Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2019, 05:58 PM   #21
Weekend Camper

Has anyone towed the limit of 13,200 lbs that Ford claims these trucks can tow now. I have an 05 F250 6.0 but it's getting time to replace it. I have a 32ft 10,000lb Salem Hemisphere 5th wheel which is just over 12,000lbs loaded. Just wondering what others have experienced towing that kind of weight with the F150 ecoboost. Cheers all.
donee11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 09:20 AM   #22
Gone Traveling

I don't/won't own a F150, but regardless of brand in my opinion 10k pounds is too much RV for any 1/2 ton pickup. Yes they will pull it but most likely be over on the payload. They advertise they can pull xxk lbs, but pulling a utility trailer loaded with that amount of weight is a very different experience than towing that same weight that's a 10-13' tall by 30'+ long wind catcher, like comparing grapes to watermelons.
I'd recommend another 3/4 ton or for very little more $$ go to the SRW 1 ton & you're ready for your next RV upgrade.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 11:52 AM   #23
Site Team

Check out the Ford Builders book.

Payload of F150 Crew Cab 3.5 TT =2400 to 2700 payload proper speced

Payload of F 250 Crew Cab 6.7 Diesel = 2300-2400 lbs.

Payload of F 350 Crew Cab 6.7 Diesel = 2300 to 3700 lbs.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 01:22 PM   #24
Gone Traveling

I agree what their brochure says, but the key words are "properly specd" & very doubtful you'll find many of those sitting on dealers lots. Til you look at the sticker on the drivers door on a specific truck you won't know that it's the "properly specd" truck or not, they are not all created equal. And still a 1/2 ton pickup!!
Old 09-30-2019, 03:02 PM   #25
Family Vacation Member

My experience is that if the tail outweighs the dog by too much, the dog doesn't control the tail. Capacity(gvwr) and tow capacity specs for the vehicle combined with trailer specs are factors that need to considered when deciding on an appropriate tow vehicle. Braking ability is also a paramount issue. Capacity specs are determined based on dry weights and therefore you must subtract any additional added weights to both vehicles from those numbers - i.e. passengers, water, pots and pans, clothing, pets, and every other etc. Next you have to look at the total combined weight and determine where you stand in terms of total loaded weights of both the vehicle and TT. And lastly, where do you plan to haul - Rockies, Adirondacks, or Plains? At the end of the day, for what it's worth, my 2 cents are Ford 350's and Chevy 3500's may not even be readily capable depending on the terrain you intend to pull through with the combined weight you have. It becomes a choice of comfort, safety, and durability. Best wishes on finding the right vehicle your first time.
Reese Weight Dist. w/friction sway control
jmnsn57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 05:42 PM   #26
Weekend Camper

My thoughts exactly travelin texans. Just wondering if its a case of the dog wagging the tail. With all these advancements in electronic ride control maybe times are changing though.
Old 09-30-2019, 05:52 PM   #27
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post

mark5w

How does that setup you have there in your signature behave in the wind and when your passing transports etc?
Old 09-30-2019, 07:17 PM   #28
Site Team

I have no problem with wind or being passed by 18 wheelers. Even on the PA turnpike where the lanes are lined with tall dividers there is no buffeting. I've traveled up and down the east coast on interstates and secondary roads, no problem. I often look in the rear view mirror to see if the Rv is still there.

Calling the truck a half ton is a misnomer, since it is not what the older half ton pick ups were. But, to each his own.

The specs I use are not from a brochure, they come from the Fords Builders Book under Body Builders Layout Book tab.

Here, you can check out all the specs for yourself. It covers Ford trucks as far back as 1999. https://fordbbas.com/publications

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Old 09-30-2019, 07:31 PM   #29
Site Team

Not a Ford comment but a 5th wheel pulls different then a bumper pull.I have had both and will never go back to a bumper pull. Yes they are taller and have more wind resistance but you have NO sway and big rigs do not affect it.

I will state this and this is just my opinion; If you put under the rated weight on the truck and it squats so bad that you need some form of "helper" spring or air bags i believe the weight ratings are over stated. But this is just my opinion yours may very.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 10:58 PM   #30
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post

The OP states his 5th wheel weighs in at over 12k which equates to 2400-3000 pounds (20-25% typical 5th wheel) of pin weight which is at the max F150 (and most other 1/2 tons) payload, as per the numbers listed above, before adding hitch, people, pets, camping gear, toolbox & with no water on board. From the weight ratings posted here the OP is already in the SRW 1 ton weight category.
Old 10-02-2019, 10:35 AM   #31
Full Time Camper

The payload question is definitely where all should be looking.

Regardless of opinions on 1/2 or 3/4, payload is the magic number. I also agree that if you have to "modify" your truck by adding helpers or air bags, maybe you need a different truck.

I'd be curious to see how many 2500 diesel owners are over payload because they are towing a 5er that should be matched to a 1-ton.

My suggestion is look at payload sticker for specific truck you are test driving. Know where you need to be before you shop.
2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 10:57 AM   #32
Site Team

I don't buy that adding booster springs or air bags means your truck is not the right one for your rv. I've seen almost every category of truck squat. If your truck is not squatting, then it must be as stiff as a brick. Raising it with a supplemental suspension will even out the ride.

Old 10-02-2019, 12:03 PM   #33
Site Team

I understand why the big 3 went to softer springs. A truck used to ride like well a truck. Now they ride like a good car. Sales drive design. And this is not ford related or brand specific they all did it. And yes my 2008 2500hd rides like a truck and i do not mind because i have a car for a car and a truck for the heavy loads. My cruiser puts over 2100# in the bed not counting the fire wood and toolbox. It sits a little proud in the rear empty but when loaded it sits level on the overloads. No squat. And it rides like a truck.

I guess my point is and this is JUST MY OPINION truck sales have exploded and have become the main vehicle for a lot. Some trucks never see more than a few bags of soil form the home improvement store. So i believe to meet the ride quality they softened the springs and thus the load capacity. But to compete they also need to have good load capacity on paper so to keep brand loyalty they raise the load capacity numbers. Its them trying to have the best of both worlds that the consumer demands. But if the advertised load capacity is XXXX then if i put XXXX in the bed it should sit level not squat. To me level is the load capacity lower than that is overloaded. But as i say ITS MY OPINION.

But this thread is about the Eco boost which has proven to be the little engine that could. Now if they would make a truck with that motor and a honest load capacity. With no helper springs or air bags needed to hold up the advertised weight i may be in the market for a new truck.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 03:35 PM   #34
Gone Traveling

Air bags or suspension supplements are for leveling the ride height PERIOD! They will do absolutely nothing to increase your payload. If you're exceeding the payload printed on the drivers door of your specific vehicle it doesn't matter what the manufacturer of said truck advertises the max trailer towing weight, YOU ARE OVERLOADED......
Old 10-02-2019, 05:51 PM   #35
Family Vacation Member

Let me reiterate what I stated earlier. GVWR of each vehicle is the key here. . It is calculated with what is known as an FS (factor of safety) usually about 20% (.8) of the engineered rating. It is the mfgs. best guess/engineering as to suspension, braking, frame strength and other factors for both. Any mod that improves only one aspect will not mitigate the lack of strength engineered into the other components. If you don't believe me - have a discussion with your insurance agent about the vehicles you own, what you have as added weight in both vehicles, and whether you will be covered in an accident if either vehicle exceeds its gvwr or the combined gvwr of the tow vehicle.
Reese Weight Dist. w/friction sway control
jmnsn57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 08:47 AM   #36
Weekend Camper

As an update --

Closest I have come to taking the plunge yet. Found a used 2019 F150 STX 3.5 ecoboost Ford certified with 3k miles.

Has max tow (not max payload) with 2k payload. Towing mirrors, running boards, 4x4, 10 speed, 3.55 axle, 36 gal tank. all in the color I want. Original sticker was 50K, listed now for 36K. I expect I can get better since they have had it for 2 months and with being on the brink of zombie apocalypse (been watching).

It should pull my 6k load nicely. Only thing stopping me is the quad cab/short bed. Been looking for 6.5 bed and extended cab and 2 wheel drive. Then I think...do I really need the 6.5 bed since most of the stuff goes in the trailer anyways. Never had 4x4 before.

I may just go with my current truck as trade and make a ridiculously low offer and see what happens. Wife says pull the trigger already....lol. I been looking around, mostly online, since I started this thread.
4X4, 3.73 gears, 6.4 gas engine
xltjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 09:17 AM   #37
Site Team

Looks like you found a nice one Jim. Gear ratio is right in the middle of what's offered.
I have 3.73's. It's good this truck you are looking at doesn't have the 3.31.
You didn't say anything about what ply tires it has. If it's the wimpy 4 ply, you would need different tires.
Now that 6000# you stated is dry weight . Correct?
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 10:03 AM   #38
Weekend Camper

Thanks Lloyd. Yes it has the base tires and I figure that could be part of negotiating to upgrade or at least try to get a deal on the LT's. The dry weight sticker I found in the camper states 4322. I weighed it last year loaded up with gear and water ready to camp and came in at 6K.
4X4, 3.73 gears, 6.4 gas engine
xltjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 06:24 PM   #39
Site Team

That being the case, it should make you a pretty good truck. If you have any thoughts of getting a BIGGER rig, you might want look more. I wish mine had the 10 speed tranny.
Enjoy the trade time. It's half the fun.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote