Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2016, 05:45 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Roadmaster Active Suspension

Does anyone have experience with this truck suspension mod? I have a Timberen unit and it is very harsh when the trailer is not hooked up. That means most of the time.

Roadmaster Active Suspension Kits | Helper Springs | Overload Springs

Dale
DC8Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 06:12 PM   #2
Site Team

I'm pretty sure mark5w has it on his truck, and seems happy with it. He should be along pretty soon and will give you some feed back.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 06:25 PM   #3
Site Team

I've had it on my F150 for 3 years now and like it. It was fairly easy to install, keeps the truck level, adds more support when there is a load on it, and does not engage until there is a load on the truck. This makes the ride very smooth when unloaded.
Plus, you do not have to install a compressor or have to fill up air bags and release the air when not towing.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 06:55 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
I've had it on my F150 for 3 years now and like it. It was fairly easy to install, keeps the truck level, adds more support when there is a load on it, and does not engage until there is a load on the truck. This makes the ride very smooth when unloaded.
Plus, you do not have to install a compressor or have to fill up air bags and release the air when not towing.
I currently have a Timbren system. When the trailer is not hooked up, which is most of the time, it engages almost immediately and even very small bumps are bone jarring.
Old 02-14-2016, 08:11 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

I'm looking at Timbren for my F150 over Firestone air bags. so any pros/cons is good info for me.
Old 02-14-2016, 09:17 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiveon View Post
I'm looking at Timbren for my F150 over Firestone air bags. so any pros/cons is good info for me.
You will probably have better luck with the Timbren since your truck is basically new. I have a 2002 so I think the springs have sagged a little. There is suppose to be room for the springs to work normally with light loads before the Timbren comes into play. I only have about a 1/4" of clearance so the Timberen comes into play almost immediately. That makes for a hard ride when empty. With the TT hooked up it works perfectly for me.

As far as air bags they are more expensive. I was told by several air bag dealers that they don't work well in our Colorado climate. The problem is that the air hose connections go bad because of the cold weather. I don't know if that is true or not but a couple of them didn't have another product so they were shooting them selves in the foot telling me that.

What I ended up doing is using the Timberen during camping season then changing them out with the stock bumpers for the rest of the year.

Good Luck,

Dale
Old 02-15-2016, 03:56 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Bowler304
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
I second these comments and absolutely love mine. I will be buying them for my next truck as well! I looked at bags but I saw so many post on having to air them up, rough ride, etc... I went this route and although have never had bags they work, easy install, ride is normal (mine is even better with my 10 ply tires), and trailer sway is greatly reduced.
Tow Vehicle - 2017 F250 Platinum 6.2 4:30 gear
Travel Trailer - Sunset Trail Super Lite ST290QB
Color : Enzo
Dry Weight 5,774 - Actual weight 6,767
Bowler304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 05:54 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

I have run airbags for years. I had them for 10 years in Alberta where it gas a lot colder than Colorado. Only had one time an airline started leaking. The first set I had to manually air up or down and was a pita. In the last 20 years I have had an on board Compressor so you just hot the button on the dash. The compressors have also been set up to air tires and run air tools. I have tried all kinds of different setups over the years and in my opinion you can not beat air bags.
woodwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 08:12 PM   #9
Site Team

BTW, I could not use the air box with my Pullrite Super Rail kit. Both the bags and rails connect to the frame at the same place which made it impossible to connect the air bags. But after having both setups, I prefer the Roadmaster.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 03:34 PM   #10
Family Vacation Member

I have a F250 2011, I had a extra leaf spring installed along with the Roadhandler Suspension System. I did it to stiffen up the suspension when I hook up the Cruiser 5th wheel, add the hitch and the 40 gal spare tank. Very little drop now, ride is not bad. I have done about 30k miles with the 5th wheel, been all over the country, different climates and Terrain.
I purchased it from Tampa Spring about 2 years ago and I went on their recommendations. I also talked to a Ryan Pasqualie, from the factory and he answered all my questions. Suspension is probably like a F350 now. Although I had both done, I'm satisfied. My 2cents.
Old 02-23-2016, 03:46 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

On my Ford Excursion I had the RAS and it worked well, when I traded the Ex in for the 250, I pulled them and sold it to another Ex owner in Houston...

Tried them on my 250 and the 5er I had was just too heavy for them, so returned them and got bags with the in cab controller and was in high cotton
Old 02-24-2016, 11:53 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

I put the RAS system on my excursion last year and it made a very big improvement. Before the trailer felt like it was wondering all over the place and sometimes felt like I was loosing it. Now after a trip from Denver to Seattle and back I felt no problems. Easy to install.
2001 ford excursion 7.3 diesel
Rick G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 09:37 AM   #13
Weekend Camper

Just picked up my Timbren SES. will let you know how it goes after mounting. Hopefully in the near future. Price was $247 CDN
Old 03-30-2016, 07:41 PM   #14
Full Time Camper

Air Bags

I like my air bags I put on my F250. Better ride empty and keeps truck level when pulling. easy to install and was $250 at Summit racing oline and was free shipping.
Faribault MN
LeBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 06:26 AM   #15
Seasonal Camper

I like the adjustability of my airbags also. For different loads and different trailers the air pressures can all be custom set. Have had them 4 years now and the cold has not caused any problems so far.
Reese DC
hondavalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 01:10 PM   #16
Weekend Camper

Timbrens installed. easy to do. Camping season starts May 13th up here. So just over a month to see how they work with the TT in tow.
Old 04-13-2016, 05:42 PM   #17
Weekend Camper

I have them on my truck and wouldn't tow anything without them. They do everything they say, are a 30 minute install with basic hand tools and it is truly "set it and forget it". Eliminates leaning in the curves and keeps the rear end planted on the ground. They do not give a rough ride unloaded and they keep you level when loaded.

Also, they are made in the USA. IMHO, they are the best upgrade you can do to your tow rig for the money. If you guys want to start a group buy for a discount, I am friendly with the guys at the factory. They are happy to do GBs.
Moogvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 05:16 AM   #18
Family Vacation Member

For those who went with the RAS springs, did you have them set with the 20% spacer, or 40%. I'm about to buy a 26BB, and would rather have them on before purchase so they can setup the WD correctly so I don't have to finagle with it to much later. Just curious. I hear that if you set them using the 40% spacer to an F-150 it will add an inch of height to the rear, where the 20% will keep it about the same.

Sincerely,
-Tim

-Tim

TV: 2015 F-150 XLT Crew Cab 3.5L Eco 4x4 Max Tow
TT: 2017 26BB
SB: Catalina 22
NoodlesWIU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 08:04 AM   #19
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Bowler304
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodlesWIU View Post
For those who went with the RAS springs, did you have them set with the 20% spacer, or 40%. I'm about to buy a 26BB, and would rather have them on before purchase so they can setup the WD correctly so I don't have to finagle with it to much later. Just curious. I hear that if you set them using the 40% spacer to an F-150 it will add an inch of height to the rear, where the 20% will keep it about the same.

Sincerely,
-Tim
Total lift for me measured at 3/4" but squat is little to none with the trailer on it. It also makes the truck smoother as well driving around unloaded. I love it, one of my best mods.

Now that said, I have 2.5" Bilstein adjustable upfront, and 3" spacer in the back.
Tow Vehicle - 2017 F250 Platinum 6.2 4:30 gear
Travel Trailer - Sunset Trail Super Lite ST290QB
Color : Enzo
Dry Weight 5,774 - Actual weight 6,767
Bowler304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 11:47 AM   #20
Weekend Camper

I have mine cranked up pretty good... To the point where you can fit a quarter in between the springs. That is the same size as the large spacer in the kit. The smaller one is the thickness of a dime so if you ever lose the spacers, you can use those coins.

I have added 3/4 ton springs under the rear in addition to my RAS and in turn had to lift the front to make the truck look decent. Here is before:

and here it is now:

Moogvo is offline   Reply With Quote