Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2009, 03:57 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

I've see this discussed on other forums but I'd like a Crossroads perspective.

The question is does anyone leave the hitch attached to the 5er and pull their truck out from under the hitch, thus leaving the hitch hanging on the pin?

I have a reese signature series 18K hitch for pulling my Cruiser. The hitch uses the puck system that allows it to be removed from the bed. I often go hunting this time of year and need the bed of the truck for dog boxes. I can transport the boxes in the camper for the trip but need space for them in the back of the truck when hunting. Would rather not be dependent on having someone available to lift the hitch in and out of the truck.

Other forums seem to suggest this practice is just fine. What say you all?
Kevin from K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 04:29 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Can't say I've ever heard of that. They actually leave the hitch hooked to the king ping and pull out from under it? I believe that is a practice that I will stay away from. I would rig up a pulley system of some sort to raise the hitch then pull out from under it. Then you can lower the hitch to the ground instead ofleaving it hanging. An 18K Signature Series is to much $$$ to leave hanging.
https://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...04/TheRig3.jpg
scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 04:58 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I don't see it doing any damage, just keep a padlock on it so no one can unhook it.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 04:58 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

I have read where a lot of people do this and never have an issue. I don't kow if I would want that much weight hanging from my pin all the time but it may not be a problem.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 05:00 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper

I have abuddy who does that, it hangs there all winter, he pad locks it on, then covers the hitch with a tarp, it sure isn't going to hurt anything if you leave it there, they are heavy to haul around, I have been tempted to do it but I keep mine in my barn.....

2004 Ford F-350 CC dually 4X4
mbinohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 05:04 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

If I didn't have a place to store mine I would do exactly the same thing. If the in box can't take that kind of weight hanging off of it, we are all in trouble.

I have a friend who does it with his all the time. Never heard of any problems from him.

I agree with the above, lock it. This way nobody can take your hitch nor your trailer.

<font color=BROWN>2006 33RL Paradise Point</font>

[img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

https://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...amper/33rl.jpg
CamperNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 05:20 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

Just to clarify, this would not be for a long period. Couple of days at the most. I remove the hitch at home for long term storage using the loader on my tractor and set it on a homemade dolly so I can move it out of the way.

Lock sounds like a good idea though.

Thanks
Old 10-26-2009, 11:40 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

I leave mine hanging on the pin all winter. Have done it that way for years. Always padlock it so no one ends up with it on top of them.

whereRwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 02:20 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

Thanks for all the helpful responses. I tried this two days ago, and it seems to work fine. Have not tried to put the hitch back in the truck yet. Lining up the holes might be a little of a trick. I'll let you know how that works.

Kevin
Old 07-22-2010, 01:36 AM   #10
New Camper

I do this all the time. By the way, don't even try to line up the holes. I just lower it down into the bed when I am close, release the hitch from the pin, pull the truck forward so I have room to work, and lift the hitch into the proper position within the rails. Mine stays on the pin all winter (covered with tarp and locked).

2005 Cruiser 28CK

2007 GMC Sierra 2500HD Classic 8.1L Gasser Allison Trans
seanlcad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 03:09 AM   #11
Seasonal Camper

I do the same as Sean abaove. Never hurt a thing.
gtoguy1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 03:49 AM   #12
Seasonal Camper

I have a 16K signature slider hitch. I have left it on the pin with no trouble. I always lock my hitch in or out of the truck when hitched to the trailer. If the weight of the hitch were to damage the trailer I agree we are in trouble. When putting back in truck had no problem. I use an aiming system that allows me to get the right left almost perfect. I have a mark on the trailer that is centered. Then a mark on my trucks rear window that is centered. Then when I am hitch in a straight line I put a mark on the rear view mirror that lines up with the other two. Then when backing to the trailer line up the three marks and you will be left to right on the money. Like aiming a rifle. Then all you have to do is have someone watch when the pucks line up as you back the last couple feet. I do this if I am at a site for more than a couple days. Then I have a full empty bed for other actvities.
rcflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:30 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

Haven't done it , but know someone who does...am tempted to try it just to be able to tarp it and keep it out of the weather...concerned about grandkids walking under it though...

06 F350 KR PS CC SRW

...Wish we were camping...
cowboy_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:30 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

Just curious how you are locking the hitch both to the bed and the pin? Do you put locks on each cam lever or run a cable through them? Do you put a lock on the release lever? Also can't the hitch head be removed just by pulling the cotter pins under the head thus disconnecting the head base and slides?

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:40 AM   #15
Full Time Camper

Well I've never bothered to lock it in the bed, but always keep the release lever locked...If someone wants to steal it there's always a way...

06 F350 KR PS CC SRW

...Wish we were camping...
cowboy_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:16 AM   #16
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by salda01
Just curious how you are locking the hitch both to the bed and the pin? Do you put locks on each cam lever or run a cable through them? Do you put a lock on the release lever? Also can't the hitch head be removed just by pulling the cotter pins under the head thus disconnecting the head base and slides?

I lock the release lever.There is no danger of the hitch falling on children if it has been locked. As for the cotter pins I replaced those pins with two grade 8 bolts and a nylon locking nut. Requires wrenches and some patience to remove them.<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" />

rcflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:44 PM   #17
Full Time Camper

[QUOTE=rcflyer]
Quote:
Originally Posted by salda01
</span>As for the cotter pins I replaced those pins with two grade 8 bolts and a nylon locking nut. Requires wrenches and some patience to remove them.</span>
Thanks.... the bolts and lock nut are probably more of a deterrent than a pad lock anyway. I would assume that more thieves care lock cutters than a wrench set.

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 02:43 PM   #18
Family Vacation Member

I leave mine in for weight in the wintertime i also add 16 bags of shingles!!

Duramax,allison.etc.

2009 30SK Patriot edition

Pullrite 20.5k Super Fifth

https://i494.photobucket.com/albums/r...b1/NewSpot.jpg
buddhabob1 is offline   Reply With Quote