Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2018, 08:23 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Question More New Trailer Towing Issues

I have been towing a small trailer with my F250 with a conventional hitch. The truck would sit in the rear about 1” (3700 lb trailer).

I just purchased an Eaz lift Trekker weight distributing hitch. My trailer (6000 lbs) is level at 23” at the tongue. I measured my F250 bumpers on level ground and got 18” in front and 21” in rear.

I adjusted the ball height to get to the 23” height (as I interpreted the instructions).

Results were: The tongue sat at 22”. The front of my truck stayed at 18” and the rear dropped to 18” (loss of 3”).

Should I not have front and rear of the truck unchanged with the tongue of the trailer parallel to the ground ?
***Going for 1 million miles***
Hballer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 08:39 AM   #2
Weekend Camper

It has the L-brackets that go on the trailer, correct? Then you have to adjust them up and this will put more pressure on the load bars and raise the rear of your truck. It is a trial and error kind of deal.

2018 Sunset Trail SS262BH with 72 mods
2019 RAM 3500 Laramie 4x4 SRW SB
6.7 HO, Aisin trans
CobaltPaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 09:04 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobaltPaP View Post
It has the L-brackets that go on the trailer, correct? Then you have to adjust them up and this will put more pressure on the load bars and raise the rear of your truck. It is a trial and error kind of deal.
I don’t believe I have an adjustment there. I do have significant adjustment of the ball height.

I will run down to my storage lot and shoot a pic of what I have and post it later. Thanks.
Old 07-30-2018, 09:53 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

All weight distribution hitches have an adjustment on the trailer connection where the load bars connect. If it is chain then you must go up a couple of links. Not positive but the model you have should have L-brackets that must be adjusted up or down in combinatin with adjusting the ball height.

2018 Sunset Trail SS262BH with 72 mods
2019 RAM 3500 Laramie 4x4 SRW SB
6.7 HO, Aisin trans
CobaltPaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 10:45 AM   #5
Site Team

Just read the instructions for your hitch and it seems you are not adjusted properly. You need to turn the adjustment knob so the bars point down more. That will lift the rear of the truck and add to the front to help level your truck. Then tighten the bolts to hold it. I believe it was 260 FTLB. The instructions are on line at the Eaz Lift site.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 08:05 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

Went and looked at the L bracket. It has 4 holes for adjustment. You are correct. However, I will have to drill hole(s) in the frame to raise the bars. Trial and error will give me more than one set of holes. Right now, top bolt is resting on the frame with the bottom, below.

Is there a formula or ratio to effect the change? I will also have to LOWER the ball height once I raise the bars. (Truck has to go up 3” in rear, ball has to go up 1”)
Old 08-01-2018, 08:19 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagst1 View Post
Just read the instructions for your hitch and it seems you are not adjusted properly. You need to turn the adjustment knob so the bars point down more. That will lift the rear of the truck and add to the front to help level your truck. Then tighten the bolts to hold it. I believe it was 260 FTLB. The instructions are on line at the Eaz Lift site.
Dagst1, I will try that. I will also have to lower the ball as I raise the arms. (I really did read the instructions.I was baffled by too many variables in bracket placement, trailer ride height, etc.)
Old 08-01-2018, 08:22 AM   #8
Site Team

By the instructions the brackets on your camper are correct you need to adjust the head. If you do not have the instructions you can get them on the Eaz lift site. Check them out they will help to get the hitch adjusted.
Old 08-01-2018, 09:44 AM   #9
Site Team

I think you just need a few more adjustments.

1. Did you add 1/8" for each 100# of tongue weight? Your trailer was 23" then add your tongue wt. - EX. 800# x 1/8" = 1" + 23" = 24". Don't know your tongue wt. so this is just a guess.

2. After you adjust the head to the nearest hole to give you 23" + the 1/8" x tongue weight height you adjust the thumbscrew so that you have a 3/4" gap between the U on the ball mount and the shank. This is a starting point for the load on your spring bars. Then you tighten the 2 large bolts to 260 ftlb.

3. Hitch up your truck. As per the instructions turn the sway control caps CCW 3 to 5 turns to deactivate the sway control then use the jack to raise the truck and trailer up past level to help with installing the spring bars. Once the bars are snapped in place. Then lower the jack and check your measurements on the truck. They should be the same or up to 1" lower in the back.

4. If not level then you unhitch and loosen the 2 large bolts and use the thumbscrew to adjust the angle of the spring bars - lower to raise the truck and higher to lower the truck then repeat step 3 until you are happy with the heights.

5. After you get the adjustments to your liking remember to tighten the sway control caps to 45 ftlbs to turn on the sway control.

As I said you sound like your close just need a few more adjustments. Also on your hitch the brackets on the tongue are not adjustable. The extra holes are for different frame sizes.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-01-2018, 01:04 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagst1 View Post
I think you just need a few more adjustments.

1. Did you add 1/8" for each 100# of tongue weight? Your trailer was 23" then add your tongue wt. - EX. 800# x 1/8" = 1" + 23" = 24". Don't know your tongue wt. so this is just a guess.

2. After you adjust the head to the nearest hole to give you 23" + the 1/8" x tongue weight height you adjust the thumbscrew so that you have a 3/4" gap between the U on the ball mount and the shank. This is a starting point for the load on your spring bars. Then you tighten the 2 large bolts to 260 ftlb.

3. Hitch up your truck. As per the instructions turn the sway control caps CCW 3 to 5 turns to deactivate the sway control then use the jack to raise the truck and trailer up past level to help with installing the spring bars. Once the bars are snapped in place. Then lower the jack and check your measurements on the truck. They should be the same or up to 1" lower in the back.

4. If not level then you unhitch and loosen the 2 large bolts and use the thumbscrew to adjust the angle of the spring bars - lower to raise the truck and higher to lower the truck then repeat step 3 until you are happy with the heights.

5. After you get the adjustments to your liking remember to tighten the sway control caps to 45 ftlbs to turn on the sway control.

As I said you sound like your close just need a few more adjustments. Also on your hitch the brackets on the tongue are not adjustable. The extra holes are for different frame sizes.

Hope this helps.
If it ever stops raining, I will get this hitch straightened out (Western NC). Thank you for the direction. I will let you know how it works out...
Old 08-01-2018, 01:20 PM   #11
Site Team

Hope You get it figured out. Sometimes a fresh set of eyes helps. Nice here in central Mo. Ours goes in the shop for a new awning Friday will have it back next weekend then back to the woods. Happy camping!!
Old 08-01-2018, 02:02 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

Enjoy!
We are heading to Minneapolis for the World Handball Championship. 8 days in the camper (fighting off the MN mosquitoes.)