Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2014, 05:17 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Lower the Shackle, Raise the Camper

The package is a 2010 M 35SB Kingston 37 feet/ 2011 2500HD Silverodo. My truck being a 4 wheel drive sits high. So high in fact that no matter what I’ve done so far I’m unable to level my 5er. I’ve raised the pin box on the camper and lowered the 5th wheel hitch in the bed of the truck. This creates a problem with turns wherein the pin box will contact the sides of the truck bed…NOT GOOD. The only thing left is to move the shackles on the camper to the lower bolt holes which will raise the camper maybe 2 inches.
I’m wondering if this will affect the stability of the camper. Has anyone out there any experience with an issue like this. I would be interested in hearing thoughts or suggestions from my fellow 5th wheel camper owners. Anything except buy another truck. <>

Randy McCaslin
Jonesboro, Georgia
2010 CR Kingston 35SB
2011 Chevy 2500HD 4X4 Duramax/Allison
rvscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 06:37 AM   #2
Site Team

How far out of level are you?

Does your rig have 15, or, 16 in. wheels and tires? I switched to the 16 in. and it leveled it out.

Our 5er came from the factory with hangers with the two holes. I know some of the guys here have done what you are talking about, but they ran a reinforcement on the frame before welding the new hangers on.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 07:41 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

I already have 16 inch wheels and tires. The hangers already have the extra hole so it's just a matter of moving the shackles. The rig is in the shop for another issue so I'm ready to give the go ahead to do it. The only cost will be 2 hours labor and replacement cost for new bolts. If the change in height doesn't affect towing stability I'm thinking it will be worth the cost. I'm hoping to hear from someone who had the same issue and what their outcome was.

Randy McCaslin
Jonesboro, Georgia
2010 CR Kingston 35SB
Old 10-16-2014, 08:19 AM   #4
Site Team

Mine are in the lower hole on the hanger. I don't have any issue with instability because of it.

Now with said I realize your camper is a lot bigger then mine, but, if CR didn't want those holes to be used, they probably wouldn't have used that hanger.
It's a simple enough procedure to perform (changing holes) that if it was mine, I would just go ahead and do it. If you aren't satisfied with the results it can be changed back. It's not like it would be a permanent thing if it didn't work for you.

Here is a link to info you were wondering about.
http://www.crossroadsowners.com/foru...spring+hangers
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 05:13 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Using the lower holes does increase risk of a hanger failure, so many people have the hanger reinforced.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 07:39 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Randy, I have a 09 33sk Kingston 37' when it was new the dealer did just as you plan on doing. Later it went back to the factory for major concerns and they noticed it had been raised. They said it wasn't a problem but the equiflex in between the wheels that hold the two other sides of the shackles also need to be replaced with the longer version. maybe a welder could extend the center hanger cheaper than replacing equiflex, Crossroads didn't charge to replace it I think they felt sorry for me. It did raise it but the spring were not level. Now I have a Dodge 3500 2 wheel drive that is even higher and the front rides almost a bubble of level, it hasn't been a problem and I don't feel that its worth $700 to have a leveling kit put on the truck. I'll wait and see there may be a new camper in our future. good luck with it
2008 Club Cart Precedent
https://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...olfcart2-1.jpg
Cajun TBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 04:35 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

Brent thanks for the info.
After considering the info you provided and further discussion with the service manager I've decided the gain from changing to the lower bolt holes isn't enough to make it worth doing. Towing is not an issue and it would probably be a cosmetic gain at best.
As a side note; I've been really happy with the Kingston. The only real issue has been the bedroom A/C which is the reason it’s in the shop now. I bought an extended warranty (I never do that) which is covering the replacement of the unit.
Thanks

Randy McCaslin
Jonesboro, Georgia
2010 CR Kingston 35SB