Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2016, 10:48 PM   #1
New Camper

nose down, or level

I am wanting to lower my nose on the trailer. The dealer had it set up at just slightly above level( nose high ). My concern is that if I do lower the nose will I b adding weight to the rear axel. I believe that a trailer pulls better of the nose is slightly down' maybe say 1 to 1.5" lower in the front.
Mittsoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 06:09 AM   #2
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mittsoff View Post
I am wanting to lower my nose on the trailer. The dealer had it set up at just slightly above level( nose high ). My concern is that if I do lower the nose will I b adding weight to the rear axel. I believe that a trailer pulls better of the nose is slightly down' maybe say 1 to 1.5" lower in the front.
I suppose it is all about personal preference, but the trailer is designed to be pulled as close to level as possible. Any time you change the geometry on a wd hitch you are changing the way the load is disbursed. Typically when you lower the nose you are adding weight to the rear axle and unloading the weight on your front axle. I personally wouldn't do it, but again, it is about personal preference and what you are most comfortable with.
Old 06-07-2016, 06:34 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

If you want to lower the front,keep all adjustments the same ,but just move the head of the hitch down one hole on the sleeve by unbolting the 2 bolts and putting them back in the lower holes. Weight on truck axles should stay the same. If you just change one chain link ,then the truck axle weight will change.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 01:45 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Mittsoff, are you using the chain style weight distribution hitch or the bar style?

I have never used the chain style and I am not familiar with them, so I don't know what type of adjustments you can make. If it is the bar style like an Equilizer or Center Line, then lowering the head an inch changes the geometry quite a bit and the whole set up will have to be reworked to keep the weight evenly distributed.

In addition to changing the the weight distribution through the truck, by lowering the front of the trailer you are shifting weight onto the front axle of the trailer as well.
Old 06-07-2016, 01:57 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

If you lower the front you put more weight on the front trailer axle. If nose high there is more weight on the rear trailer axle
Old 06-07-2016, 02:42 PM   #6
New Camper

Hitch geometry

I have an equalizer four point sway control hitch. It is the solid bar type and does not have any chains I did end up making an adjustment the shank coming out of the receiver was up I turned it over so it pointed down and put the assembly back in the same holes. The result was a lower ball height of 1.5 inches. Previously when hooked up my trunnion bars were level, I am hoping that by lowering the ball height and leaving the hangers on the trailer in the same position it will put more weight on to the front axle of my truck. what say you all ?
Old 06-07-2016, 04:34 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

I have the same hitch (Just quoted chains for reference) and you have the trailer like you want it ,so if you want to add more weight to the front of the truck,take head off again and add one washer to the inside upper part and put head back on . This angles the trunnion bars a bit when unhooked.so when you hook up the bars stay looking the same but more weight on front tires of truck.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 10:27 PM   #8
New Camper

Thanks for the feed back. I appreciate it. I have only had the hitch for a few days now and just got around to reading the manual because....... I'm a bit of a nerd in my middle years apparently. Anyways I could tell the RV tech was overworked and in a hurry( it was a Saturday) and didn't spend much time adjusting my hitch. The manual says that airbags should be inflated to desired tow pressure prior to hooking up, that's change no. 1. It also stated that dropping the ball height will increase the weight distribution. After reading this manual I will attempt to setup as lose to their recommendations as possible. I hope to take it out for a test runthis weekend to dial it in as we are planning a trip to northern Idaho from Saskatchewan. This should be a awesome test for the EcoBeast.
Old 06-19-2016, 10:37 PM   #9
New Camper

Weekend trip

Just got back from a weekend at he campground. I pulled my 36'11" ST 33BD (9000 pound travel trailer). It was 60 miles there and uphill most of the way. I averaged about 60 mph, and 8.5 mpg. The trip home had 35 mph side wind, I was down around 55mph for this stretch. The last half had a tail wind and I averaged 62 mph. My combined mileage for the entire trip was 11.5 mpg. I am happy with the average. The Ecobeast handled the camper very well. The crosswinds were noticeable but manageable at 55 mph, and with the tail wind