Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2011, 05:45 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Has anyone changed out the standard pin box for the trail-air roto-flex? Does make a noticeable difference in chucking? Trying to decided if I want to spend the money to upgrade.

2012 Crossroads Cruiser 31QB

B&W Companion Hitch

martinstwopopfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:29 AM   #2
Family Vacation Member

We upgraded to a Glide Ride pin box, absolutely NO regrets, worth every penny. The difference when riding on sections of I40 going west was remarkable. I would think the roto-flex would give you the same effect.

Kernersville, NC

2011 Ram 4500 SLT 4x4

2005 PF36SK
delqcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:41 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

The Roto-flex pin box came with our unit and I will tell you that I am not that impressed with it and I could not recommend it. I replaced the pin box on our 05 29RK with a MOR/ryde and will probably do the same on this unit at some point.
'04 Dodge 2500 Quadcab CTD
gball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:57 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Compared to our '07 30sk without the roto-flex, I think our '10 30skp tows better with the roto-flex. JMHO.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:06 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

When replacing the Pin Box be very careful. I would get it in writing from Lippert that it is ok. The reason I say this, is I have had a very unhappy experience with them. Having said this, CrossRoads did step up an help solve the problem. The events are as follows. After I purchased the unit, I had un believable chucking Took the unit back to the dealer several timed readjusted the hitch, I had all four tires taken off and rebalanced still the same. It was so bad that Janets back would go out about every trip. Then thank to several people here, I found out about Demco's Glide ride I had this installed and it was smooth sailing. Fast forward to last spring, I went to the Texas Rally and looked at the front of the unit and there were bulges out the side. One of our sharp eyed friends found where one weld was not there and the other on was broken by the Pin Box. There we were 750 plus miles from home. Called Crossroads and e mail pictures (thanks to another friend) No response. Took it to a local welding shop where they welded the broken brackets and went home. After returning home I called CrossRoads once more and talk to Randy. He though another person had dealt with the problem. We no longer had a dealer near me so I had to find a dealer that would work with us. Once more went to you did not buy it here go away type mentality Pointed out that I bought it Local and the dealer went out of business. Finally got it in and they took it apart. CrossRoads tried to have me deal directly with Lippert took all the picture of everything, and there was a lot of hidden breakage. They Turned down the claim because of the pin box was not their's. They also could not see where there was no weld in the pictures. Told them time after time I had it welded in Texas. I than pointed out to Crossroads that I had taken it in to the dealer early on with frame flex concerns. to be told it was normal. It was not. CrossRoads did step up and handle things to y satisfaction. But was with out the unit from March to July. Tips to look out for. If your trim piece by the pin box keeps coming loose during and after the trip you might have a problem. If the screws holding the trim up under the fifth wheel off set keeps coming loose you may have a problem. If your closet door is hard to open and you have to readjust it you may have a problem. It is not because the unit is not level. The out fit that had the pairs done brought in a certified welder,and the difference is really great. There was a lot broken in there and they re engineered it adding a lot of braces. The whole front cap had to come off back to the closet. The repair people measured the Demco against the stock pin box that came with the unit and they were the same spec's. Thank you CrossRoads for doing the right thing, Would have loved to take it to the factory for repairs but after looking at what all was broken, I do not think I would have made it there. By the grace of God and fools luck I am glad we made it home

Edited by: fhenn
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 03:04 PM   #6
hhh
Seasonal Camper

Lippert makes the RotoFlex and puts them as standard equipment on some Cruisers.

'11 CF285RL Patriot - '08 GMC 3500HD D/A CC LB Dually - Yamaha Zuma 125

tgif: let's RV
hhh is offline   Reply With Quote