Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2018, 06:29 PM   #1
New Camper

Exclamation King Pin too low

Is anyone having the same issues with a 2018 Cruiser Aire 28RD king pin height? Mine is so low that I can't put my hitch low enough. If I buy a new hitch, then the 5th wheel overhang would hit the bed of the pickup. I have a Reese and is set as low as it can go and there is only 3" clearance between the bed and overhang of the 5th wheel and I'm still 4" too high in the front.
tripower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 06:34 PM   #2
Site Team

What are you towing with?
dagst1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 06:54 PM   #3
New Camper

2011 3500 SRW GMC
And it's not as tall as my brother-in-law's Ford
Old 07-05-2018, 07:19 PM   #4
Site Team

In my case I had a 04 GMC 2500hd 4x2 and my camper sat close to level but when I got my 08 GMC 2500hd 4x4 I sets a lot higher. Had to lower my kingpin and raise my hitch to have clearance and its still not level. next step is a 2" front and rear drop on the truck. My BIL just got a 18 f250 4x4 and man is that thing tall. Don't hold me to this but I read somewhere that a lot of the rvs today are ''Half Ton Towable'' and a half ton truck sits a lot lower. YOUR OPINION MAY VERY!
Old 07-06-2018, 10:06 AM   #5
Gone Traveling

Raise the kingpin, mine has several holes above it's current setting.
There are several out there towing with 1/2 tons that were convinced by that same sales pitch that shouldn't be towing with a 1/2 ton. Sorry but a 3.6 boosted V6 making ?? horsepower in a lightweight truck still needs the torque at lower rpms to be a tow vehicle, maybe it does, but I'll stick with something a bit more substantial.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 10:51 AM   #6
Site Team

To get more clearance between the truck bed and the overhang raise the hitch or lower the kingpin. Then you are nose high. To get the trailer to sit level you have to raise the trailer at the springs or lower the truck. You could try larger tires on the trailer. In my case I do not like raising the center of gravity on the trailer so I will lower my truck.

This is what I did to determine how much I needed to make the trailer sit close to level. I have a concreate pad that is level and the truck and trailer fit on. With the trailer hitched up I pulled up on 1" boards under all 4 trailer tires adding boards till the trailer was close to level. I have about 6" between the bed and the trailer and need to raise the trailer 3" to set level. My local 4x4 shop has a 2" or 4" drop kit so I will lower the truck.

THIS IS JUST MY OPINION!! YOURS MAY VERY!!
Old 07-06-2018, 12:08 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Raise the kingpin, mine has several holes above it's current setting.
There are several out there towing with 1/2 tons that were convinced by that same sales pitch that shouldn't be towing with a 1/2 ton. Sorry but a 3.6 boosted V6 making ?? horsepower in a lightweight truck still needs the torque at lower rpms to be a tow vehicle, maybe it does, but I'll stick with something a bit more substantial.

I don't see anybody but you on this thread talking about towing with a boosted 3.6 V6.
I don't know what that has to do with the OP's question concerning pin height.
Lets keep it on topic.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 02:14 PM   #8
New Camper

I had the exact same problem with my 2015 27RL and I tow with a 2007 Dodge 2500. The ride home was really squirrely and frankly dangerous, there was significantly more weight on the rear axle of the trailer. I adjusted the pin box as much as I could then had no choice but to raise the trailer approx. 2" via blocks between the axle and springs (Dealer Install). This made a big difference in trailer stance, no longer nose high and the handling improved dramatically. I understand the center of gravity changed some but it hasn't proven to be an issue if you drive like a sane person. If there is a next time I will be more diligent in matching truck and trailer. The sales staff could care less as long as they get the sale.
Bmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 03:14 PM   #9
New Camper

What about adding MorRyde system?

I have thought about adding a MorRyde System which should raise the trailer some. Also, add HD shackles and wet bolt kit.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:31 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

I'd vote to raise the trailer, leave the truck alone. Mine is up 5''. Tows like a dream.
fredtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 06:16 PM   #11
New Camper

I tow my 28 RD with a 2003 ram 2500 I raised the pin box one bolt hole if you do this watch out for the emergency brake wires they ran them thru the bolt holes and you will pinch them and short them out best to move them first and go around the back of the pin box ( burning wire smells bad )