Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2014, 08:05 PM   #1
Tre
Weekend Camper

Question Sunset Trail 300BH with 2005 Dodge Ram?

Just fell in love with the Sunset Trail 300BH, working on the deal now. The weight was slightly more than I was looking for so I'm here to ask your opinions.

TV
2005 Dodge Ram
5.7 liter
3.92 axle
Tow package
8600 max tow cap

TT
2014 Sunset Trail 300BH
Weight 6320
Hitch weight 674
GVWR 7674

Someone told me once before to keep GVWR of TT under the max cap of TV and I'd be fine. Looks to me like as long as I don't load up a grand piano for camping I should be fine, 1000 lbs under my max.

Using Anderson WDH and P3 brake controller.

I know to be 100% I need to check all my math on the charts and scales. I'm just asking in general, do you think this sounds like a safe setup?

Thanks
Awesome site!
Tre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:34 PM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Probably be ok, the biggest issue will be payload. Look om your drivers door jamb for the payload. Once loaded your tongue weight will around 900lbs. This 900 will come right off your payload. So I would start with finding that info.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:17 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

You should be fine. Looking at hitch weight and truck setup, I doubt you will be over on payload...but X2 on checking to be sure.
2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:22 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Posted this before, but darn if I can't find it.

Good site I've used for figuring out my towing capability

http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-...eight-tt.shtml

You're probably fine, but I looked at towing the same trailer with my F150 and it was just a hair too heavy for us..payload killed us, but thats with a quadcab full of people and all the stuff we carry (bikes, grand piano, etc). PLus I didnt order the 4.10s to tow since log the miles on the truck as my daily driver.

My point is the 3.92s got to keep you in the range to tow that trailer.

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:48 PM   #5
Tre
Weekend Camper

Ou guys are awesome, good tips and link. Thanks!
Old 04-30-2014, 01:55 PM   #6
Tre
Weekend Camper

Ohio Mark, you have the 300BH? How does she pull with your f150? What is your rated tow cap? There's a certified decal on the side of the TT that says 6320 pounds. You never got one of those updated weight decals after our purchase with a higher weight did you. Researching forest river, seems many buyers ran into that after their purchase.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:06 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tre View Post
Ohio Mark, you have the 300BH? How does she pull with your f150? What is your rated tow cap? There's a certified decal on the side of the TT that says 6320 pounds. You never got one of those updated weight decals after our purchase with a higher weight did you. Researching forest river, seems many buyers ran into that after their purchase.

About 6K towing and no issues thus far. I have the Ford integrated brake controller and a ProPride hitch, so it sounds cliche, but I truly don't feel it back unless I get some nasty winds or I do a lousy job loading it.

I don't get anything from ProPride for promoting there product, but I've never had the "Giant Semi passing me tug on the wheel" with that hitch. Believe me, driving 3-4 days in a row gets old if you're wresting a trailer and we only had some pushing and shoving towing through high wind gusts in Iowa. I mean like, 40-50 mph stuff. Even so, the wind pushed the truck and the trailer simultaneously, no fishtailing. Everyone on the road that day was feeling it. The truckers were gliding in and out of lanes too.

My only inital regret was not upgrading to 10 ply tires. Driving in hot weather in the high winds I feel the stock tires feel a bit mushy at higher speeds.

I pulled the trigger on the 10 plys so we will see if that helps.

The truck pulls strong. The sticker on ours was around 6300ish. I did not receive an updated sticker from anyone. I do remember our trailer was heavier than the other 300BHs they had because of the upgraded electrical and 50 amp service prepped for a second AC.

My tow cap is 9700 with the 3.73's.

I installed AirLift airbags and they help with sag if I throw anything heavier (bikes, etc) than the usual camp gear in the bed (grill, charcoal, food).

Back to you, you should be fine if you dial in your hitch, load her right and keep it at the speed limit.

You will love that trailer. Nothing lighter on the market that size with all those amenities. Wise choice. Drove the Mrs. crazy hunting 2 years for a trailer. Yes. 2 Years.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:48 PM   #8
Tre
Weekend Camper

We've been shopping almost a year, looked at so many trailers we were beginning to get sick of it. Actually put a deposit on a flagstaff, the next day went by ONE more dealership, walked in the 300BH and for the first time we knew immediately "this is the one". Glad to hear you like yours so much. I appreciate all the feedback. I feel like I'm close to pushing the limit of my truck but just under that safety margin as long as we pay attention to our loading. Everyone's feedback made me realize, my truck cap will need to come off. A sacrifice I'm willing to make to make sure we are safe.

Thanks guys
Old 04-30-2014, 08:13 PM   #9
Family Vacation Member

Tre,

Welcome aboard and thanks for starting this tread with your question. I felt compelled to chime in as a fellow Ram owner. I'm going to take you through the steps I took to determine what trailer we ended up with. We have kids and needed bunks, wanted a sofa w/pull out bed, something in the 30' overall length range but not longer. Needed to be in the 800-850# range max tongue weight to allow payload weight for passengers and incidentals like bikes & such. Wanted a trailer in the 5000-5500# range that could be loaded with what we felt would be a max of about 1500# of gear so (total weight up to 7000#). So we found the ST270BH.

For me: GVWR of truck: 6800#, Trailer: 7000# (technically 7600# but we will never hit it). Combine both for a total of 13,800. My trucks max CGVWR is 15,650 lbs. Leaves me some cushion for travelling at altitudes by allowing for 3% loss of power/towing ability per 1000 ft in elevation. Since we plan on travelling west and north east with this trailer, I'm going to need that cushion at a mile in elevation.

That said, I ask that you do the same. Think about what you are going to do with the potential new purchase. IMHO you may not have quite enough truck unless you are very, very careful with loading it. Your max tow rating is only with one passenger, the driver. Once you start adding payload to your truck that number becomes smaller. Theoretically it could be as much as 1200-1500 lbs less once you take payload into consideration. My guess is your max CGVWR is in the 14,000 lb range. You do the math with the potential max weight of the trailer, potential max weight of truck and see where that puts you. You may be surprised.

Wish you the best on your decision, it's not one to make quickly or under duress of "the deal". Take your time and really really research what you are doing.
Propride 3P, Airlift 1000
MidOhioHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 05:09 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tre View Post
We've been shopping almost a year, looked at so many trailers we were beginning to get sick of it. Actually put a deposit on a flagstaff, the next day went by ONE more dealership, walked in the 300BH and for the first time we knew immediately "this is the one". Glad to hear you like yours so much. I appreciate all the feedback. I feel like I'm close to pushing the limit of my truck but just under that safety margin as long as we pay attention to our loading. Everyone's feedback made me realize, my truck cap will need to come off. A sacrifice I'm willing to make to make sure we are safe.

Thanks guys

Great point Tre!

Caps are one of those hidden things that contribute to the weight. Also, some folks forget the actual weight of the WDH.

I've said it a few times on the forum..get a tongue scale. Once you get the numbers from the CAT weigh station, you can use those as static weights for your calculation and play with the tongue weight in your driveway. Worthy investment IMHO.