternative.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:44 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

I have a F250 Diesel with a 48 gallon auxiliary tankand pull a Cruiser Aires CFL28 5th wheel. With the weight of the tank and pin weight. I added an extra leaf spring and the RM Active Suspension. Noticed that the rear end sags very little, compared to before. Ride is a little stiffer but pulling a 5th wheel is excellent. I wonder if I could have just got by with one or the other. Leaf spring was done by Tampa Spring and was arched to allow me to still get into the garage, maybe raised the truck a half an inch.

I have pulled the camper about 12000 miles this summer and amsatisfied withthe ride and stability. You do notice the ride when now, when going done some of our in need of repair interstate system.I can live with it for the stability. I bought the truck 2 years old and the previous owner was never satisfied with rid of the tires he put on. He felt the stock tires road better. I going to get a little more wear out of them.
Tread wear is above the indicators but I'm not happy with them either.

I talked to Road Master (Ryan) and they are confident of their product and will answer any questions you may have. They do back it up with a 30day money back guarantee.

RVCRUISER34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:11 AM   #7
Site Team

Mark, I've be looking at this kit and really procrastinating. I don't know if it could do me any good or not. I sit pretty level when loaded, so I can't see that I need any help there. Now getting to the slight
shudder we both have talked about when starting out with a load. I'm having a hard time figuring out just how this kit would figure into being of any benefit with that. If I thought it would eliminate that I would go ahead an order it, but I hate to just be throwing money away if it wouldn't.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:23 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Lloyd another less expensive option is StableLoads from Torklift.

http://www.torklift.com/products/stableload.php

If your truck squats on acceleration the shudder is usually from the change in pinion angle on the drive shaft and this can help prevent that. Can't say it would solve it without seeing your truck connected to the trailer. It also could be that you have just enough flex in the rear suspension that would cause the shudder as well which is similar to axle wrap. I'm more familiar with these issues on the Super Duty vs. the F150.
Saskatoon, SK
WildWildWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:48 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWildWest
Lloyd another less expensive option is StableLoads from Torklift.

http://www.torklift.com/products/stableload.php

If your truck squats on acceleration the shudder is usually from the change in pinion angle on the drive shaft and this can help prevent that. Can't say it would solve it without seeing your truck connected to the trailer. It also could be that you have just enough flex in the rear s uspension that would cause the shudder as well which is similar to axle wrap. I'm more familiar with these issues on the Super Duty vs. the F150.
I don't need it for any additional carrying capacity. Like I stated previously, I am trying to address the slight shudder it has when starting out under load. I don't get on it hard enough starting out to create any pinion/axle wrap.
It "might" have something to do with the twin turbos kicking in one ahead of the other.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:07 AM   #10
Site Team

My Ford dealer said the first turbo kicks in at low rpm (about 1800). Full torque is achieved at 2500 rpms. (420 ft lbs.) This adds to the shudder that occurs when starting out. The RAS eliminated almost all of the shudder on my truck.

Old 09-13-2013, 12:18 PM   #11
Site Team

Mark, does RMS say that their kit will do that for the ECO-BOOST? Did you ask them that when you bought?

Old 09-13-2013, 12:28 PM   #12
Site Team

Yes, when I called them to order it we talked about the shudder. He said it would eliminate it on my Ecoboost and for me it did. I even had axle wrap when towing the 5th wheel. Not anymore. Best thing is, it didn't alter the ride; still smooth. I also showed it to the service manager at my Ford garage. He ordered one for his son's Ecoboost.