Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2017, 10:03 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

PullRite auto slider comparison

Been going back and fourth on which hitch to purchase. Looking at both the 2700 & 2900 models. Anyone have any experience with these? I've been leaning towards the 2900 for the 18k capacity even though the 16k 2700 is more than enough for my current setup. (32BL) Just trying to look ahead to the future, may upgrade down the road and would hate to have to purchase another hitch because I cheaped out the first time around. Biggest thing that keeps pushing me back to the 2700 is the hitch height. After reading reviews online there seems to be a lot of complaints that the 18" height of the 2900 is too high for a lot of trailers. Being that my truck is a '13 and 5'er is an '07 I'm already pushing the ride height. Anyone use the 2900 and experience the height problems I'm reading about? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:30 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

JB
I have a pull rite and think you make a wise choice to buy pull rite...I think you should call the company their customer service is excellent...Someone there, I would think, should be able to help with your inquiry...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 11:17 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

The only hitch I had for our 38GK, worked great on our short bed ford.

Too bad you are not in Texas, my 18k is sitting in the garage and I can make you a BANG up deal...

but to ship it ? that WOULD BE A TREAT
Old 01-20-2017, 11:19 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

Did it seem rather high for a 5th hitch or is it not an issue?
Old 01-29-2017, 01:31 PM   #5
Seasonal Camper

You're probably doing a good thing by looking ahead. I have the PullRite Superglide with the removable pegs in the bed of my GMC. I'd suggest looking at the bed height as well. I'm 57" from the ground to the bed rails. I had to add a 3" riser to the hitch to keep out of the bed rails. Then I had the camper raised to the top (bottom?) of the spring shackles to get a bit more height there.

These new trucks are getting to be a problem with the increased bed heights. At least the Dodge has the variable suspension, the GMC definitely doesn't.
2021 Alliance Paradigm 365RD
WoodcarvingGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 01:59 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

Thanks for the replies. I've actually thrown another wrench into the mix. Any opinions on the Sidewinder? Bout the same price as the 2700 but I don't have to worry about the pin box contacting the bed rails. I still have to get out there sometime with a tape measure too see if that will even be an issue. Haven't had the 5'er at a 90* angle yet too see what the clearance will be. I have a Reese manual slider right now but didn't have to use it to back the trailer into the driveway or when I parked it for the winter.
Old 01-29-2017, 03:34 PM   #7
Seasonal Camper

I'm not familiar with the Sidewinder but the auto-slider in the PullRite will spoil you. It is a bit interesting to back but you do get used to it. It does prevent the occasional cab customization.

I think I needed to add some more info to my setup. We have the 18,000lb SuperGlide with the clear bed option (ISR?). The pinbox is a TrailAir Tri-Glide. Before we put the extension on the SuperGlide to raise it about 3" I had to really watch corners that I didn't get into the bed rails. The extension helped but didn't cure it.

We put in the TriGlide and with the airbag at 85-90 lbs I get good clearance. I try to avoid 90° turns if at all possible since the SuperGlide gets fussy at that point. Also, I'm a little cautious about getting into the cab of the truck.

I do have a couple of inches clearance from the end of the pinbox to the bed rails if everything is level. I have "customized" my bed cover rails in a couple of places when I had a wheel drop into a whole while either backing or pulling a corner.

The only real issue with the SuperGlide in my estimation is hooking and unhooking. You have to hit it straight on because of the capture plate.

With anything like this, your results may vary.
2021 Alliance Paradigm 365RD
WoodcarvingGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 07:19 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

I just purchased a Pullrite 2700. I only have one trip on the hitch and that was when we pulled our 5er home a few weeks back so I can't offer years of towing experience. One thing I would like to offer is shop around. I ended up purchasing the hitch off Amazon website. Free shipping right to my door and the truck driver set right in the bed of my truck. No heavy lifting required. If I remember correctly, total cost brand new $993.
43tutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 02:11 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

So, after scouring the net for what seemed like an eternity, I came across this little gem on Craigslist.

So, needless to say, $300 and a little over 2 hrs round trip last night and I think my clearance issues may finally be behind me, (no pun intended)... Fingers crossed..
Old 04-27-2017, 04:13 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

I have a short bed ford f-250 and didn't want to blow out the back window when jackin in a tight space, so I got a Reese "sidewinder" fifth wheel hitch. I can jack 90 degrees and not worry.
2011 27' RLX
gregtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 04:18 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

I was gonna get a slider hitch, till I found out they weighed 300 lbs. I can remove my hitch in 5 min., so I have the use of my full bed when needed. Don't need a fork lift.
2011 27' RLX
gregtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 02:07 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

I've ordered a Demco slider hitch. It is supposed to be very similar to the Pullright. Anyone have any insights on the Demco? I believe it is an 18,000.

2017 CAF28SE
2018 GMC 3500 with 6.7 Diesel w/ Allison Transmission
Demco Auto Slider hitch
farsidefan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 09:12 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

the pullirtes can be taken apart with pins....
I have mine sitting in my garage

but to your point about weight... I'd rather the weight than it not having the strength to handle an 18k trailer
Old 05-01-2017, 02:28 PM   #14
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBOURQUIN View Post
So, after scouring the net for what seemed like an eternity, I came across this little gem on Craigslist.

So, needless to say, $300 and a little over 2 hrs round trip last night and I think my clearance issues may finally be behind me, (no pun intended)... Fingers crossed..
What a steal. You might need to buy a custom wedge for your specific hitch.
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 03:46 PM   #15
Weekend Camper

I've been looking at the wedges. The Airborne came with the universal one, I'll have to see how it fits before I order one. It's only $50 so I may get one anyway, most people seem to think they hitch better with the hitch specific wedge rather than the universal one.

Here is my hitch:

Old 05-09-2017, 01:53 PM   #16
Weekend Camper

Well, finally got around to installing the Airborne today. Also took out my slider rails and installed the stock arms. Unfortunately, I may not be able to use this setup. I measured from the hitch head to the top of my bed rails, 5 1/2". Then measured from the trailer nose down to the top of the pin on the Sidewinder, 16 1/2"!! That's gonna put me at just about 11" of clearance between the trailer and the bed. With the slider and stock arm installed I had just about 6" of clearance and the trailer already looked to be slightly nose high. Not bad, but enough to notice. With 11" between the two the damn things gonna be pointing up in the sky. Ive got my hitch on the lowest mounting point and the sidewinder as high as I can get it without cutting off the bottom of the pin box. I'd really rather not do that except as an absolute last resort. Axles on the trailer are already under the springs so no room to play there. I tell ya, nothing wants to work in my favor lately.