Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2019, 09:46 AM   #1
New Camper

Unhappy Lippert 285318 Tongue Jack woe's

Over the 4th we took our 2014 Crossroads Sunset Trail 270BH for a week long stay at a Campground in Western Wisconsin. We had a few wet days and I ended up burning out my Lippert 285318 Tongue Jack fuse. Upon Manual attempt to crank the jack the NUT attached to the end of the shaft broke in 3 pieces after about 5 turns. Luckily I had a Universal Socket in my truck which I was able to muscle through.

http://www.crossroadsowners.com/foru...attach/jpg.gif

Turns out this Shoddy Hex Nut (Used for manual cranking) housed at the top of LCI's Drive Shaft is not a listed replacement part. Meaning, no dealership has it and Lippert Components, Inc. declines to sell or replace it. They did however offer me a small discount on a new Jack. So this crappy nut will cost me over $150, if I wish it replaced.

Any Ideas, or cheaper fixes?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 61UCZdrutZL._SL1500_.jpg (101.1 KB, 20 views)
Brisalor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 10:28 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Can you remove the piece and take it down to a machine shop and have a new nut welded on or something? I realize today we live in a throw away society and everything is only built strong enough to last till warranty expires kind of thing. Lots of situations when you repair something it's better than when it was new, and sometimes worth repairing as the new stuff is still even worse than the old stuff.
Old 07-09-2019, 12:45 PM   #3
Site Team

Your post jogged my memory about this happening to other members.
Here is a link to the thread.
http://www.crossroadsowners.com/foru...nut-13902.html
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 02:35 PM   #4
Seasonal Camper

Does that shaft turn real hard, or is it that the nut is poor material ? I wonder if an amateur welder (me) could weld a common nut on the end? Just a thought.
Wingerdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 04:12 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

I sympathize with you for the nut. But this is a good case for carrying some extras, like fuses
1917 T roadster 270 Hemi/4 spd
34' car trailer w/63" semi sleeper on the front
phat rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 05:21 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

I had the same problem when I bought my trailer (used) and did not discover the location of this manual operation nut. But, mine was minus the nut. I went to the local trailer dealer and tried to explain my problem. They could not think of any device that would operate the shaft without the nut. An old time mechanic overheard us talking and once I explained it to him produced a tool they use on fifth wheel trailers. They loaned me theirs to get my jack up but I had to buy a new jack as mine was shot.

They did not know where they got their tool from so could not order one.

The shaft on mine was approx. 5/8" in diameter with a flat spot on a portion of one side.

The part looked like it could be easily made at home with the right tools. All you need is a pipe of the same diameter or a tad larger and crimp-in one side so it catches the flat spot on the shaft. It doesn't have to be exact as long as its inside the arc of the shaft to catch the sides when it turns. It's up to you how to put the crank handle on it. A pair of vise grips will do in a pinch but you can use your imagination.

Also, the shaft turns very easily. It surprised me but I guess the gear ratio inside the jack is built for just that.
Old 07-14-2019, 06:29 PM   #7
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by phat rat View Post
I sympathize with you for the nut. But this is a good case for carrying some extras, like fuses
it was mentioned a few times, the special nut is not available.
Old 07-14-2019, 06:35 PM   #8
Seasonal Camper

i read somewhere that I could rotate the upper housing on my Lippert jack, so that it will clear the tailgate of my truck.
I will be looking at that nut, and just for a backup, make a 'dimpled shaft' to drive it in case of a problem.
That is, once I get it back from the body shop that is painting my faded cap.. sigh..
Old 07-15-2019, 08:44 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingerdinger View Post
i read somewhere that I could rotate the upper housing on my Lippert jack, so that it will clear the tailgate of my truck.
I will be looking at that nut, and just for a backup, make a 'dimpled shaft' to drive it in case of a problem.
That is, once I get it back from the body shop that is painting my faded cap.. sigh..
I rotated my head part 90 degrees and tailgat opens perfect and away from the head. Switches on driver side. 2 rubber covers on side to take off and 2 bolts to take out...you will have to tap the holes that are there in the new position...re insert bolts and done.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:49 AM   #10
New Camper

The nut-less shaft turns easily enough with a ratchet and pictured universal socket. Handy little bugger.
Old 07-16-2019, 03:32 PM   #11
Family Vacation Member

Simply find a NUT that will slide on the shaft, drill and tap for a set screw and install set screw to the flat on the shaft; easy/ peasy; using barrel nut, you would have enough length for multi-options?
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 08:56 AM   #12
New Camper

Awsome... I think I can do that...
Great Idea. Thanks,