Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2017, 09:16 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Thumbs up Lesson Learned

For years I have pulled trailers and no issues. For whatever reason that consumed my brain yesterday, I did something I can't explain. On a return trip home I hooked up the TT, attached sway bar and WD. Hit the road and was on our way. As we were pulling into the storage facility we heard something snap and then dragging. I stopped and found the sway control hitch ball snapped off the truck hitch assembly. This was late last night, so we decided to investigate in the morning.

Turns out I OVER TIGHTENED the sway bar. Yes, it can happen. I contacted Eaz-Lift last night and they emailed me back this morning. They said over tightening is not uncommon and WILL cause a failure along the sway control assembly. I contacted our RV repair facility and talked to the service guy we use all he time. He confirmed what Eaz-Lift had said.

So I say again: LESSON LEARNED

2016 Crossroads 291 RL Z-1
2015 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi Outdoorsman
www.wildlifeupclose.com
moore_rvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 01:16 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

We all have these moments from time to time.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 08:38 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by moore_rvers View Post
For years I have pulled trailers and no issues. For whatever reason that consumed my brain yesterday, I did something I can't explain. On a return trip home I hooked up the TT, attached sway bar and WD. Hit the road and was on our way. As we were pulling into the storage facility we heard something snap and then dragging. I stopped and found the sway control hitch ball snapped off the truck hitch assembly. This was late last night, so we decided to investigate in the morning.

Turns out I OVER TIGHTENED the sway bar. Yes, it can happen. I contacted Eaz-Lift last night and they emailed me back this morning. They said over tightening is not uncommon and WILL cause a failure along the sway control assembly. I contacted our RV repair facility and talked to the service guy we use all he time. He confirmed what Eaz-Lift had said.

John, thanks for your post. I'll keep this in mind. I'm constantly over tightening everything. My wife was just on me today as we were adjusting the tv bracket in the rv, because she knows me too well...
Former: Crossroads ST26RB
Steve7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:58 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Steve, I'm glad my moment of brute strength could help you avoid the same issue. As we were driving I kept think that I did not here it moaning and popping as it should when making turns. Now I know why. I'm replacing the ball mount on the hitch on the truck and the sway plate tomorrow. The ball on the sway plate was a bit bent as well. I'm grateful it didn't snap off while doing 60mph. It broke making a 2mph turn.

2016 Crossroads 291 RL Z-1
2015 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi Outdoorsman
www.wildlifeupclose.com
moore_rvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 09:58 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

That's the main reason I love my torque wrenches. I've stripped and broken so many bolts that it's not even funny. Case in point is "snug". Exactly how tight is that? My snug might require someone to use a wrench to loosen.
Grems4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 10:43 AM   #6
New Camper

Thanks for you post, I too (with my OCD) have a tendency to to over tight almost everything, even a water bottle until it just feels right, lol.

I definitely need to heed your advice. Thanks for sharing your experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by moore_rvers View Post