Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2014, 03:59 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Reese dual cam question

Can someone tell me how to adjust a reese dual cam set up to put more weight on the front of my truck.Did all the measurements today and there is only an 1/8 of inch difference between unhooked and hooked read on line that everything should be level again after draw bars are hooked.I have a sway problem that I just can't get rid of,have tried just about everything including back to the dealer.Thanks in advance.
D&J'sZinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 05:28 PM   #2
Weekend Camper

If you are getting only a 1/8" diff on the front of the truck hooked vs. unhooked, I'd say it is set up properly. What is your tow vehicle and how long is your travel trailer? With my setup I don't get trailer sway, but I do get that squirrelly feel when a semi pulls up behing me and passes me.
2014 Ram Hemi Outdoorsman 3:92RE
2013 ST Reserve 30RE
p4lrjfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 06:24 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Within 1/8" is acceptable. You can go weigh at a scale to double check weights though.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 08:34 PM   #4
Seasonal Camper

If your having sway issues I would suspect you don't have enough tongue weight.
Reese DC
hondavalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 09:53 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondavalk View Post
If your having sway issues I would suspect you don't have enough tongue weight.
...x2.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 06:17 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

My TV is a 2012 GMC extended cab 4x4,tt is a ztr25rb.When hooked up trailer has a nose down stance.So how do I get more tonge weight add some to the front storage compartment?
D&J'sZinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:24 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Yes you need to add more weight forward of the wheels. In my tt we used under the bed and the pass thru to help. We also will put some things like an extra cooler if we have it in the front bedroom. I have seen as little as moving a 25 lb object from the back of the tt to the front of the tt. Also, 6100 lbs dry can be a lot of weight for some half tons (you didn't say so I'm guessing you have a 1500). I would weigh your combo. Weigh the truck by itself with each axle on a separate pad. Then weigh the truck with the tt attached and wdh not hooked up. Finally weigh the truck with tt and wdh hooked up. When weighing truck and trailer you want each truck axle on a separate scale pad and both tt axles on the third scale pad. For Cat scale you can do first weigh for $9-12 and then each reweigh is usually $1-2 in a 24 hrs period. Bring a long ice scraper or broom handle to push the button as it is very high up. You will need to tell them first weigh vs reweigh and private vehicle. If they still need a number, give them your favorite number.

These weights will tell you if you are truly within TV specs, what your true tongue weight is, and if you need to readjust your wdh. The goal with the wdh is to return the tv front axle to as close to unhitched weight as possible without going heavier. Do all of your weighing loaded with a full tank of fuel and all passengers, pets and gear you would take camping. You can keep crossing the scales til you get your numbers right. IMHO small price to pay for a good handling rig.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 10:35 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&J'sZinger View Post
My TV is a 2012 GMC extended cab 4x4,tt is a ztr25rb.When hooked up trailer has a nose down stance.So how do I get more tonge weight add some to the front storage compartment?
Nose down does not necessarily mean trailer is loaded correctly. Could simply mean your ball is not at right height etc. Since you say you only have a 1/8" difference between bumper heights I would suspect your ball height is not right as far as nose down stance.

Sway usually results from being to light on the tongue. Add another or move 50 ilbs to the front and see what that does.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote