Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2011, 08:54 AM   #1
hhh
Seasonal Camper

I was wondering if someone that has a Crusier or CTX can tell me how much their pin box moves when you take the weight off of it? When hooked up look at the holes in the mounting plates where it goes up into the underbelly and then look again once you have the weight off the hitch and see if this area has moved. Below is the area I am talking about. Thanks!

'11 CF285RL Patriot - '08 GMC 3500HD D/A CC LB Dually - Yamaha Zuma 125

tgif: let's RV
hhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:50 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

I have no movement on mine. It might flex some while driving, but not very much.
The bunk bedroom is for Haley!

Crossing the Roads with The Mason-Dixon Bunch
RKamperRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:52 AM   #3
hhh
Seasonal Camper

Above is a picture of mine while hooked up. Below is a picture unhooked.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:04 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

My 30SK doesn't move anywhere near that much!! That looks to be an inch or more. I would have it checked if it were mine.

Viet Nam Vet 70-71 Da Nang

Real airplanes have two wings and big, round, engines
BipeFlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:04 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

Isn't that an air ride pin box, height is going to change depending on weight on the air bag?

Sin City

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 Cummins

2005 Cruiser 29RK
Vots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:05 AM   #6
hhh
Seasonal Camper

There is no air ride pin box. It has the Rota Flex pin which is only a rubber isolated pin.

Old 06-13-2011, 11:15 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

That much movement would concern me.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:25 AM   #8
Family Vacation Member

ditto on Hunter's remark. I believe those holes are 5/8" diam. and it appears that the differential is 3/8 to 7/16". With all the skin being attached to the frame member that the pin box is anchored too, you should not see that movement. Have it checked out, you may have some broken welds.

Kernersville, NC

2011 Ram 4500 SLT 4x4

2005 PF36SK
delqcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:20 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

Are you showing that whole kingpin box is moving or is it the Trail-air kingpin? If it's the kingpin box, I would suggest you get itback to the dealer asap, because it's very likely that youhave a broken weld on thebox mount.

The kingpin on our 5vr flexes some when we're moving but not when stationary.
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:04 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Just measured my unit. It has the standard pin box with the aero cover, so I can't really get a good angle on the bolt holes. But since the new front cap extends further than the front of the pin box, I was able to take measurements from that. The center amber clearance light provides a good reference point and I took measurements on both sides, from the horizontal fiberglas that the clearance light is mounted on to the curved front edge of the pin box. There is a 3/4 inch difference hooked vs. unhooked and the actual numbers were the same on both sides, 14-1/8 inch hooked, 14-7/8 inch unhooked. I certainly would have hoped for less movement. Maybe some other owners will try the same thing.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:23 AM   #11
Seasonal Camper

I have a Cruiser 26RK. I did a check with it hitched and un hitched. I saw no movement between the pin box and the horizontal fiberglass. I do not have an aero cover. Mine looks very much like the OP except no movement.

I agree with others I would have this checked out ASAP. I do not see why there would be movement between the pin box and the main trailer assembly. If the dealer is any distance I would contact Crossroads before I would move the trailer.
rcflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:39 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflyer
Â* I do not see why there would be movement between the pin box and the main trailer assembly.

Unhooked, the landing legs are carrying all the weight so the front of the frame is static and carrying just it's own weight. Hooked, the extended pin box is applying leverage to the two front crossmembers that span the full width of the trailer, the front crossmember will flex up in the center and the rear crossmember will flex down in the center due to the king pin weight. The question is how much flex is OK?

11 Cruiser CF32MK
Old 06-14-2011, 03:26 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

Rechecked measurements and took some photos. First, the rear crossmember is a double crossmember, so it is not too likely to flex. The plywood floor of the front closet is directly above the pin box mount and I could feel that at the rear crossmember, it was tight against the top of the crossmember.

But there is some clearance between the plywood and the single front crossmember, using several wood shims, I measured this gap at 9/16 inch. I took photos from inside the pin box mount looking forward, had to do it kind of blind and used a flashlight to help the camera focus. Anyway this first pic is w/o zoom and shows several nails thru the plywood that missed hitting the crossmember. You may also be able to see the short, angled brace that is welded to both front and rear crossmembers, this is what the pin box mount is actually welded to. This is taken unhooked.

Next pic is taken hooked up and I put a piece of duct tape on the crossmember near the tip of one of the nails.

Final pic is taken after unhooking and it shows how much the crossmember has moved back to it's original position. Behind the two nails, you can see where they have rubbed against the crossmember as it has flexed.

One more point, the front cap is not attached to the front crossmember across the bottom in any way, so it is probably not in danger of being cracked due to crossmember flexing. I'm not sure were the front wall of the closet is attached, but the closet floor was clearly pushed up the first time the trailer was hitched up.

11 Cruiser CF32MK
Old 06-14-2011, 07:00 AM   #14
hhh
Seasonal Camper

My selling dealer was less then helpful. Called Crossroads, sent the photos to Amy and she was passing them on to Randy. Haven't heard back from the yet.

So Larry's moves about 3/4" which is just a bit less then mine does and rcflyer's does not move. Wonder if we can get more to check their units.

Edited by: hhh

Old 06-14-2011, 11:21 AM   #15
Site Team

I have checked mine a couple times last year. (better do it again by the sounds of this)
I always had a strong 1/2 in. movement.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:56 AM   #16
New Camper

Windeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 12:04 PM   #17
New Camper

I just had a Trailair Tri-Glide Long Pin Box mounted on my 31' Cruiser. I noticed that it flexed about a 1/4" when hooked up and may be a little more. It also appears to flex side to side as well as front to back. I talked with Trailair and they said it is their number one question. They said the Pin Box/Frame Mount is designed to flex otherwise it would just break and I should expect to see some flexing. I do not know how much is too much.
Windeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 02:39 PM   #18
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78

I always had flex in my Cruiser, Randy stated the amount I had was normal. When I was at the factory they had to repair a small defect in the plastic-like underside of the pin box area. There were no defects and no issues with the frame.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 03:10 AM   #19
Weekend Camper

from a experience with another brand if you see up and down movement, get it checked by yourdealer, had the pin box structure fail, where it was attached to the frame. there is a lot of torque in this area.
Lstreutker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 04:17 AM   #20
hhh
Seasonal Camper

Can anyone tell me how many bolts you have holding your pin box to the frame? Mine originally had 5 on each side but one was taken out by the dealer when they lowered the pin box. Lippert is saying it came with 6 bolts and the reason for the flex is because there are now only 4. My observations are that the pin box is not slipping on the frame but that the whole frame is moving.