Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2018, 03:37 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Replacing 5th wheel landing gear

I have a 1998 carri-lite 5th wheel. Earlier in the season we had problems with the Jack's. The RV guy redid all of the gears in the gearbox. We took it out maybe twice and went to hitch up and the lead Jack stopped working. 1/2 way on the ball of the truck and it wouldn't budge. We ended up cutting off the post. At that point, the other Jack would work. The manufacturer went out of business about 11 years ago. My RV guy told me the cheapest electric set he could find was around $650. After much research I found a set on etrailer.com made under their name for under $300. Since Lippert owns almost everything now days anyway there is a good chance it it manufactured by Lippert and has almost identical features to Stromburg Carlson.

Does anyone have any experience in this area, or any suggestions or cautions? The deal seems a little too good, but the regular price is close to the stromburg price, but then it is on sale ,and free shipping.
Dallasrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 06:48 PM   #2
Site Team

etrailer has a pretty good track record for standing behind what they sell. I guess I wouldn't be afraid to purchase it from them, but you have to do what you are comfortable with.
Have you called and talked with them about the jacks? Their staff seems to be knowledgeable, willing to help, and friendly.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 08:33 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Since the landing gear on a 5er is one of the most dangerous aspects of fifth wheel towing, I would be hesitant to buy the cheapest landing gear I could buy. As Lloyd mentioned, discuss the product with ETrailer and get actual reviews from previous purchasers. You could also talk to the reps at Lippert.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 10:11 AM   #4
Site Team

I agree on calling Etrailer first. Also you would want to take measurement's of your jack eg-height -width-measure the outer square tube where it attaches to the frame also note does it bolt on or is it welded on. And another thing if you want a electric jack make that price includes the motor.

And be sure to tell them what camper you have as there are different weight capacity's on the jacks. Don't want a set too small for your camper.

As Stan said the landing gear is one place you want to make sure that everything is on point.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 02:21 PM   #5
New Camper

I recently replaced mine with new landing gear from etrailer. Quality was good and they work fine.
OllieNorthie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 03:00 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

I showed the specs to my RV guy and he said they would work fine. I picked up the trailer today and they look good and seem to function fine. They were on sale for $80 off the already low price, so I am a happy camper again.
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 quad cab diesel w/ 8' bed
Dallasrules is offline   Reply With Quote